TV show binging - making and asking for recommendations

13 hours ago, D-BONE said:

If you liked 1st two seasons of the Sinner, I'd check out 3rd. Still has that feel and Bill Pullman. Storyline not as compelling as first two, but not bad.

Just couldn’t get into it. We only watched the first 2-3 episodes until we realized we didn’t care about the character or what was going on. So we switched to The Stranger, which has a similar feel but hooked us in the first episode. 

I watched Designated Survivor this winter.  I loved season 1 and enjoyed season 2, but I thought season 3 was awful.  Way too much politics for me.  I couldn't even make it through it.  Just didn't care about the whole election thing they went for that season.

Some Netflix shows I've watched lately that have been good were Stranger Things, You, and Money Heist.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Money Heist since it is in Spanish and dubbed over in English, but I thought it was awesome.  I got used to it quickly, and barely even noticed their mouths didn't match up with the words.  Season 4 comes out April 3rd.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I watched Designated Survivor this winter.  I loved season 1 and enjoyed season 2, but I thought season 3 was awful.  Way too much politics for me.  I couldn't even make it through it.  Just didn't care about the whole election thing they went for that season.

Some Netflix shows I've watched lately that have been good were Stranger Things, You, and Money Heist.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Money Heist since it is in Spanish and dubbed over in English, but I thought it was awesome.  I got used to it quickly, and barely even noticed their mouths didn't match up with the words.  Season 4 comes out April 3rd.

Agreed on designated survivor, first 2 seasons were pretty good.  3rd season SJW BS.

I'm getting really tired of race and sex identity confusion issues polluting tv. I find myself rewatching alot of the 90's shows I grew up with. Nash Bridges anyone, Saves by the Bell anyone?

I don't watch much TV beyond sports and news, and 50% of my enjoyment of TV has been pared, so started looking for new things to watch...

My wife heard on Today, or GMA, or one of those goofy shows she watches about a Netflix show called "Tiger King" which is about people who own big cats or run roadside zoos featuring them, so we gave it a go...

I'll say this, if they ever fire up freak shows at the circus again, there must be an audience for them...These people were beyond belief...

So, still looking...

On 3/27/2020 at 2:15 AM, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

All on HBO.

1. Game of Thrones

2. The Wire

3. The Sopranos

4. Rome

5. Deadwood

6. Silicon Valley

I gotta say that GoT and The Wire are possibly the two greatest series ever.

Especially The Wire. I’m still amazed that the f’d up societal problems and the bureaucratical block to fix them can so be so well summed up in one series. And the frustratingly great thing about the show is that you get an understanding of the bigger picture, why these problems are so hard to solve, and that the gray area is way bigger than you think. I’m not sure I could ever say that a fictional tv show gave me a more well-rounded perception of our society. If you never watched the show you’d think that last statement is crazy...if you have watched the show you probably know exactly what I’m talking about. This, is why The Wire is one of the best ever.

Edited by tdhoosier

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I gotta say that GoT and The Wire are possibly the two greatest series ever.

Especially The Wire. I’m still amazed that with so many f’d up societal problems and the bureaucratical block to fix them can so be so well summed up in one series. And the frustratingly great thing about the show is that you get an understanding of the bigger picture, why these problems are so hard to solve, and that the gray area is way bigger than you think. I’m not sure I could ever say that a fictional tv show gave me a more well-rounded perception of our society. If you never watched the show you’d think that last statement is crazy...if you have watched the show you probably know exactly what I’m talking about. This, is why The Wire is one of the best ever.

I absolutely believe The Wire should be taught at high school or colleges across the country as a course. Teaching kids how things work early on (all levels of the show) can only benefit our cities and country later on. Can't tell you how many times when I read a press release or here about a crime that is being covered....or school problems (class size, safety, curriculum) I always go back to The Wire.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't watch much TV beyond sports and news, and 50% of my enjoyment of TV has been pared, so started looking for new things to watch...

My wife heard on Today, or GMA, or one of those goofy shows she watches about a Netflix show called "Tiger King" which is about people who own big cats or run roadside zoos featuring them, so we gave it a go...

I'll say this, if they ever fire up freak shows at the circus again, there must be an audience for them...These people were beyond belief...

So, still looking...

Wow.  I watched the first episode of the “Tiger King” and while I was astonished by all the awesomeness going on, I’m not sure my head can handle that degree of overstimulation right now. Haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I absolutely believe The Wire should be taught at high school or colleges across the country as a course. Teaching kids how things work early on (all levels of the show) can only benefit our cities and country later on. Can't tell you how many times when I read a press release or here about a crime that is being covered....or school problems (class size, safety, curriculum) I always go back to The Wire.

EXACTLY. It’s been about 10 years since I watched the show and still say that! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wow.  I watched the first episode of the “Tiger King” and while I was astonished by all the awesomeness going on, I’m not sure my head can handle that degree of overstimulation right now. Haha

I did figure out pretty early that "Exotic Joe's" enterprise didn't have much of a dental plan...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I did figure out pretty early that "Exotic Joe's" enterprise didn't have much of a dental plan...

This is one of those shows I'll get to eventually. Have heard some reaction/opinions and at some point I'll watch. I'm busy trying to clean up a few series that I just need to finish....need to get current with Better Call Saul (season 4 right now), watch Ozark 3 this weekend for idiot spoilers start leaking.....and I feel obligated to finish up Stranger Things. At this pace I should have those all done by Tuesday/Wednesday and will take a look at Tiger King. I've also been told to watch The Stranger and some Spenser show I think.

Bosch on Amazon Prime might be my favorite show I've watched up to this point in my life. Titus Welliver is perfect for the role.

I believe a lot of the people who made The Wire are involved with this show, too.

If you like sci fi, The Expanse is great, and Altered Carbon is really good, too.

So, in the last week, I've watched the following on Netflix:

Season 1 of 'Secret City' (6 episodes) - Political drama with a fictional story about political relations between Australia, China, and the U.S.  Main story surrounds the Chinese incarceration of an Australian college student who makes a very public anti-government statement about China while in China.  The story itself is a little convoluted and difficult to follow sometimes.  But, in the end,I felt it was worth the investment to watch.  Some strong acting performances, especially from Anna Torv, who stars as a political investigative reporter for Australia's equivalent of The Washington Post.  A lot of related side-stories and a significant twist at the end.  There is a Season 2 as well, and I likely will watch it at some point before things get back to normal in the world.

'The Stranger' (8 episodes) - Based on a Harlan Coben book by the same name.  I had read the book, so I knew the general plot line and where things were going.  But, I still thoroughly enjoyed the show.  Essentially the show revolves on a stranger that goes around town, sharing secrets that people would rather keep hidden.  Several secondary plot lines revolve around the main story of a woman that goes missing after her secret is revealed to her husband.  Some of the subplots are more interesting than others, but overall I found it to be worth the invested time.  If you have not previously read the book, there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns to keep things interesting.  

On 3/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, tdhoosier said:

The wife and I started Tiger King last night around 8pm and finished it around 2am. Just could not turn it off. Interesting to say the least 

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I highly recommend Mindhunters on Netflix. 

I think this is the one I'm starting up next. Loved the forensic linguistics aspect of Unabomber series. Hopefully this is in same ballpark. Just finished Ozark 3 last night so looking for new one to go with my Better Call Saul Season 4 I'm mixing in. 

• Like 1

I'm writing this knowing full well any reputation I've built up on this board will come crashing down with the following admission...

MTV's Challenges are my favorite thing to watch on TV. 

It's pure trash, but entertaining trash and I look forward to every season. One of my friends has been trying to get me into a fantasy challenge league for the last 3 years. I just might do it for this new season which is starting on Wednesday if I haven't already missed the draft.  #wes4life

• Like 1