TV show binging - making and asking for recommendations

On 5/2/2022 at 8:09 AM, tdhoosier said:

Anybody watch Naked and Afraid XL? This is the “all-star” version of Naked and Afraid, where they follow around the same groups for the entire season. My wife and I love it and the new season started last night.

I just recently tried fubo tv and decided to keep it. Watched some of the original when it started. Have caught myself and the wife watching it. I don't know why it's entertaining because the concept is ridiculous but I can't stop watching.

I do make fun of the people and their lack of skills. 

• Like 1

Started watching season 4 of Stranger Things this weekend. I believe it was released Friday on Netflix. So far 3 episodes in and it is darker than the previous 3 seasons. The kid actors definitely had a major growth spurt in the 2-3 years between filming the previous season and the current one.

Watching "The Unauthorized History of the Vietnam War" on Fox Nation (free first year for veterans). 

Very interesting documentary. The storyline about Robert McNamara and his insistence that "metrics" could win a war (or a baseball game for that matter 😉) shows how shortsighted he was in matters of armed conflict. Some really good footage as well. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Watching "The Unauthorized History of the Vietnam War" on Fox Nation (free first year for veterans). 

Very interesting documentary. The storyline about Robert McNamara and his insistence that "metrics" could win a war (or a baseball game for that matter 😉) shows how shortsighted he was in matters of armed conflict. Some really good footage as well. 

I am ashamed to admit it, but I know very little about the Vietnam War.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While in quarantine the last couple of days, I've watched the first two episodes of The Terminal List on Amazon Prime.  It's an 8-episode season based on the Jack Carr novel of the same name.  The book was the first in a series featuring ex-Navy Seal James Reece.  I've read the books, and didn't really care for the Terminal List when I read it.  Thought it was a touch too violent.  But, I enjoyed the next two books in the series quite a bit more as the Reece character continues to develop.

Without giving away any important plot information, The Terminal List is set in the aftermath of a Seal Operation gone very badly. Reece led the mission and is convinced it was a setup.  I say anything else and I start giving away plot spoilers.  The first two episodes are very intense and translated very well to TV.  It's worth watching even if you have not read the books.  Chris Pratt stars as Reece.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

While in quarantine the last couple of days, I've watched the first two episodes of The Terminal List on Amazon Prime.  It's an 8-episode season based on the Jack Carr novel of the same name.  The book was the first in a series featuring ex-Navy Seal James Reece.  I've read the books, and didn't really care for the Terminal List when I read it.  Thought it was a touch too violent.  But, I enjoyed the next two books in the series quite a bit more as the Reece character continues to develop.

Without giving away any important plot information, The Terminal List is set in the aftermath of a Seal Operation gone very badly. Reece led the mission and is convinced it was a setup.  I say anything else and I start giving away plot spoilers.  The first two episodes are very intense and translated very well to TV.  It's worth watching even if you have not read the books.  Chris Pratt stars as Reece.   

Just watched the 3rd episode of the series.  Man, this is a really well-done show.  Absolutely worth a watch even if you have not read the book.   

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Just watched the 3rd episode of the series.  Man, this is a really well-done show.  Absolutely worth a watch even if you have not read the book.   

I'm through episode 3 as well. Agree it's a good watch. 

I wonder how the ratings will compare to Reacher? 

14 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just started a The Terminal list so I skipped the posts on it. I’m only one episode in. The whole thing seemed familiar to me. I realized part way through that episode I had read the book. 

We just finished a series titled The Tourist on HBO Max. We really liked that. 

There aren't really any spoilers in our posts above.  I'm 4 episodes in and I have to say the tv series is helping me better understand the nuances of the book.  I mentioned above that it was not a book I liked that much, but the tv series is piecing some things together for me that I missed in the book.  If you enjoyed the book, then I encourage you to read the next two in the series.  I liked them a lot better.  The character develops and the violence, while still there, does not seem as overwhelming in the latter two books.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just finished Stranger Things last night. Not sure what to think. Definitely setting up for the final season.

I started watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. Steve Martin and Martin Short are so good together and Selena Gomez plays the perfect snarky young person 

I really wanted to like this season of Stranger Things, but it just seemed so formulaic and same-ish. 

• 3 weeks later...

My son got me to watch Stranger Things and Ihave really enjoyed it and looking forward to Season 5. I just saw that Millie Bobbi Brown of Stranger Things will be attending Purdue. If true she will definitely be the best thing to come out of PU since Neil Armstrong. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/08/14/millie-bobby-brown-stranger-things-purdue/10323536002/

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Just finished the last season of Peaky Blinders. Cillian Murphy deserves whatever awards he’s nominated for. 
Read that they are going to make a follow up movie that takes the story through the end of WWII.

I'm like 3 or 4 episodes from finishing. It's been my all time favorite series. Ozark and Yellowstone the others. 

I found out one of my favorite mini-series back in the day is on YouTube (for free) Both "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" are out there. They're based on novels by Herman Wouk, probably my favorite author ("The Caine Mutiny" is a classic as well). I'm not much for fiction, but when I do watch it, I like it being based on historical facts... anyway, Episode 1... 

• Like 1