TV show binging - making and asking for recommendations

We usually take Thanksgiving week to binge seasons of multiple shows. Of these which one would people suggest first. Yellowstone, The Last Kingdom or Succession? We've been trying to watch but with life/work during these times by the end of most days it seems like a drink or two and just zoning out is all we have left in the tank by 8 or 9.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We usually take Thanksgiving week to binge seasons of multiple shows. Of these which one would people suggest first. Yellowstone, The Last Kingdom or Succession? We've been trying to watch but with life/work during these times by the end of most days it seems like a drink or two and just zoning out is all we have left in the tank by 8 or 9.

Cant say anything about the other 2 but I really like Yellowstone.  Definitely recommend trying it out. 

• Like 1

Just now, jv1972iu said:

My wife and I really enjoyed it.  Very creative in its storyline presentation and terrific visual depictions of a chess player's vision, I thought.  Highly recommend.  Neither my wife nor I play chess, btw.  😊

Yeah, we don’t either, but I keep hearing so many good things about it. Definitely going on our list. 

You wouldn’t think it would be compelling, but it kind of reminds me of a manga series I used to read a long time ago about the Japanes board game Go. It was super compelling and often stressful. 

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, we don’t either, but I keep hearing so many good things about it. Definitely going on our list. 

You wouldn’t think it would be compelling, but it kind of reminds me of a manga series I used to read a long time ago about the Japanes board game Go. It was super compelling and often stressful. 

The original story was a novel written by Walter Tevis.  He also wrote The Hustler, if you're familiar with that novel, which was also a movie you might have seen.  Once I discovered that Tevis wrote Gambit, I could immediately see similarities to Hustler with regard to style of writing and subject matter.  It's much more than a story about chess.

20 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The original story was a novel written by Walter Tevis.  He also wrote The Hustler, if you're familiar with that novel, which was also a movie you might have seen.  Once I discovered that Tevis wrote Gambit, I could immediately see similarities to Hustler with regard to style of writing and subject matter.  It's much more than a story about chess.

I recall seeing the movie poster for the movie, but have never seen it. I love series that you wouldn’t think would be interesting, but they take the subject and the characters and make it something compelling. 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:08 PM, 5fouls said:

I've watched the first two episodes of The Queen's Gambit on Netflix this week.  Phenomenal so far.  

we flew through that. Loved it.

And I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but Ted Lasso is outstanding. I watched the season once and now that I finally convinced my wife to watch it (she loves it too), I'm finding I'm watching the season a second time through. 

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My wife has been watching The Crown. I like some aspects from a history point of view. 

My wife and I just finished season 4 last night.  Overall we liked it, but probably not as much as earlier seasons.  Not thrilled with some of the actors chosen to portray certain persons...and some of the storylines chosen were not as interesting.  Just our humble opinion.  Still worth watching, I believe.   😊

Edited by jv1972iu

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My wife and I just finished season 4 last night.  Overall we liked it, but probably not as much as earlier seasons.  Not thrilled with some of the actors chosen to portray certain persons...and some of the storylines chosen were not as interesting.  Just our humble opinion.  Still worth watching, I believe.   😊

I have found it pretty boring but being a former history teacher it has allowed me to do some teaching 

• 1 month later...

Anyone watched the OJ documentary on ESPN+ yet? We watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good. I grew up idolizing him in the NFL and his NFL/ Hertz days were kind of before my wife’s time. She only knew him as white van OJ. 

Really well done. We watched a couple years ago (if talking Made in America) but a really good watch showing all sides of the case. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Really well done. We watched a couple years ago (if talking Made in America) but a really good watch showing all sides of the case. 

Yeah, that’s the one. We are obviously late to the party - my brother-in-law just gave us his ESPN+ password. But yes, really well done so far. Looking forward to E2 tonight! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Anyone watched the OJ documentary on ESPN+ yet? We watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good. I grew up idolizing him in the NFL and his NFL/ Hertz days were kind of before my wife’s time. She only knew him as white van OJ. 

Is it the same 5 parter they showed on ESPN last year?

Never mind...read @Seeking6's reply...

Yeah, it was well done...

I always despised him because of the 68 Rose Bowl...

Edited by IUFLA

Yeah, that’s the one. We are obviously late to the party - my brother-in-law just gave us his ESPN+ password. But yes, really well done so far. Looking forward to E2 tonight! 

With a lawyer in the house it's always hard to watch any of these types of shows because instead of just watching I have to hear a play by play of what she would do differently than Marcia, Darden, and of course the other side of the aisle. 

Really, really good though. Let me know when you finish so we can chat on it. We are starting Cobra Kai...have to see what the fuss is all about. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Anyone watched Mindhunter? Just heard about it looking forward to it

It's not on my top 10 of the usual suspects but it's close. Really good if you like that type of show or thinking. Ever since I watched the Unabomber years ago I've been fascinated with forensic linguistics as a subject. This is in line with that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Is it the same 5 parter they showed on ESPN last year?

Never mind...read @Seeking6's reply...

Yeah, it was well done...

I always despised him because of the 68 Rose Bowl...

I think my first NFL season was like 1974 - was six at the time. I didn’t know what college football was back then! I liked how they covered tracking the first 2,000 season. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

With a lawyer in the house it's always hard to watch any of these types of shows because instead of just watching I have to hear a play by play of what she would do differently than Marcia, Darden, and of course the other side of the aisle. 

Really, really good though. Let me know when you finish so we can chat on it. We are starting Cobra Kai...have to see what the fuss is all about. 

Ha, I bet! I was surprised how much they covered in the first episode. So am realizing those last few episodes are going to be all court drama. Will let you know when I finish!

I was talking to a friend about Red Oaks the other day and how it’s one of the most under-rated streaming shows. Anyway, it’s a coming to age series that takes place at a country club in the 80s. The main character works there during the summer. Great characters. Great writing. Great music. 

Highly recommended show if you are looking for something. It’s on Prime. 

Edit: adding trailer

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I think my first NFL season was like 1974 - was six at the time. I didn’t know what college football was back then! I liked how they covered tracking the first 2,000 season. 

That 68 IU football team was one of my favorite memories...lot of close games...Harry Gonso, John Isenbarger, Jade Butcher...

Then that damn OJ spoiled it...

I think I have a grudge issue...😉

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1