Transfer Portal--2020

rico

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly with the roster we have coming back and what we are adding...be really hard for me to see us adding anyone unless we are losing more than the 1 expected player. Lander isn't trying to reclassify to sit behind another guard and Al and Justin being seniors I don't see them happy sitting.

Are either Al or Justin looking and eligible for the grad transfer option?

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

20200323_110917.jpg

One point that Coach makes in his replies below this and I think makes the most sense is find a 6’7 or taller guy that has to sit one and has two or three years left that could learn this year and then be able to come in when Brunk and Justin and possibly TJD leaves. I think that would be perfect for us. I don’t see us getting a guard, the guard spot is already just so full and I don’t want to lose a single one of the young guys or the old guys because we bring in a one year rent (this is is not counting the young guy that is supposedly already out the door)

1 hour ago, HoosierKix said:

One point that Coach makes in his replies below this and I think makes the most sense is find a 6’7 or taller guy that has to sit one and has two or three years left that could learn this year and then be able to come in when Brunk and Justin and possibly TJD leaves. I think that would be perfect for us. I don’t see us getting a guard, the guard spot is already just so full and I don’t want to lose a single one of the young guys or the old guys because we bring in a one year rent (this is is not counting the young guy that is supposedly already out the door)

I like that 

Dunkin Dipo, you are SO right. I keep on pushing this one narrative. If something were to happen to TJD  ( early injury), we are Joey Brunk. Joey should contribute in many ways, but unless he mutates into Kofi Cockburn or Luka Garza in the off season, he represents one of the weaker centers in the league. It does not mean he cant contribute... he did last season. If IU ends up with Brunk as primary force underneath ( for any extended period of time), The Hoosiers will be fodder for any ( and all) teams with a scoring big. The guard play should be the best under CAM ( thus far). Another competent big also takes foul pressure from TJD and allows him to play harder and longer.... Dear Santa...

3 hours ago, John dykhuizen said:

Dunkin Dipo, you are SO right. I keep on pushing this one narrative. If something were to happen to TJD  ( early injury), we are Joey Brunk. Joey should contribute in many ways, but unless he mutates into Kofi Cockburn or Luka Garza in the off season, he represents one of the weaker centers in the league. It does not mean he cant contribute... he did last season. If IU ends up with Brunk as primary force underneath ( for any extended period of time), The Hoosiers will be fodder for any ( and all) teams with a scoring big. The guard play should be the best under CAM ( thus far). Another competent big also takes foul pressure from TJD and allows him to play harder and longer.... Dear Santa...

Thompson? 

Might be something might not be....but DJ Carton started following Steve Prohm (head coach at Iowa St). That was after he said he was deleting social media after the 19th.

One other thing to monitor. When Calipari starts giving interviews (giving one to Zagoria now) usually that means something is in the works transfer wise. He likes to cover things up front with media. I did find it funny Calipari said any coach who tampers with transfers should be fired. This coming from the guy who called Terrance Jones after he said yes to Washington. Oh Cal....

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Might be something might not be....but DJ Carton started following Steve Prohm (head coach at Iowa St). That was after he said he was deleting social media after the 19th.

One other thing to monitor. When Calipari starts giving interviews (giving one to Zagoria now) usually that means something is in the works transfer wise. He likes to cover things up front with media. I did find it funny Calipari said any coach who tampers with transfers should be fired. This coming from the guy who called Terrance Jones after he said yes to Washington. Oh Cal....

I get your point about the T Jones story with Cal, but.. I don't fault any coach for making his team better. 

There is no honor among thieves. You can get a player get them, don't do it illegally..  but if the only line you cross is the "immoral" one, so be it. I'd recruit any player I REALLY wanted until they signed on that line. 

That's the way football and baseball do it, so does plenty of the basketball coaches. 

I remember beating the brakes off a team in MS football game, sort of questioned if we should have really done that or not... my grandma told me after the game "you don't think they'd do that to you if they could?"

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I get your point about the T Jones story with Cal, but.. I don't fault any coach for making his team better. 

There is no honor among thieves. You can get a player get them, don't do it illegally..  but if the only line you cross is the "immoral" one, so be it. I'd recruit any player I REALLY wanted until they signed on that line. 

That's the way football and baseball do it, so does plenty of the basketball coaches. 

I remember beating the brakes off a team in MS football game, sort of questioned if we should have really done that or not... my grandma told me after the game "you don't think they'd do that to you if they could?

Hire your grandma as an assistant. #toughness

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Do as I say not as I do.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I remember beating the brakes off a team in MS football game, sort of questioned if we should have really done that or not... my grandma told me after the game "you don't think they'd do that to you if they could?

I think Lefty Driesell had a quote or comment once about it. He said he loved it when a kid committed....he knew who the competition was. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Alan Griffin leaving Illinois. After Ayo leaves he should/would have been in line for plenty of playing time.  Odd for sure. 

Interesting because his brother is a Duke Commit for the 2021 class wonder if he transfers and sits out a year to play with his brother

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Illini lose another one today. Tevian Jones....although this one wasn't a surprise. Either Underwood feels very confident in his incoming recruits or he has plans to add a transfer or two.

Not to mention Cockburn will go to the NBA, i'm guessing. Underwood must be hard to play for.

34 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Not to mention Cockburn will go to the NBA, i'm guessing. Underwood must be hard to play for.

Cockburn is a close call. Ayo is gone. I think they have a top 50 kid coming in but because it's rarely happened over there over the past decade....Watford, Williams,etc...were all top 50 guys but they aren't immediate impact. Much like some of us said back in January...Illini might have been a one hit wonder this past season. My guess is there are better chances of that happening than not. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cockburn is a close call. Ayo is gone. I think they have a top 50 kid coming in but because it's rarely happened over there over the past decade....Watford, Williams,etc...were all top 50 guys but they aren't immediate impact. Much like some of us said back in January...Illini might have been a one hit wonder this past season. My guess is there are better chances of that happening than not. 

It is a shame for them, I could see them going on a tear in the tourney if kindly seeded. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Illini have 2 top 50 guards coming in, Curbelo and Miller. As you astutely noted, Jones leaving was expected as the kid has been suspended for 25% of the games while at Illinois, just couldn't take care of things off the court. Griffin was a little more of a surprise since it seemed he had a pretty good opportunity next year. But there were some rumors about him transferring this time last year as well. Supposedly his mom thinks he should be "the man" and play PG, doesn't trust Underwood to let him do that. I do think most Illini fans do think he should have played a little more last year, but guess he's not going to wait and find out. Definitely hurts as he was by far the best 3 point shot on a team that was bad at that.

This is why Illinois brought in the 2 transfer wings who sat out last year. Both are probably just role player types, but they'll be 3rd year guys so a little older. Have also been poking around the transfer market with 1 of the Wichita St guys who was born in Champaign and a few others.

Archived