Transfer Portal--2020

rico

35 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Illini have 2 top 50 guards coming in, Curbelo and Miller. As you astutely noted, Jones leaving was expected as the kid has been suspended for 25% of the games while at Illinois, just couldn't take care of things off the court. Griffin was a little more of a surprise since it seemed he had a pretty good opportunity next year. But there were some rumors about him transferring this time last year as well. Supposedly his mom thinks he should be "the man" and play PG, doesn't trust Underwood to let him do that. I do think most Illini fans do think he should have played a little more last year, but guess he's not going to wait and find out. Definitely hurts as he was by far the best 3 point shot on a team that was bad at that.

This is why Illinois brought in the 2 transfer wings who sat out last year. Both are probably just role player types, but they'll be 3rd year guys so a little older. Have also been poking around the transfer market with 1 of the Wichita St guys who was born in Champaign and a few others.

Glad I've graduated from better than that to astutely. We'll see. I'm hearing a couple of things (besides Ayo and maybe Kofi) that might make me people ask what the heck is going on over there. Time will tell. 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Glad I've graduated from better than that to astutely. We'll see. I'm hearing a couple of things (besides Ayo and maybe Kofi) that might make me people ask what the heck is going on over there. Time will tell. 

Are you hearing about Watford and Williams? Who are those guys?

17 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Are you hearing about Watford and Williams? Who are those guys?

I brought up Watford and Williams as an example of how top 50 recruits (Miller or Curbelo) just aren't going to come in and save the day. Growing pains is the reference I was going for.

I'm hearing a couple of other things but last time I posted information about Illinois on an IU board one of the little twerps over there linked it up and I was inundated with direct messages. Turns out I was right but not going down that path again. If and when it becomes public I'll let you know if that's what I was hearing....just saying the transfers might not be over.

I know guys are transferring out of mid-majors more and more in general, but this is crazy how many people are dipping out of Wichita State this year. Gregg Marshall talks about a lot of it in the article I linked at the bottom, but still surprised to see it nonetheless.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article241321281.html

31 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

I know guys are transferring out of mid-majors more and more in general, but this is crazy how many people are dipping out of Wichita State this year. Gregg Marshall talks about a lot of it in the article I linked at the bottom, but still surprised to see it nonetheless.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article241321281.html

7 in one year after being on the job that long? Never happened I believe before. Time for Greggy to look in the mirror a little realize he's not in his old conference.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

UK's Juzang enters the portal.

Had a feeling earlier in the week when Cal started talking to the media we would see a transfer. He's predictable. I'll be surprised if it's his only one. Kidding aside from one of our former recruits...with the players they have coming in and returning....why would he think his minutes would go up? 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Still amazed at the number of people and will continue to be amazed at the number of people who wanted Marshall and his total package in Bloomington.

Agreed...I think people saw his fiery demeanor and saw some Knight in him...but man...he has Seems to have all Knights charm and none of his acumen. Dodged a big bullet with this one. He might have set Indiana basketball back to the Stone Age if he came. Would have been literally a death penalty for the program.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed...I think people saw his fiery demeanor and saw some Knight in him...but man...he has Seems to have all Knights charm and none of his acumen. Dodged a big bullet with this one. He might have set Indiana basketball back to the Stone Age if he came. Would have been literally a death penalty for the program.

Begs the question....

Given the last few years of Knight’s reign at IU weren’t spectacular and the fact that good players transferred out. Also taking into consider his average teams at TT. How long do you think Knight Would’ve lasted at IU if he didn’t get fired?

I don’t think he would’ve made it to 2010 and I’m being generous. Yes we probably would’ve seen players like May in an IU uniform and possibly Oden/Conlley, but I think he would’ve had trouble adapting to the new generation of players, there’d be more transfers, and there’d be further frustrations between him and the administration. 

13 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Begs the question....

Given the last few years of Knight’s reign at IU weren’t spectacular and the fact that good players transferred out. Also taking into consider his average teams at TT. How long do you think Knight Would’ve lasted at IU if he didn’t get fired?

I don’t think he would’ve made it to 2010 and I’m being generous. Yes we probably would’ve seen players like May in an IU uniform and possibly Oden/Conlley, but I think he would’ve had trouble adapting to the new generation of players, there’d be more transfers, and there’d be further frustrations between him and the administration. 

Not sure. You know I noticed a big change in him when he went to Texas Tech. He got back to coaching and teaching. He had crap for talent but he had changed his demeanor. If he could have done that at IU...the talent he could have still gotten there he could still win big...but I think that is the devil of it. The expectations and bar he had set at IU for himself would cause him to push for his perfect standard. I don’t know how long it would have lasted. The way it did probably was best for Knights legacy with his fans. Best we hate the admin then the coach in the end.

23 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Begs the question....

Just my personal opinion. When you reach Mount Rushmore level status in any profession or career it means you as a person just might be wired different and the need for winning/success/,etc...eventually outweighs the idea of "how things used to be" type thinking. 

Knight eventually would have changed and won big at IU because his internal pressure/desire to win would make him. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my personal opinion. When you reach Mount Rushmore level status in any profession or career it means you as a person just might be wired different and the need for winning/success/,etc...eventually outweighs the idea of "how things used to be" type thinking. 

Knight eventually would have changed and won big at IU because his internal pressure/desire to win would make him. 

I know what your saying but if Knight would have adjusted, does that take away the edge he had that made him great in the first place?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I know what your saying but if Knight would have adjusted, does that take away the edge he had that made him great in the first place?

Yes and no. I think he would have incorporated or changed his recruiting practices more than anything. The 2002 blend was his best Knight type of talent team and that would have been his model for the rest of his time. Great shooters, smart players....peppered with elite local talent like a Jeffries or eventually a May or Oden or Conley or whomever.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

i personally think these are great debates.  on a much smaller level, when i was coaching girls high school bball early in my career we won a conference championship and i yelled and screamed all the time, did the drills and prep that i thought were best, etc., etc.  later in my career the players i had needed to be coddled more and i had to be a little more buddy buddy off the court than i really wanted, and mostly had to be creative in my practices with new drills all the time and fun stuff to keep them from complaining and to keep them engaged and working hard.  that's honestly when i decided i didn't want to do it anymore.  i believed in order to get my girls to play hard for me i had to do drills that i didn't believe were as good as other drills i liked for example.  i had to take it easy certain days and times to keep them happy.  i don't believe that made them as good of basketball players that i could have because they more less wouldn't allow it.  unfortunately i think that is a trade off you have to make these days and thus don't get as much out of kids as you could.  i felt my strength was getting kids to play hard, but the only way i could still do it was to be who i was not.  that was emotionally draining.  make sense? 

Archived