Transfer Portal--2020

rico

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beamerball said:

Anyone think IU reaches out? 

I would think every coach in the country would. He's applying for immediate playing time waiver. If he doesn't get that he's headed pro or overseas. He said no way he's sitting out a year.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I would think every coach in the country would. He's applying for immediate playing time waiver. If he doesn't get that he's headed pro or overseas. He said no way he's sitting out a year.

I read someone on Twitter say we are too deep in the post to go after him. I don’t necessarily agree with that, we lost a big body in Deron who obviously didn’t contribute a ton but more than enough. It allows TJD to not strictly play the 5 when Joey checks out and allows Race a chance to play the 4 as well. I think you’re original post was spot on though, UK seems likely. 

17 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

I read someone on Twitter say we are too deep in the post to go after him. I don’t necessarily agree with that, we lost a big body in Deron who obviously didn’t contribute a ton but more than enough. It allows TJD to not strictly play the 5 when Joey checks out and allows Race a chance to play the 4 as well. I think you’re original post was spot on though, UK seems likely. 

Race is the 5 when he's in.  Trayce is only the 5 when Smith is the 4. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Breaking news sort of....All ACC Center, 7 footer Olivier Sarr is entering the portal. Absolutely best transfer player. My guess is UK will be involved asap. 

After missing out on Purdue graduate transfer Matt Haarms, who announced his commitment to BYU last week, Kentucky fans flooded Sarr’s social media pages in hopes of convincing the 7-foot star to put his name in the transfer portal and consider Lexington for his final year of eligibility.

And yes, Sarr noticed.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that; it was crazy,” he told ESPN. “It was funny and all that, but it got to a point where it was a little bit too much. Some Wake fans replied. I loved the loyalty from the Deacon fans. I love them, I appreciate what they did for me for three years. But Kentucky fans are really eager and thirsty for players.”

As crazy as it was, he understands the history of Kentucky basketball, calling it “one of the best programs in the country.”

“From what I know, it’s a historical program,” Sarr said in the interview. “It’s one of the best programs in the country.”

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

After missing out on Purdue graduate transfer Matt Haarms, who announced his commitment to BYU last week, Kentucky fans flooded Sarr’s social media pages in hopes of convincing the 7-foot star to put his name in the transfer portal and consider Lexington for his final year of eligibility.

And yes, Sarr noticed.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that; it was crazy,” he told ESPN. “It was funny and all that, but it got to a point where it was a little bit too much. Some Wake fans replied. I loved the loyalty from the Deacon fans. I love them, I appreciate what they did for me for three years. But Kentucky fans are really eager and thirsty for players.”

As crazy as it was, he understands the history of Kentucky basketball, calling it “one of the best programs in the country.”

“From what I know, it’s a historical program,” Sarr said in the interview. “It’s one of the best programs in the country.”

Interesting. So rabid fans do have a positive on programs? Who knew?? Haha

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

New cal model going forward with potential new draft rules?  Get all the top transfers.

Sampson used to say he wanted to get the best players possible for 2 years either on front end out of high school or back end (Juco or Transfer Route).

I agree with  you...I could see Cal start going the transfer route each year for at least 1-2 vets.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sampson used to say he wanted to get the best players possible for 2 years either on front end out of high school or back end (Juco or Transfer Route).

This is not directed at you, 6.

I have three words. Samsongate ! Sampsongate ! Sampsongate !

Best players, who failed drug tests, after not showing up for days after playing in Chicago. Best players who did not go to class. Best players that gave us 19 F's in one semester.

Sampsongate. Which led to IU's second NCAA sanction.... and caused us reduced numbers of scholarships.

Have always said Sampson knew how to coach the game.  However.... he really fubarred at IU.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

This is not directed at you, 6.

I have three words. Samsongate ! Sampsongate ! Sampsongate !

Best players, who failed drug tests, after not showing up for days after playing in Chicago. Best players who did not go to class. Best players that gave us 19 F's in one semester.

Sampsongate. Which led to IU's second NCAA sanction.... and caused us reduced numbers of scholarships.

Have always said Sampson knew how to coach the game.  However.... he really fubarred at IU.

Meh, Sampson didn't do anything really that wrong, IU self reporting killed us.  His biggest hit is that he never held his players accountable for anything.

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Meh, Sampson didn't do anything really that wrong, IU self reporting killed us.  His biggest hit is that he never held his players accountable for anything.

Beg to differ with you. Though it is no longer a rule.  Sampson, did break the rules at the time.  Which, if you ever read any competing fan board at the time was a huge black eye to our program.... which for years had a reputation for winning, and doing it by playing within the rules.   Unlike many other schools, we know of. 

IU self reported. It's true. And the way it should have been.  It was the right thing to do.Unlike one other school that conducted fake classes for 18 years. And then rather than admitted to it.... spent millions of dollars for lawyers to fight the NCAA.

If there was ever anything wrong. It was having a president of IU, insisting on hiring a minority to replace Mike Davis.  Nothing wrong with hiring a minority... however Sampson came to IU with baggage.... as the NCAA had not finished their investigation of him at Oklahoma.  And IU agreed to absorbing his punishment. 

Sampson should never have been hired.

You are correct about not disciplining his players.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

While self reporting is stupid, that didn't kill IU and neither did phone calls really. What killed IU was the way Sampson was running the program in terms of almost no oversight over the players. The rampant drug use and almost no focus or oversight on discipline or academics by Sampson is what killed the program. If Sampson had control of the program and the players, Tom Crean could have come in and kept most everybody (Crawford, Bassett, Holman, maybe even a few of the recruits) and the program probably wouldn't have skipped that much of a beat.  

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He wants a hardship waiver to be eligible immediately. His reason? His coach convinced him not to enter the draft, then got fired the day before the early entry deadline, not leaving him with enough time to think about if he still wanted to declare or not. It's Kentucky, so you can bet the NCAA will give it to him and let him play. A player's coach getting fired qualifies for "hardship" in 2020. 

I'm sure this will also make UK preseason #1 yet again next season. They had 6 players declare for the draft, and will probably still be #1 even if none of them come back. It's insane. We'll have most of our team back from a 20-win squad and probably won't even sniff the top 25. 

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

While self reporting is stupid, that didn't kill IU and neither did phone calls really. What killed IU was the way Sampson was running the program in terms of almost no oversight over the players. The rampant drug use and almost no focus or oversight on discipline or academics by Sampson is what killed the program. If Sampson had control of the program and the players, Tom Crean could have come in and kept most everybody (Crawford, Bassett, Holman, maybe even a few of the recruits) and the program probably wouldn't have skipped that much of a beat.  

It was both. IU's self-reporting, setting up multiple major NCAA (BS) infractions, and self-imposed scholarship/recruiting restrictions, the recruiting fallout, and the resulting fast-tracked coach search, absolutely hurt the basketball program in a major way.

But so did what Sampson did (didn't do) in academics, program culture, and a complete lack of oversight or any semblance of interest in the student's grades and rampant drug use, also killed the program as you point out. Multiple high level recruits, their parents, and their coaches were seriously turned off by the state of the program / obvious drug use and related issues, all of which came directly from Sampson's recruiting and lack of oversight. Then Crean had to throw the baby out with the bath water and start from scratch with baseball player walkons.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It was both. IU's self-reporting, setting up multiple major NCAA (BS) infractions, and self-imposed scholarship/recruiting restrictions, the recruiting fallout, and the resulting fast-tracked coach search, absolutely hurt the basketball program in a major way.

But so did what Sampson did (didn't do) in academics, program culture, and a complete lack of oversight or any semblance of interest in the student's grades and rampant drug use, also killed the program as you point out. Multiple high level recruits, their parents, and their coaches were seriously turned off by the state of the program / obvious drug use and related issues, all of which came directly from Sampson's recruiting and lack of oversight. Then Crean had to throw the baby out with the bath water and start from scratch with baseball player walkons.

I don't disagree, but my point is that even with everything in your first paragraph, which is definitely accurate, if Tom Crean had entered the program with all the kids coming back (assuming Sampson had done his job with character and academics), or at least most of them, IU would have had a one year post season probation (which I what I believe we were given) and Crean would have hit the ground running. 

Even with the recruiting restrictions, image adding the same classes (VJIII in 2008, Watford, Creek, Hulls, etc. in 2009, and then the 2010 class) to a team with veterans in Bassett, Crawford, Holman, etc. Things would have been completely different. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't disagree, but my point is that even with everything in your first paragraph, which is definitely accurate, if Tom Crean had entered the program with all the kids coming back (assuming Sampson had done his job with character and academics), or at least most of them, IU would have had a one year post season probation (which I what I believe we were given) and Crean would have hit the ground running. 

Even with the recruiting restrictions, image adding the same classes (VJIII in 2008, Watford, Creek, Hulls, etc. in 2009, and then the 2010 class) to a team with veterans in Bassett, Crawford, Holman, etc. Things would have been completely different. 

I don't really disagree either -- I just don't think you can separate the two here. We wouldn't have had the same type of recruiting fallout and self-imposed sanctions if it weren't for the way Sampson mismanaged the program -- the atmosphere / culture surrounding Sampson's tenure permeated everything including the U's self-reporting decisions and how to handle the NCAA allegations (backs to the wall, with Sampson at the helm), and if Sampson had been properly supervising / recruiting the right kinds of kids, we never would've been in the recruiting restrictions / self-reporting situation to begin with. Those really aren't separable. 

Archived