Transfer Portal--2020

rico

4 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

Nojel benefited from Carsen. When Edwards would drive right, Nojel would hang under the basket. Carsen would draw a double or triple team and pass off or take the shot down low. Nojel could get easy passes underneath or easy put backs. Without Carsen, no one was driving the ball in. That was Nojel's job, but he's not equipped for it. So his points were cut in half. I could see it coming. He didn't regress, he was just shown exactly what player he was. And that is NOT a point guard. 

Sounds like a coaching problem to me. A coach who can't use his players skill set.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He was tied for 2nd on the team in mins played, dont think that was it.. Maybe it comes down to Painter cant develop players and the family see's that.

It comes down to his mom thinking another school can showcase his talents better. Which is laughable. He was always going to be limited offensively. He’s getting bad advice honestly. 

22 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

Nojel benefited from Carsen. When Edwards would drive right, Nojel would hang under the basket. Carsen would draw a double or triple team and pass off or take the shot down low. Nojel could get easy passes underneath or easy put backs. Without Carsen, no one was driving the ball in. That was Nojel's job, but he's not equipped for it. So his points were cut in half. I could see it coming. He didn't regress, he was just shown exactly what player he was. And that is NOT a point guard. 

Yep. Most of us were saying this Carsen's last year on this board and impact he had not only on saving Painter time and time again....but impact of his play and helping those around him. Carsen bailed out so many deficiencies it was hard to keep up. 

6 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

I don't think Steph Curry, Jesus or Reggie Miller could fix that shot.

He needed to embrace that a) he wasn’t an NBA player, b) he needed to focus on doing the little things like rebound, play lock-down d, and get garbage points, and c) he was never going to be THE guy. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You talk as if he is gone for good.  You know something we don't know ?   IMHO.  Just entering the portal, does not mean a kid won't return.

I have not seen many players enter the portal and come back to their original team.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Get ready for the portal to double in size.

Said this over in the football section of this board. Will say again what a concern has been for 45 days. If you play or are a recruit in a state that seems to think shutting everything down is the most prudent.....you will see mass departures. Players, recruits, commits,etc....

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have not seen many players enter the portal and come back to their original team.

Yeah. I believe you are correct. As in my mind I was confusing the transfer portal, with kids who put their names into the NBA draft.  Only to test the waters. 

A great many of the schools in the California State University system are members of the CCAA (Div. II) athletic conference and shortly following the CSU announcement, the CCAA announced that it was suspending NCAA competition for the fall of 2020.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No doubt. I look at the ceiling of this years team as fairly low but the year after with an extra year of experience plus bringing in Furst could be a good year. 

Agreed. I look for a pretty up and down year next year but the following should be really interesting. I think Hunter and Williams are really good. That said I think Wheeler is the key for that team. When he is knocking down 3s it really makes the offense tick. A year older with Ivey and Morton plus adding Furst you will bounce back...but next year you are going to have some really ugly games I think. That said...last year wasn’t a picnic with the two...so who knows.

I wish the rules were different when Eastern came out of HS.  Eastern's mother would have talked him into hiring an agent and entering the draft.  And then we wouldn't be talking about him right now.

Fwiw, I feel Purdue is a lot better off without him.  Seems to me that ever since he got to campus he has been trying to leave.

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You know, in a lot of ways, Nojel Eastern =Justin Smith.

Idk, other than having no offensive game so needing to earn their minutes through defense and rebounding, entering the NBA draft every year with no chance they'll be drafted, and an overbearing parent posting too much on social media and/or message boards what do they have in common? 🤔

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Idk, other than having no offensive game so needing to earn their minutes through defense and rebounding, entering the NBA draft every year with no chance they'll be drafted, and an overbearing parent posting too much on social media and/or message boards what do they have in common? 🤔

Plus both being from around Chicago haha. 

Archived