Transfer Portal--2020

rico

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little late to the party, but a few thoughts after getting caught up.

1) The interview with Dakich was fantastic.  I really enjoyed the part where he spoke about having to face adversity in life, as well as the work that’s required to make it to that next level.  A lot of these kids are sold a bill of goods that’s not realistic.  Nothing wrong with being honest with people.

2) Purdue is probably better without Eastern, and Williams was eating a lot of Haarm’s minutes anyways. 

3) Going to Michigan makes no sense.  He might play even less than he did at Purdue.

4) How about we actually beat Purdue before we write them off?  Over the years, Painter has consistently won in the BIG without “top 75” players.  We have NO ROOM to talk.  I don’t root for Purdue and am an IU fan though and through, but man, you have to respect the consistency they’ve had under Keady and now Painter.  They run a good program and do it the right way.

5 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

1) The interview with Dakich was fantastic.  I really enjoyed the part where he spoke about having to face adversity in life, as well as the work that’s required to make it to that next level.  A lot of these kids are sold a bill of goods that’s not realistic.  Nothing wrong with being honest with people.

2) Purdue is probably better without Eastern, and Williams was eating a lot of Haarm’s minutes anyways. 

3) Going to Michigan makes no sense.  He might play even less than he did at Purdue.

4) How about we actually beat Purdue before we write them off?  Over the years, Painter has consistently won in the BIG without “top 75” players.  We have NO ROOM to talk.  I don’t root for Purdue and am an IU fan though and through, but man, you have to respect the consistency they’ve had under Keady and now Painter.  They run a good program and do it the right way.

Agree with most except #4. Painter hasn't won a tourney game in the last 5 of 8 years. That's not a consistency I ever want after our coach has been on the job for 7 years and to follow it up with that. I make this point every single time and I know someone will come along and say x, y and z....but the fact is this. Painter and Purdue didn't win a tourney game for 5 of the last 8 years. 

Yes...they have the upper hand right now but our series is always one in trends for whatever reason. I mean Mike Davis went 10-2 or 10-3 vs Keady. Makes zero sense....but I sense a run our end for the next few years coming.

13 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I have a lot of respect for what Painter has accomplished at Purdue but I also can’t help but also be dismayed because the type of physicality and basketball that Purdue and a few others (Wisconsin) bring to the B1G results in a brand of basketball across the league that I’m not a huge fan of nor does it seem to be popular with many of the best players in the nation. When you have that sort of physicality that is to be kept up with to survive I don’t think you get the sort of pure movement and flow the league had just a couple decades ago along with the star power that was in the league across the board.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:45 AM, hoosiertildeath said:

Will college basketball season open again ???????

Glad to hear from you HTD!  You ask a good question.  Everything seems to be up in the air.  IMHO we won't see much, if any, college football or basketball in 2020.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I have a lot of respect for what Painter has accomplished at Purdue but I also can’t help but also be dismayed because the type of physicality and basketball that Purdue and a few others (Wisconsin) bring to the B1G results in a brand of basketball across the league that I’m not a huge fan of nor does it seem to be popular with many of the best players in the nation. When you have that sort of physicality that is to be kept up with to survive I don’t think you get the sort of pure movement and flow the league had just a couple decades ago along with the star power that was in the league across the board.

Purdue and Wisconsin also get more calls at home than any teams in the league. In addition to being a league of physicality, the Big Ten has developed a reputation as a league of ridiculous home-cooking. The physical play is frustrating enough; it's 10 times worse when you're in Mackey or the Kohl Center, you get bludgeoned to death with no whistles, and you can't even hear your own teammates over the crowd noise. The best players not only want to win, they want to win because they were better than their opponent, not because of where the game was played. 

43 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Purdue and Wisconsin also get more calls at home than any teams in the league. In addition to being a league of physicality, the Big Ten has developed a reputation as a league of ridiculous home-cooking. The physical play is frustrating enough; it's 10 times worse when you're in Mackey or the Kohl Center, you get bludgeoned to death with no whistles, and you can't even hear your own teammates over the crowd noise. The best players not only want to win, they want to win because they were better than their opponent, not because of where the game was played. 

You think Purdue gets more calls at Mackey than IU gets in Assembly? Don’t think Purdue and Wisconsin are unique in that regard. Most teams in the league get a lot of calls at home. 

28 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I agree they get a lot of calls but we ad IU fans are a little hypocritical if you ask me.  Watching a lot of old IU games I can see now how many calls we got while RMK was our coach.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree with most except #4. Painter hasn't won a tourney game in the last 5 of 8 years. That's not a consistency I ever want after our coach has been on the job for 7 years and to follow it up with that. I make this point every single time and I know someone will come along and say x, y and z....but the fact is this. Painter and Purdue didn't win a tourney game for 5 of the last 8 years. 

Yes...they have the upper hand right now but our series is always one in trends for whatever reason. I mean Mike Davis went 10-2 or 10-3 vs Keady. Makes zero sense....but I sense a run our end for the next few years coming.

After Jay Wright’s first 8 years at Nova, he had an elite 8 run in year 4 and a final four run in year 8. The next 4 years? Only 1 tournament win including missing the tournament altogether and 2 first round exits. Seems like after his first 8 years, that consistency seemed to drop off a good amount. What if Nova had fired him after year 11 when he didn’t even make the tournament? In the years between his final four in 2008/2009 and the championship team in 2015/2016, they only won 3 tournament games.  Even really good coaches have down years. 

29 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You think Purdue gets more calls at Mackey than IU gets in Assembly? Don’t think Purdue and Wisconsin are unique in that regard. Most teams in the league get a lot of calls at home. 

The last 4-5 years? Yes. Assembly Hall doesn't intimidate officials (or visiting teams, for that matter) like it used to. 

49 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think the B1G assumes a reputation of physicality within the league,  and teams that emphasize that style of play gain an advantage.

Purdue and Wisconsin are two huge benefactors of this system.   Watching Purdue at IU this year, the man guarding the ball hand checked the entire length of the  court. That gains an advantage of disrupting the offensive flow if allowed. Kudos to the coaches that recognize this being allowed, and taking advantage of it. Kentucky under Tubby Smith thrived on this. 

44 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I think the B1G assumes a reputation of physicality within the league,  and teams that emphasize that style of play gain an advantage.

Purdue and Wisconsin are two huge benefactors of this system.   Watching Purdue at IU this year, the man guarding the ball hand checked the entire length of the  court. That gains an advantage of disrupting the offensive flow if allowed. Kudos to the coaches that recognize this being allowed, and taking advantage of it. Kentucky under Tubby Smith thrived on this. 

Yeah I don’t mean to single out any one or two teams because now the whole league has to play this way not to get pushed around. That said it seemed success of those particular programs begin to really take hold with a certain brand of ball and then it became increasingly worse as the seasons have gone on.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

After Jay Wright’s first 8 years at Nova, he had an elite 8 run in year 4 and a final four run in year 8. The next 4 years? Only 1 tournament win including missing the tournament altogether and 2 first round exits. Seems like after his first 8 years, that consistency seemed to drop off a good amount. What if Nova had fired him after year 11 when he didn’t even make the tournament? In the years between his final four in 2008/2009 and the championship team in 2015/2016, they only won 3 tournament games.  Even really good coaches have down years. 

Cool. 5 of 8 years no tourney wins for Painter or Purdue. I think you answered your own explanation. E8 in year 4 for Wright..... F4 in year 8. Did Painter have any of that equity? No. He didn't. Not to expound on it but Painter also had  5 years in tourney in first 7 where he only won one game before the stretch I consistently mention.  I applaud your efforts on an IU board to justify Painter. It's nice to see....but at a certain point it becomes a tad....I don't know. Foolish? I don't want to get in trouble but seriously....stop arguing the Painter success. He hasn't had any. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Wrights first Elite 8 run with Nova was year 5, Rosco

7FB502D2-111F-498C-9B14-B5A3D0496E6F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool. 5 of 8 years no tourney wins for Painter or Purdue. I think you answered your own explanation. E8 in year 4 for Wright..... F4 in year 8. Did Painter have any of that equity? No. He didn't. Not to expound on it but Painter also had  5 years in tourney in first 7 where he only won one game before the stretch I consistently mention.  I applaud your efforts on an IU board to justify Painter. It's nice to see....but at a certain point it becomes a tad....I don't know. Foolish? I don't want to get in trouble but seriously....stop arguing the Painter success. He hasn't had any. 

I’m thrilled we have Painter as a coach and I’m guessing there are plenty of fanbases who’d be thrilled to have him as well. 

To say he hasn’t had “any success” is false. You don’t last that long without any success. But no point in arguing further with you on this. You’re not going to change your mind and I’m not going to change mine. 

To say.Painter has not had any success is completely ridiculous.  He is not elite but he has been a very good coach who has won a lot of games.  I guess if the only criteria to be successful is to win championships then there are a lot of unsuccessful coaches.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To say.Painter has not had any success is completely ridiculous.  He is not elite but he has been a very good coach who has won a lot of games.  I guess if the only criteria to be successful is to win championships then there are a lot of unsuccessful coaches.

I guess I'll just add championships and Purdue aren't part of the equation. I was just saying consistent tourney wins might for some  be a qualifier for "a very good coach"......I don't know....Painter hasn't done that. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m thrilled we have Painter as a coach and I’m guessing there are plenty of fanbases who’d be thrilled to have him as well. 

To say he hasn’t had “any success” is false. You don’t last that long without any success. But no point in arguing further with you on this. You’re not going to change your mind and I’m not going to change mine. 

I'm glad your thrilled. Again...my numbers and history numbers say otherwise. Bruce Weber was a better coach in terms of data and numbers at Illinois. Somehow Painter has taken on this mystique of someone that has accomplished so much. Guess I just don't see it for someone 15+ years on the job. 

Archived