Transfer Portal--2020

rico

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

I can. Winning %’s and top end achievements are similar. Painter has been a head coach twice as long. CAM gets the nod.

Don ;t get me wrong, I would take Archie if I were an AD, but Painter has 5 Sweet 16;s to Archie's 1 and 4 Conference titles (3 in a Power 5) compared to Archie's 2 (none on Power 5).

IU fans are going to argue for Archie, but an unbiased observer likely picks Painter.

26 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

I can. Winning %’s and top end achievements are similar. Painter has been a head coach twice as long. CAM gets the nod for that reason alone.

Similar? Comparing winning percentages when one is in the B1G and one is A-10? That’s an apples to oranges comparison. Painter has been to the second weekend 5 times versus only once for Archie. I like Archie and think he has potential but I would guess most neutral observers would take Painter over Archie. Painter has track record in a major conference while Archie doesn’t yet. 

On 5/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, slojoe said:

Glad to hear from you HTD!  You ask a good question.  Everything seems to be up in the air.  IMHO we won't see much, if any, college football or basketball in 2020.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:30 PM, Mike said:

Nothing for a year and maybe no sports to speak of for a few years.

Y'all are way too pessimistic. 

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Similar? Comparing winning percentages when one is in the B1G and one is A-10? That’s an apples to oranges comparison. Painter has been to the second weekend 5 times versus only once for Archie. I like Archie and think he has potential but I would guess most neutral observers would take Painter over Archie. Painter has track record in a major conference while Archie doesn’t yet. 

It’s really not a fair comparison since one has had twice the opportunity as the other. Yet, the highest achievement is exactly the same.

49 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

It’s really not a fair comparison since one has had twice the opportunity as the other. Yet, the highest achievement is exactly the same.

Kevin Ollie has a championship.  Mark Few does not.  Who are you choosing?

again, i hate Purdouche more than anyone on here other than maybe HTD... and you have to admit that as of today Painter is the proven coach.  championship coach, no.  one of the all time greats?  no.  more proven that CAM... uh clearly.  time will tell.  if CAM can get our teams playing with Purdue's toughness and defense, we'll have more talent consistently and we'll all be happy with the results.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

again, i hate Purdouche more than anyone on here other than maybe HTD... and you have to admit that as of today Painter is the proven coach.  championship coach, no.  one of the all time greats?  no.  more proven that CAM... uh clearly.  time will tell.  if CAM can get our teams playing with Purdue's toughness and defense, we'll have more talent consistently and we'll all be happy with the results.  

We absolutely do not lack in defense and toughness. Like at all. 

You have to be able to make shots, period. 

I know Archie hangs his hat on defense but they have a ways to go. I'm not sold on the defense, at least against high level competition. I know it is getting better but too many times when it counted they could not keep the ball in front of them. The guards specifically could not stay in front of the ball and that includes Rob. It's going to be an issue if they can't figure it out. Also, if you're going to switch on the screen and force Race Thompson into guarding a PG in a one-on-one situation from the top of the key with the clock winding down, you're going to lose more than you win. The defense is better. It's not championship better. Maybe Lander has the foot speed and toughness to help, but it was a total team deficiency last season. 

9 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I know Archie hangs his hat on defense but they have a ways to go. I'm not sold on the defense, at least against high level competition. I know it is getting better but too many times when it counted they could not keep the ball in front of them. The guards specifically could not stay in front of the ball and that includes Rob. It's going to be an issue if they can't figure it out. Also, if you're going to switch on the screen and force Race Thompson into guarding a PG in a one-on-one situation from the top of the key with the clock winding down, you're going to lose more than you win. The defense is better. It's not championship better. Maybe Lander has the foot speed and toughness to help, but it was a total team deficiency last season. 

I have zero issues with switching late clock and I'm willing to bet it's more "productive" then you think.  

Go back to the last Wisconsin game. Late in the game, tight score in game they really needed to win at home. The last two or three possessions by the Badgers all they ran was a high pick to get Race guarding, I believe it was Trice, who went right by him and they scored. That can't happen. Even if you think that was the right play once he blows by Race the first time for a score it seems like you would want to try something different the very next possession. 

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Go back to the last Wisconsin game. Late in the game, tight score in game they really needed to win at home. The last two or three possessions by the Badgers all they ran was a high pick to get Race guarding, I believe it was Trice, who went right by him and they scored. That can't happen. Even if you think that was the right play once he blows by Race the first time for a score it seems like you would want to try something different the very next possession. 

Just for the sake of conversation. We were up 9 with 10 to go and scored one FG the rest of the game. If we had additional shooters and/or scorers.....we win by 20 and none of the defense talk in final minute matters. 

29 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

You really think they can make that adjustment, like poof just like that? How? 

How would you communicate it? Defending the pick and roll/pop... when ran well... is probably the most difficult part of playing basketball right now. 

The fault was the lack of execution, not with the Xs and Os of the concept. 

It was end of game last minute or two. There was likely a timeout involved at some point since they ended up trailing late. Point is, there was an opportunity to make a change to the defense. They did not.

Not being argumentative, but what execution would magically grant Race the ability to move fast enough to stop Trice going by him starting 20 feet or more from the basket in a one-on-one situation? That's asking a lot.

5 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

It was end of game last minute or two. There was likely a timeout involved at some point since they ended up trailing late. Point is, there was an opportunity to make a change to the defense. They did not.

Not being argumentative, but what execution would magically grant Race the ability to move fast enough to stop Trice going by him starting 20 feet or more from the basket in a one-on-one situation? That's asking a lot.

Well it’s that or Rob or whom ever trying to fight through a screen and trail the ball...or go under it and give up open 3s...there is absolutely times and certain players I would absolutely go under and dare to shoot the 3 but like others have said...high pick n roll is all we see in the nba...with the most elite athletes. It’s tough to defend...execution of the bigs moving their feet and getting in a good stance is key. Race isn’t great but he is way better than Brunk out there. You need elite level bigs if you want to defend it at the highest level. Bigs with lateral quickness, long arms, and intelligent...only so many floating around. I’d probably take Race on that switch over 90% of the other bigs in college basketball. If you don’t switch it then you just open up another can of worms.

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

We absolutely do not lack in defense and toughness. Like at all. 

You have to be able to make shots, period. 

while i agree that we have gotten tougher and better on D, i respectfully disagree that we don't lack at all.  it is Purdue's identity.  year in and year out.  i don't think we can quite say that yet.  

Archived