Transfer Portal--2020

rico

2 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

I see that Kentucky is trying to land DeAndre Williams from Evansville. Does anyone know if we are looking at this kid?

Without knowing a thing....my guess is McCarty called Cal to give him a look as his last official duty as a coach at any level the rest of his life.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BGleas said:

While self reporting is stupid, that didn't kill IU and neither did phone calls really. What killed IU was the way Sampson was running the program in terms of almost no oversight over the players. The rampant drug use and almost no focus or oversight on discipline or academics by Sampson is what killed the program. If Sampson had control of the program and the players, Tom Crean could have come in and kept most everybody (Crawford, Bassett, Holman, maybe even a few of the recruits) and the program probably wouldn't have skipped that much of a beat.  

Crean tried to keep Holman and Crawford...they both left. Holman told Crean he was transferring one day which resulted in the whole flower pot incident. With regard to keeping Sampson's recruits...Crean for the most part did as Matt Roth, Tom Pritchard and Derek Elston all committed during the 2007 season under Sampson. Unfortunately, he couldn't keep Devin Ebanks -- who was the big get for the 2008 class -- and had a very good career at WVU. 

3 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Purdue’s Nojel Eastern in the transfer portal today. Seems shocking to me. Not sure where else his 4.9 ppg average would be better suited than Purdue. 

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Seems kind of late to enter the portal.  Perhaps, just to test the waters ?  IDK

5 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Purdue’s Nojel Eastern in the transfer portal today. Seems shocking to me. Not sure where else his 4.9 ppg average would be better suited than Purdue. 

I think like Haarms he wants a bigger role. His mom has a higher opinion of him than most IMO and probably wants him to be able to showcase his ability. We’ll miss him on defense but not too much on offense. I could see him going to a MAC school IMO. 

Multiple transfers on a team that had some success. Something isn't right in Painter world. Our resident Boiler fan can spin all day long...but this isn't good. Headed into year 16 on the job to have this still going on? Must be that Purdue culture we've been hearing about. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Multiple transfers on a team that had some success. Something isn't right in Painter world. Our resident Boiler fan can spin all day long...but this isn't good. Headed into year 16 on the job to have this still going on? Must be that Purdue culture we've been hearing about. 

So being a coach for 16 years means you won’t have transfers? 

It’s not that big of a deal IMO. They each only had one more year to play. Recruiting is solid and we have good young guys. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Anxious to see Brandon Newman play.  Redshirt may have been a blessing in disguise for Painter.

And blessings going out to Brandon, who just lost his father to the virus.

I am excited to see him too. And yep that’s such a sad story. I know his mom had health issues too so hopefully she’s doing better. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

So being a coach for 16 years means you won’t have transfers? 

It’s not that big of a deal IMO. They each only had one more year to play. Recruiting is solid and we have good young guys. 

Not that big of a deal? Guys who have been in your program for 3 years....were part of teams who had the most success ever at Purdue and no big deal? Got it. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Man lost some defense for sure.  Between him at MH gotta hope we can actually get the ball inside. 

Yep we’ll miss his defense for sure. Having Carsen around helped mask some of Nojel’s offensive limitations. They were much more exposed last year unfortunately. 

Unfortunately I think this makes Purdue a better team.  His shooting is awful.

Regardless, the optics don't look good when 2 upperclassmen who were part of your elite 8 season hit the road for BYU and likely a MAC school.  I don't care how Purdue fans try and spin this one, but something is up in Boiler land.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Not that big of a deal? Guys who have been in your program for 3 years....were part of teams who had the most success ever at Purdue and no big deal? Got it. 

If they want more playing time/a larger role, best of luck to them. They both lost minutes last year on an average team. I wish they would’ve stuck it out and fought for those minutes but to each their own. I’d be surprised if Nojel ends up at a program on Purdue’s level or better though. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep we’ll miss his defense for sure. Having Carsen around helped mask some of Nojel’s offensive limitations. They were much more exposed last year unfortunately. 

You talk as if he is gone for good.  You know something we don't know ?   IMHO.  Just entering the portal, does not mean a kid won't return.

Just now, GrangerHoosier said:

Unfortunately I think this makes Purdue a better team.  His shooting is awful.

Regardless, the optics don't look good when 2 upperclassmen who were part of your elite 8 season hit the road for BYU and likely a MAC school.  I don't care how Purdue fans try and spin this one, but something is up in Boiler land.

Yep. Not that difficult to see. Total rebuild for Painter next year which means what?? Extension time?

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

If they want more playing time/a larger role, best of luck to them. They both lost minutes last year on an average team. I wish they would’ve stuck it out and fought for those minutes but to each their own. I’d be surprised if Nojel ends up at a program on Purdue’s level or better though. 

Me thinking Nojel and Mama want to head home. Depaul maybe. Something along those lines.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You talk as if he is gone for good.  You know something we don't know ?   IMHO.  Just entering the portal, does not mean a kid won't return.

He already tweeted “Thank you Purdue” which tells me unless something changes, he’s as good as gone. 

WOW !  Been wondering where all you people went. For days, this board on HSN has been DOA. Heck. I started a thread six hours ago.  Crickets. LOL.  All of a sudden, this thread has gone HOT.  I don't even care that it is a PU player that caused that.  

Archived