Transfer Portal--2020

rico

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I'll just add championships and Purdue aren't part of the equation. I was just saying consistent tourney wins might for some  be a qualifier for "a very good coach"......I don't know....Painter hasn't done that. 

He's not a "very good coach". He's a solid coach, an above avg one. He'd be like an 84 on Madden. 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I'll just add championships and Purdue aren't part of the equation. I was just saying consistent tourney wins might for some  be a qualifier for "a very good coach"......I don't know....Painter hasn't done that. 

So Tony Bennett is pretty much one second and last second shot from being an unsuccessful coach.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm glad your thrilled. Again...my numbers and history numbers say otherwise. Bruce Weber was a better coach in terms of data and numbers at Illinois. Somehow Painter has taken on this mystique of someone that has accomplished so much. Guess I just don't see it for someone 15+ years on the job. 

The only thing Webber had over Painter is going to a final four. Overall winning percentages Painter is 67 percent Webber is 64 percent.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean overall it's kind of...meh 

I am not saying he is a great coach.  I just think what I think successful means is different than what others think it means. Right now if I knew that we would go to three straight sweet 16's and an elite 8 in the next 3 years I wouldn't complain.  That was what Painter had done before this past season.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying he is a great coach.  I just think what I think successful means is different than what others think it means. Right now if I knew that we would go to three straight sweet 16's and an elite 8 in the next 3 years I wouldn't complain.  That was what Painter had done before this past season.

He sure wouldn't still be coaching at IU with that record...

Just my opinion, but Purdue has always been satisfied with mediocrity...

i hate Purdouche more than anyone other than maybe HTD.  that said, Painter does a really good job for being at Purdouche.  it is not an easy place to recruit.  they don't have a national resume.  i still know a TON of people in NC who don't even know what state it is in.  anyway, Purdouche can't have standards of national championships because it ain't happnin, but to have them compete so well in the B1G every year is impressive for being them.  he turns unheralded recruits into overachieving players because they play in a system that is based on toughness and defense.  hard to argue that.  i hate it! 

23 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I deleted them myself. Didn’t want it to turn to a back and forth thread derail situation so I backed out. 

He's a solid coach. His top end results wouldn't work at IU. If so, we wouldn't have let Crean walk. 

I for  one think we should hold off on saying how bad of a coach Painter is until... well maybe we win a game or 2 against Purdue.  Just my opinion but not a good look that we bash a coach that our coach has yet to defeat.  Maybe it's just me. I know all the excuses blah blah blah. When we start beating them on a regular basis like we should I will hold my tongue on Painter

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We will never have a coach that our fanbase will ever fully support. The nature of our fans.

I think there are some people who are only happy when they are miserable.  Some fans would complain if we were 31-0 but lost in the championship game on a last second half court shot.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I for  one think we should hold off on saying how bad of a coach Painter is until... well maybe we win a game or 2 against Purdue.  Just my opinion but not a good look that we bash a coach that our coach has yet to defeat.  Maybe it's just me. I know all the excuses blah blah blah. When we start beating them on a regular basis like we should I will hold my tongue on Painter

If Billy gets a C on his report card and Jimmy gets a B, just because Jimmy did better than Billy does not make him a top student.  

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That begs the question: What top end results would work at IU? Is it being close to Knight’s results?

I have no idea. However long he's been there without a final 4 isn't going to fly though. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

At this point and time, Archie is a less accomplished coach than Painter.  Can you argue differently?

I can. Winning %’s and top end achievements are similar. Painter has been a head coach twice as long. CAM gets the nod.

Archived