Transfer Portal--2020

rico

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Archie stated more than a month ago that he would have two more scholarships to fill in 2020, so we knew someone was leaving early.  Anyone other than Damezi would be a big surprise to me personally.  All you have to do is look at the minutes played.  If Damezi told coach back in January that he was leaving after the end of the semester, the absolute lack of playing time, even less than some walk-ons, makes sense.  I credit Damezi for not bailing at that point and doing the transfer right.  Really liked him and had high hopes, but I can't be mad at him if he thought a change of scenery might help.

Breaking all my rules about speculating who's leaving, but I can't think of one telegraphed more obviously than this one.  Hope he finds a good situation for himself.

Well when he did not get into the Nebraska game I knew something was up.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Some guys work out, others don’t. He seems like good guy, just couldn’t make shots when played. 

Agreed. Really liked the kid on paper - good size, effort is there, and supposed to be a shooter - but he just didn't perform when he was on the court. He was better this year than last year, when he looked completely lost, but still not good enough to warrant minutes. Best of luck to him if it's true.

1 minute ago, HoosierKix said:

Is anyone else just a little confused why we haven’t been named to be in contact with any transfers yet? The only one I’ve seen was the Stevenson kid and haven’t seen another one since or am I missing some names?

You can bet recruiting is happening, but with half the country locked down and no one traveling, there's a lot more stealth involved right now.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

You can bet recruiting is happening, but with half the country locked down and no one traveling, there's a lot more stealth involved right now.

That’s a great point! Definitely a lot of options to look at with so many kids transferring right now just seems like none of the bigger names we have been in contact with so far but who knows

8 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Is anyone else just a little confused why we haven’t been named to be in contact with any transfers yet? The only one I’ve seen was the Stevenson kid and haven’t seen another one since or am I missing some names?

You contradict your first sentence with your second one. 1>0

If the staff has contacted one, why do you think they haven't contacted others? Just because it's not on the message boards? I haven't seen lists of schools recruiting most of the transfers so it's very possible IU is doing more than you realize.

19 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

I will give you one name IU is looking hard at.  Trey McGowens. A shooting guard out of Pitt. 

Just so you know. One thing holding IU back from going harder after transfers, is the NCAA's indecision to lift the one year restriction on transfers.

Trey McGowens, Jeff Capel's first verbal commitment at Pitt, enters transfer portal | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I will give you one name IU is looking hard at.  Trey McGowens. A shooting guard out of Pitt. 

Just so you know. One thing holding IU back from going harder after transfers, is the NCAA's indecision to lift the one year restriction on transfers.

Trey McGowens, Jeff Capel's first verbal commitment at Pitt, enters transfer portal | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Thanks mile...appreciate the info, but his Dad says he wants to go somewhere to develop his point guard skills...

From the linked article...

“Trey committed to Pittsburgh to develop as a point guard and things just didn’t work out. His goal for his next college is to play point guard more on a full-time basis.”

If Lander reclassifies, I'd think we wouldn't be of much interest to him...

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and i know we are trying not to mention kids by name, but as someone said before, if the player who we all assume is in fact transferring is transferring why is he not in the portal yet?

He may already have a new home worked out.  Wouldn't be shocked if the staff assisted him.

Quick update. I'm trying to find out more...I knew Iowa wouldn't make the cut. Surprised at some of the locations because close to home is supposed to be a priority. If I were guess....Depaul, Creighton...or maybe Nebraska. 

The group of schools involved for Ohio State transfer DJ Carton include Alabama, Creighton, Minnesota, Illinois, USC, Seton Hall, Arkansas, Oregon, Nebraska, Auburn, Oklahoma, DePaul and Georgia Tech.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick update. I'm trying to find out more...I knew Iowa wouldn't make the cut. Surprised at some of the locations because close to home is supposed to be a priority. If I were guess....Depaul, Creighton...or maybe Nebraska. 

The group of schools involved for Ohio State transfer DJ Carton include Alabama, Creighton, Minnesota, Illinois, USC, Seton Hall, Arkansas, Oregon, Nebraska, Auburn, Oklahoma, DePaul and Georgia Tech.

Wow there goes the theory he's definitely looking to stay close to his support system at home.

Archived