Airports and other flying experiences. We can talk about boats too.

Drroogh

The last century. After getting out of the Army. I was still required to serve two weeks for two years.  First year, was sent to California. Flew out from Colorado on United. Connect was to an air line called Swift.   They had two desks. In the International portion of LAX Which I found out later.  Got off my flight. Took a cab and asked him to take me to the international terminal.  After driving around LAX, he returned me to where he picked me up.... admitting he did not know where the International terminal was. So I went back inside and asked one of the people where the International terminal was. She walked me out side. And pointed to a building. Perhaps two blocks away. Since my flight was soon scheduled to leave. I ran.

Got there. No plane. Two people at the table. Asked if I had missed my flight. Told not to worry. That it had not arrived yet. They always run late. Waited till the plane arrived. Small plane. Passengers got off. All with big smiles on their faces.  Boarded. And discovered why they had smiles on their faces.  Back in the day when young ladies wore hot pants.  Needless to say. One of the most memorable flights I have taken in my lifetime.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know why I keep coming back to Milwaukee, probably only been in the airport a half dozen times. But there was a short time back in the early 70's when there were commercial flights into Hayward WI where the family cabin is. Got to Milwaukee for my flight and realized the airline was having special ceremonies as it was the inaugural flights of the latest two airplanes in their fleet! Nice planes for the time similar to the Canadair regional jets now, however my flight leg ended in Marshfield I believe! There I was transferred as the only passenger onto a wood bodied twin radial engine plane?? The pilot what little I could hear was bragging about back in the day, the plane was THE plane of the elitist's similar to Lear Jet's! Have to admit it was probably the coolest plane I ever flew in even if I was hard of hearing for the Next day!

9 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Don't know why I keep coming back to Milwaukee, probably only been in the airport a half dozen times. But there was a short time back in the early 70's when there were commercial flights into Hayward WI where the family cabin is. Got to Milwaukee for my flight and realized the airline was having special ceremonies as it was the inaugural flights of the latest two airplanes in their fleet! Nice planes for the time similar to the Canadair regional jets now, however my flight leg ended in Marshfield I believe! There I was transferred as the only passenger onto a wood bodied twin radial engine plane?? The pilot what little I could hear was bragging about back in the day, the plane was THE plane of the elitist's similar to Lear Jet's! Have to admit it was probably the coolest plane I ever flew in even if I was hard of hearing for the Next day!

I vacationed in Hayward once. Would like to get vack there some day. Musky capital of the world and lumberjack championship. Just a little hard to get to. 

As an avid fisherman, being on boats is nothing to me.  Fished the FLA keys and the Great Lakes all my life.  But an incident occurred about 10 years ago that haunts me to this day.  

6 of us chartered a walleye trip on Erie.  Basically it was 5 friends(me included) and 1 friend of a friend, that 4 us didn't know at all.  We left Port Clinton looking for fish.  2 hours into the trip the "stranger" got sea sick.  He pretty much laid down for the next 4 hours.  In that time we had covered quite a bit of water...there was no land in sight.  We also had limited out.  After the captain checked on fuel and such we decided to head close to Canadian waters to try to hit the perch.  As we were steaming north the "stranger" came to.  I had never seen panic like that in my entire life.  Dude was trying to get to the wheel, pushing everyone around.  He wanted to get back so bad that nothing else mattered.  Our fishing day was cut much shorter than we wanted as we headed back to port.

So every time I go out now I wonder who is going to snap...myself included!

16 minutes ago, rico said:

As an avid fisherman, being on boats is nothing to me.  Fished the FLA keys and the Great Lakes all my life.  But an incident occurred about 10 years ago that haunts me to this day.  

6 of us chartered a walleye trip on Erie.  Basically it was 5 friends(me included) and 1 friend of a friend, that 4 us didn't know at all.  We left Port Clinton looking for fish.  2 hours into the trip the "stranger" got sea sick.  He pretty much laid down for the next 4 hours.  In that time we had covered quite a bit of water...there was no land in sight.  We also had limited out.  After the captain checked on fuel and such we decided to head close to Canadian waters to try to hit the perch.  As we were steaming north the "stranger" came to.  I had never seen panic like that in my entire life.  Dude was trying to get to the wheel, pushing everyone around.  He wanted to get back so bad that nothing else mattered.  Our fishing day was cut much shorter than we wanted as we headed back to port.

So every time I go out now I wonder who is going to snap...myself included!

Anyone that's ever dealt with a truly panicked person knows it's no fun...you practically have to physically subdue them or they can be a danger...

1 hour ago, rico said:

Let me tell you a tale. The time Rico went sailing on a 4 hour tour

Only ever flew once out of huntingburg airport in dubois county indiana when I was a about 8.  They had an event where local pilots were giving out rides.  Had a choice between riding in a helicopter or single engine airplane.  I chose the plane. A 4 seater I think. And I got to be the "co-pilot" and sit in the front and got to wear the headset so I could talk to the pilot. Another dad memory. He sat in the back seat. 

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Pretty surreal experience flying this week, ATL one of the world’s busiest airports only had one security line with about 100 people in line! All practicing social distancing!

It's gotta suck to fly right now...how was the flight itself? Middle row seating allowed?

Just now, IUFLA said:

It's gotta suck to fly right now...how was the flight itself? Middle row seating allowed?

From ATL to Dallas was decent, I think the only 3 across were families! Dallas to Ontario CA was packed! That’s what happens when very few planes are in the air!

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Pretty surreal experience flying this week, ATL one of the world’s busiest airports only had one security line with about 100 people in line! All practicing social distancing!

Been in and out of Atlanta, numerous times.  Busy airport in normal times.  Good to hear people are practicing social distancing.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.  As I believe it is more relevant under the circumstances.  Some people, I guess. Have to travel by plane.

I hate flying and hate the rigamarole of airports altogether. It's funny, as a kid I always thought flying was glamorous or something. I didn't even fly in my first plane until I went to medical training in the Navy.

Now that I'm an adult and have flied a ton, I can't stand it. In fact, I would rather drive a long distance if I can. I'll happily drive the 14 hours to IN instead of flying. If I fly out of JFK or LaGuardia it takes an hour to get there (and $45-50), then hour or two to get through security, then an hour waiting for boarding, then the sitting in stagnant air waiting for take off, then the few hours of flight, and then getting through the airport in Indy to rental car companies, and finally driving to my location.

I could practically just drive myself and be in control the entire time listening to highway music and it's only a couple of hours longer traveling by car.

If a trip is East Coast or under 10 hours, I'm driving. If it's West Coast or international, then I'll fly.

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

If I fly out of JFK or LaGuardia it takes an hour to get there (and $45-50), then hour or two to get through security, then an hour waiting for boarding, then the sitting in stagnant air waiting for take off,

LaGuardia is the worst. I've had to fly in there a couple of time to drive out to Ronkonkama on Long Island (the NY ARTCC is there...actually right on Long Island McArthur, but they won't let us fly into there...too expensive)...

The rental car company gave me a friggin Prius last time out there...I came off the Grand Central Pkwy to get gas before I returned it at a Sunoco station...you had about 50 ft to get up to speed coming out of there to get back on the parkway...

Thought I was gonna get killed...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

LaGuardia is the worst. I've had to fly in there a couple of time to drive out to Ronkonkama on Long Island (the NY ARTCC is there...actually right on Long Island McArthur, but they won't let us fly into there...too expensive)...

The rental car company gave me a friggin Prius last time out there...I came off the Grand Central Pkwy to get gas before I returned it at a Sunoco station...you had about 50 ft to get up to speed coming out of there to get back on the parkway...

Thought I was gonna get killed...

😂

It really is the worst. Don't know when you had to deal with it, but a couple of years ago, they had a ton of construction and it was so bad that people were getting out of their taxis and Ubers and just walking to the terminal with their luggage.

Passengers walking to airport because of construction

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

😂

It really is the worst. Don't know when you had to deal with it, but a couple of years ago, they had a ton of construction and it was so bad that people were getting out of their taxis and Ubers and just walking to the terminal with their luggage.

Passengers walking to airport because of construction

Last time was 2017 or so. I know if you're hungry after you get through security, you better like Aunt Annie's Pretzel Dogs...

My other 2 gripes about NY are ketchup on White Castles and coffee "regular." 

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The lake or the river?  Vacationed and fished for stripers on both. 

The lake, just east of Russellville. He tells some whopper striper stories about fish he’s pulled out of there! They have a great time down there but having a place to get away from the Indy rat race, wouldn’t be hard to enjoy. 

On 5/23/2020 at 7:26 AM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The lake, just east of Russellville. He tells some whopper striper stories about fish he’s pulled out of there! They have a great time down there but having a place to get away from the Indy rat race, wouldn’t be hard to enjoy. 

We fished out of Albany, Kentucky when we went. Caught some big stripers, but the coolest fish I caught down there was a 30lb white drum. 

But back here in Indiana, if you fish the white river, you can catch wipers, which is very similar to stripers. 

Thing is stripers are a saltwater fish and cant breed in freshwater, so those Kentucky lakes have to be stocked annually with stripers.  The only Indiana lakes that can keep a striper population are Patoka and Monroe but it's hard to manage because the are too shallow.  Did catch a muskie out of Patoka once. 

@rico

been walleye fishing before and would love to try ice fishing but I'm too far south. Lake Patoka has tried stocking, muskie, pike, trout. and Walleye, but, it's too shallow.

Have caught some Walleye, and smallmouth in the canals, and rivers, down here but have to know what you are doing to get them. 

Archived