Jump to content

Any teachers or educators here?


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Weŕe on day 1 of eLearning, will be doing so for at minimum the next month or so. I would be willing to bet we don´t return at all this year. How are you all handling it? As a teacher or as a parent?

Not a teacher but found out today I will be working from home for the time being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

Weŕe on day 1 of eLearning, will be doing so for at minimum the next month or so. I would be willing to bet we don´t return at all this year. How are you all handling it? As a teacher or as a parent?

We start virtual classes (3rd grade) next Monday with our child. We had a practice run with it last week. The school sent iPads home but there was an issue with the software. So far, that’s all I have.

I am curious though about how this changes the required 3rd grade testing that was scheduled for the week after spring break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our school corporation will be deciding next week. We are on spring break until the 30th. Rumor is students will be held two extra weeks but staff will return. My quess is that will change. I'm a retired teacher/counselor but work as an instructional assistant.  All assistants are on the clock so alot of people will be without pay.  For many of them , this is their only income. I feel terrible for them. It won't be easy for me either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, iamaparker1 said:

Our school corporation will be deciding next week. We are on spring break until the 30th. Rumor is students will be held two extra weeks but staff will return. My quess is that will change. I'm a retired teacher/counselor but work as an instructional assistant.  All assistants are on the clock so alot of people will be without pay.  For many of them , this is their only income. I feel terrible for them. It won't be easy for me either.

Our school Corp is paying hourly employees their average weekly rate for the next 4 weeks. Bless you for being an IA! Wouldn’t survive without mine (I’m a sped teacher)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sent home a packet of review material to cover this week since it’s the end of the quarter. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re done for the year. eLearning will get trickier if we are out for the remainder of the year and I have to introduce new material. Thankfully there is not that much of that left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

i am a former teacher but my wife is an hourly employee at a school and will be without pay until they go back to school. 

As a former teacher myself, I think it is BS they are not offering your wife some sort of compensation. Many hourly employees made teachers lives much easier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

As a former teacher myself, I think it is BS they are not offering your wife some sort of compensation. Many hourly employees made teachers lives much easier.

Just a thought. What about filing for unemployment compensation ? Or are teachers exempt ?  I don't know. My wife taught for 40 years. Thank goodness never faced this problem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My kids started a 2 week spring break yesterday.  The school corp has officially announced the week of 3/30 will be e-learning.  I would expect that to be extended, possibly for the remainder of the year. 

With both me and my wife being told by our employers to work from home, it will be a very interesting time.  We may grow closer, or we may kill each other.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My kids started a 2 week spring break yesterday.  The school corp has officially announced the week of 3/30 will be e-learning.  I would expect that to be extended, possibly for the remainder of the year. 

With both me and my wife being told by our employers to work from home, it will be a very interesting time.  We may grow closer, or we may kill each other.

 

Man you’re not kidding! I’d be shocked if Indiana went back to school this school year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Just a thought. What about filing for unemployment compensation ? Or are teachers exempt ?  I don't know. My wife taught for 40 years. Thank goodness never faced this problem

She is a teacher but not actively teaching,  she stopped working once Ayden was born to stay home and give him the care he needed.  she moved to a position in the cafeteria once Ayden started school because she could be on his schedule and if he misses school no students are missing out on their education because she is not at school. We did not feel that was fair to the kids,  same reason I moved on from teaching. 

Her school outsourced their jobs to a big company. We are checking on unemployment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Just a thought. What about filing for unemployment compensation ? Or are teachers exempt ?  I don't know. My wife taught for 40 years. Thank goodness never faced this problem

If a teacher has a contract or a IA has an letter stating reasonable intent to employ, they can NOT file for unemployment

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

She is a teacher but not actively teaching,  she stopped working once Ayden was born to stay home and give him the care he needed.  she moved to a position in the cafeteria once Ayden started school because she could be on his schedule and if he misses school no students are missing out on their education because she is not at school. We did not feel that was fair to the kids,  same reason I moved on from teaching. 

Her school outsourced their jobs to a big company. We are checking on unemployment.  

You could be getting a check in the mail soon....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...