Any teachers or educators here?

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I was kind of shocked to learn this morning that FWCS(Ft. Wayne Community Schools) are not set up for eLearning.  Is this typical for urban schools?

Yes.  Low income areas experience more than your normal interruption of no internet or losing your service due to parents not being able to keep up with the bills.  Kokomo elected not to mess with even trying years ago.  During the school year it would not be uncommon for parents to lose their cell coverage and then turn it back on a week or 2 later but by then they had to receive a new number.  Making it difficult during emergency and non emergency to contact them.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

South Dearborn in Aurora, IN closed their schools for the rest of the school year. Will go to a modified E learning schedule. I expect most to follow on their own but also expect Governor to close them sooner rather than later. 

I think it’ll be statewide like you said, probably after first full week of April 😭

I'm a high school chemistry and physics teacher in Illinois, so here are my thoughts on things.  Feel free to ask any questions if you'd like.

• There's not a chance that we'll be back on the 31st.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if we cancel the rest of the year and do online learning.
  • For my E-learning lessons, they will be a mix of things.
    • Record some lessons either through a camera, or a screen record on my computer.  I'll then have the kids write out the notes I give them for a grade.  For turning things in, I'll either have them share them with me or take a picture and send them to me.
    • I'll have some assignments posted on Google Classroom for them to complete.  They can fill in worksheets on their computer.
    • Try to find as many different online labs as I can.  No labs for chemistry or physics is going to be a real pain.
    • Still not sure how I am going to set assessments up.  I have considered scheduling 2 separate times for them and allowing them an hour to get it completed and turned in on Classroom.  Still don't know on that one.
  • We didn't have E-learning available because the state kept dragging their feet on it.  They would say to do it, and then not to do it.  It was all over the place.  A lot of schools decided it wasn't worth the effort to try planning for them.  No idea if that was different in Indiana than in Illinois.
  • There are going to be a lot of kids that do absolutely nothing.  Hopefully states and administrators will figure something out to hold kids accountable that need to be held accountable.  I think the excuse "I don't have internet" is going to be insanely abused.  For most kids, there are ways to get internet.  We sent out a survey the last day of school to see what kids didn't have access to internet at home so we know who can't get it.  Hopefully the lazy kids who do nothing will get punished by failing, but I worry that it is going to be a large number and people will be afraid to hold that many people accountable.

I'm in my first year of teaching at one school and on the school board at another. It's been amazing to me how much more prepared for this some schools are than others. At the school where I teach, we had an emergency staff meeting Friday and were told we had between noon and 2 to scrap everything we were doing and prepare a week's worth of material for our kids despite the fact that we've never done an e-learning day before. Meanwhile, where I'm a board member, our teachers have done digital days a lot of times and were fully prepared. We didn't even officially cancel school until after the kids were gone on Friday, but everyone already had their "just in case" materials to bring home. 

Archived