IndyStar - IU to Hire Scott Dolson as next AD

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When things like this happen I really hate how some of our fans just automatically jump to the conclusion that it is a bad higher before giving a person a chance.  When you start out with that attitude you will never change it and come to hope for failure so you can be proven right.

This hire is pure and simple not based on credentials or the best man for the job.  If it were, the hire would not be Dolson.  I’m not taking a personal shot at the man.  I’m sure he loves IU and will try hard.  I am sure he’s a good family man and a good person.  But, I’m talking about the credentials of the candidate.  This is a big tell of what the admin thinks of sports.   You’re kidding yourself or living in an alternate reality if you think otherwise.  

Reynolds was a former player as opposed to a manager.   Reynolds has a PhD and a JD, Dolson has a bachelors.  Reynolds has big time experience at other schools and will have been exposed to other ideas.   At the end of the day, Reynolds was at Bradley, a school with a limited national profile in terms of sports.  It’s not at IU’s level.  Getting Reynolds out of there should have been do-able.  Pat Kraft also has better credentials across the board.  He would have been aggressive.  

For example, for those of you who want Archie fired, it doesn’t do any good.  This is the type of hire you will see.  It’s not like, oh all of a sudden, let’s break the bank and get a stud coach.  This is the level of hire you will get.  We 100% need Archie to come through as he goes into year four.   That’s easily our best solution.  Furthermore, IU will not change overnight.  This would be like turning around an aircraft carrier in tight waters.  It would take a long time for the admin to “get it.”  

When Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky get their next coach, watch and take notes how they do it.  They know what butters their bread and they will go for it. 

I know some coaches were involved.  It’s kind of backwards.  They may have hired their buddy, a guy who isn’t threatening and won’t push them.  Who wouldn’t want that?   And it fits for the keystone cops in the administration and Board. 

Having said all that, I will give Dolson a chance.  But, he’s not nearly as qualified as other excellent candidates, and that makes him a dysfunctional and alarming hire.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This hire is pure and simple not based on credentials or the best man for the job.  If it were, the hire would not be Dolson.  I’m not taking a personal shot at the man.  I’m sure he loves IU and will try hard.  I am sure he’s a good family man and a good person.  But, I’m talking about the credentials of the candidate.  This is a big tell of what the admin thinks of sports.   You’re kidding yourself or living in an alternate reality if you think otherwise.  

Reynolds was a former player as opposed to a manager.   Reynolds has a PhD and a JD, Dolson has a bachelors.  Reynolds has big time experience at other schools and will have been exposed to other ideas.   At the end of the day, Reynolds was at Bradley, a school with a limited national profile in terms of sports.  It’s not at IU’s level.  Getting Reynolds out of there should have been do-able.  Pat Kraft also has better credentials across the board.  He would have been aggressive.  

For example, for those of you who want Archie fired, it doesn’t do any good.  This is the type of hire you will see.  It’s not like, oh all of a sudden, let’s break the bank and get a stud coach.  This is the level of hire you will get.  We 100% need Archie to come through as he goes into year four.   That’s easily our best solution.  Furthermore, IU will not change overnight.  This would be like turning around an aircraft carrier in tight waters.  It would take a long time for the admin to “get it.”  

When Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky get their next coach, watch and take notes how they do it.  They know what butters their bread and they will go for it. 

I know some coaches were involved.  It’s kind of backwards.  They may have hired their buddy, a guy who isn’t threatening and won’t push them.  Who wouldn’t want that?   And it fits for the keystone cops in the administration and Board. 

Having said all that, I will give Dolson a chance.  But, he’s not nearly as qualified as other excellent candidates, and that makes him a dysfunctional and alarming hire.  

Just wait until they announce Robel as President.  It's all over folks and that was the intent all along. 

Scott is a nice guy and great as a fundraiser.  At the end of the day he is a politician, and I would have preferred an administrator.  Kraft or Reynolds would have been a better choice.   100% hope I am proven wrong.

If it doesn't work out it will just be another reason why McRobbie was a terrible president. 

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Just wait until they announce Robel as President.  It's all over folks and that was the intent all along. 

So maybe it is time for some of you to find something else to do instead of trashing the board with your hatred toward the administration.

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

He has every right to post these opinions, Scott. Come on.

It just get tiring seeing the same thing over an dover again.  if people are that tired of how things are ran why bother even rooting for the team.  Life it to short to do things that make you this miserable.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It just get tiring seeing the same thing over an dover again.  if people are that tired of how things are ran why bother even rooting for the team.  Life it to short to do things that make you this miserable.

I get it. In this case, I am not all tingly about those hire either.

But that is what the boards are for.

Plus it gives @dbmhoosier a distraction from his Crean hatred.  ;)

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I get it. In this case, I am not all tingly about those hire either.

But that is what the boards are for.

Plus it gives @dbmhoosier a distraction from his Crean hatred.  ;)

I was not in favor either but give a guy a chance before condemning him.  Like I said when people start out with that attitude it will not change no matter how successful they are.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I like you as a poster, Scott.  I don’t always agree with you, but I respect your right to state your opinions.  Sometimes when I cringe at your thoughts, I always remember you represent a certain segment of the fan base who believes what you do, and I think that voice should be heard.  For those who don’t like your views, I say you should be heard.  I don’t believe I’ve ever tried to quash your opinions or mock them, etc.  

It sounded like you are referring to me.  I would just say this, I follow this stuff somewhat closely.  But, in terms of my credentials, I have served on the Board where I work, I’ve been involved in high level hirings and acquisitions, I’ve been involved in matters where Board activities were at issue, and I’ve assisted folks at major corporations in making presentations to Boards of Directors.  I’m for sure not saying I’m the biggest expert here on Boards, but at the same time, I’m very familiar with the processes.  When I give my opinions, it’s based on years of experience with the dynamics of these procedures.  There may be some people who appreciate my points of view even if they don’t agree.  

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So maybe it is time for some of you to find something else to do instead of trashing the board with your hatred toward the administration.

Didn’t realize the S in HSN was for Scott   Hmmm.  Learn something new everyday.  Damn shame if everyone doesn’t have the Scott opinion.  

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

IU had to hire in-house because of the virus, lmao

What a horrible, horrible look in terms of answers to those questions. I'm going to straddle the line between IUScott and guys like DBM. I agree with Scott that none of us knows how Dolson will actually do at this job. I've never met the guy, I've never even met anyone in the IU administration. I have no clue how these people are at their jobs day-to-day, or what it takes to be an effective AD at this level or really any level. So, might as well sit back and see what the guy can do and give him a real chance. 

WIth that said, I also agree with DBM and some others. This is about as uninspiring as a hire can get, especially after having read the comments from Bill Stephan. This was an opportunity to shake things up, take the department to a new level and bring in new, creative ideas, but it just comes off as boring, lazy and the path meant to not rock the boat.

The quotes in those tweets really are not inspiring and come off as really, incredibly short sighted, which is not what you want people in leadership roles to be. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What a horrible, horrible look in terms of answers to those questions. I'm going to straddle the line between IUScott and guys like DBM. I agree with Scott that none of us knows how Dolson will actually do at this job. I've never met the guy, I've never even met anyone in the IU administration. I have no clue how these people are at their jobs day-to-day, or what it takes to be an effective AD at this level or really any level. So, might as well sit back and see what the guy can do and give him a real chance. 

WIth that said, I also agree with DBM and some others. This is about as uninspiring as a hire can get, especially after having read the comments from Bill Stephan. This was an opportunity to shake things up, take the department to a new level and bring in new, creative ideas, but it just comes off as boring, lazy and the path meant to not rock the boat.

The quotes in those tweets really are not inspiring and come off as really, incredibly short sighted, which is not what you want people in leadership roles to be. 

i.e.     this sounds like a circus!

If men's basketball ever gets back to being successful again, Dolson's name will rarely be mentioned. Fred Glass took as much heat as he did because the men's basketball program was an abject failure for much of his tenure. His legacy will mostly be remembered as unnecessarily extending Crean in 2012, which played a part in his decision to not fire him in 2015, then declining to host an NIT game and using spring break as an excuse. 

If men's basketball wins, Dolson wins. It's that simple. 

48 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I may be dating myself, but she was a fairly young administrator (dean?) at the law school in my time.  She may have also taught legal writing.  She was quite young then and has really raised her profile since then.  I’ve communicated with her for years over law school matters.  To be honest, I have thought favorably of her but am not really aware of the negatives you bring up.  I just don’t know.   Also, I recognize that it’s one thing to think favorably of her in law school matters and an entirely different matter viewing her as a potential President of a major institution like IU. 

Obviously, I was dead wrong on the AD job (you nailed it all along so thanks for not rubbing it in, lol) but I thought, if anything, an academic institution of all things would overweigh credentials, not under-weigh them.  Your skepticism was proven right and my “let’s do the obvious” was proven wrong.  

Just to clarify, hiring Dolson doesn't mean we can't be good in basketball or get to the level we all want it to be.

It simply means the administration is way more concerned about having an AD who is an ambassador for the program, can increase ticket sales, and is good at fundraising.  Basically all they are primarily concerned with is whether or not the athletic department is run in the black.  Winning, mainly in the biggest two sports, is secondary, or maybe even tertiary.

It's not the kind of hire that makes me pause and say, "Finally, now we're serious about athletics again!"

Archived