IndyStar - IU to Hire Scott Dolson as next AD

15 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

While I don't like this hire very much, us having this thread to voice our opinions and concerns could turn out to be a good thing. If IU athletics ever checks out fan boards to gauge public opinion, Scott Dolson would know by now a lot of fans are concerned with his promotion. I wish he tackle his day to day tasks with a chip on his shoulder. I wish he'd be eager to prove a lot of doubters wrong. 

I can assure you that Scott does not conduct his business with an eye on detractors.  Rather, he strives to convert his drive and conviction into results for Indiana University and his supporters.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

I can assure you that Scott does not conduct his business with an eye on detractors.  Rather, he strives to convert his drive and conviction into results for Indiana University and his supporters.

As long as he understands that his success as an AD will depend entirely on getting the men's basketball program back to elite status he'll probably do fine.  But he must understand that or he's likely dead in the water already. 

22 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

IU had to hire in-house because of the virus, lmao

For the chair of the committee to make that statement is a disservice to Dolson. Now we don't have the full conversation, so maybe he was just mentioning one of several factors. But it certainly isn't "we hired  the best candidate available"

There's a famous meme that's derived from a Brady Bunch episode, as follows:

When a talent agent signs Greg to become a rock star named "Johnny Bravo," he lets his new fame get to his head, until he discovers that he was only signed because he "fit the suit."

Hopefully Dolson was the best candidate and does a great job for IU and wasn't hired because he best "fit the suit"

On 3/17/2020 at 7:57 PM, Beowulf50 said:

IU = constant disappointment??? WTH am I missing here?? One guy has us being a swimming school and another has us jumping off trapeze!!

play basketball at a high level!! Go to the tournament every year!! 

You are like an angry HTD...

After the initial shock of Reynolds not being the pick....and talking and thinking around the watercooler -- Scott Dolson is an excellent hire.  He is his own person who has been doing fantastic in his role.  He is only going to grow and move forward current projects while infusing new ideas.

I have also learned that he has respect from donors, big time donors, and current and former players; especially basketball.  

Under his leadership we will see the past, current and future incubate again.

I wonder how he is going to market the programs and create gameday experiences that gets fans in the seats, especially football.  Basketball, would love to see them take it into the new age of tech, etc.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

After the initial shock of Reynolds not being the pick....and talking and thinking around the watercooler -- Scott Dolson is an excellent hire.  He is his own person who has been doing fantastic in his role.  He is only going to grow and move forward current projects while infusing new ideas.

I have also learned that he has respect from donors, big time donors, and current and former players; especially basketball.  

Under his leadership we will see the past, current and future incubate again.

I wonder how he is going to market the programs and create gameday experiences that gets fans in the seats, especially football.  Basketball, would love to see them take it into the new age of tech, etc.

I agree.  After thinking about the position of AD, is there any other profession where the boss makes less than their subordinates ?

12 hours ago, BDB said:

I agree.  After thinking about the position of AD, is there any other profession where the boss makes less than their subordinates ?

Surprisingly not that uncommon in various areas. A lot of the best sales people, attorneys, physicians, etc make more than their "managers". The ones who can drive revenue will get compensated more than the administrators.

Just like Archie have to give him time.  While neither were my preferred hire, they are here now and we need to give them a chance to succeed.  He certainly is qualified and his love for IU definitely shows.  Have to at least be open to seeing what he can do.  Might be exactly what IU basketball needs, we will see.

1 hour ago, eddy4iu said:

Thanks eddy for that link. After reading that.... It's obvious to me, that Mr. Dolson has not been sitting on his hands at IU. But rather, has been thinking and coming up with many ideas and  plans to improve the athletic program at IU.  The more we learn. It looks like IU made a good choice.

I’ve read this thread.

i know nothing more than what’s been made known to me here.

Sounds pretty uninspiring to say the least based on resume, but that because he lives IU and we could do worse we should have a positive attitude and give it a try.

Is that the gist? Does that bother anyone from 10,000ft? 😳

Please tell me I’m missing something more? 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks eddy for that link. After reading that.... It's obvious to me, that Mr. Dolson has not been sitting on his hands at IU. But rather, has been thinking and coming up with many ideas and  plans to improve the athletic program at IU.  The more we learn. It looks like IU made a good choice.

I’ll read this article. I’ve just read the thread. Hoping for some more positive. 👍🏻

I feel better after reading a couple of the articles. I at least liked how he answered most of the questions. I have much more peace about this hire since reading the thread. Might not be a splash hire, but I don’t think it sounds like a complete bum hire either. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

After reading this, the Kraft and Reynolds interviews were just for show. Wouldn’t feel great about it if I were them. It was a done deal from the beginning. Good or bad, depending on one’s perspective, it’s all about continuing Fred’s legacy. 

9 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

After reading this, the Kraft and Reynolds interviews were just for show. Wouldn’t feel great about it if I were them. It was a done deal from the beginning. Good or bad, depending on one’s perspective, it’s all about continuing Fred’s legacy. 

" From that point moving forward, the thing that really has impressed me about Archie is he has a plan, he has a master plan for the program, really everything from a recruiting standpoint, from a player development standpoint, from a winning strategy.

I think a key element not just for men’s basketball but really for all of our sports is you have to have a master plan that you’re working towards, that you evaluate how things are going towards that plan.

To me I’ve been impressed with Archie with that because he doesn’t get too high, he doesn’t get too low. He really sticks to his plan. I think if you want to really be a consistent program, have consistent success, you need to have a consistent vision and work that plan. I’m really, really confident in that. That’s the thing that impressed me about Archie."

This is what a lot of us have been saying for 2 years, while some others talked about a "quick fix" artist like Pearl. It takes time...

And I think the reward at the end will make us all happy...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

" From that point moving forward, the thing that really has impressed me about Archie is he has a plan, he has a master plan for the program, really everything from a recruiting standpoint, from a player development standpoint, from a winning strategy.

I think a key element not just for men’s basketball but really for all of our sports is you have to have a master plan that you’re working towards, that you evaluate how things are going towards that plan.

To me I’ve been impressed with Archie with that because he doesn’t get too high, he doesn’t get too low. He really sticks to his plan. I think if you want to really be a consistent program, have consistent success, you need to have a consistent vision and work that plan. I’m really, really confident in that. That’s the thing that impressed me about Archie."

This is what a lot of us have been saying for 2 years, while some others talked about a "quick fix" artist like Pearl. It takes time...

Yes, was pleased to read this. Most of us could see a deliberate strategy in recruiting, etc. Archie seems to be building the foundation with a vision of the final product. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Pearl was never  quick fix though. His year 3 at Auburn was worse than Archie's year 3. 

Archived