IndyStar - IU to Hire Scott Dolson as next AD

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What a horrible, horrible look in terms of answers to those questions. I'm going to straddle the line between IUScott and guys like DBM. I agree with Scott that none of us knows how Dolson will actually do at this job. I've never met the guy, I've never even met anyone in the IU administration. I have no clue how these people are at their jobs day-to-day, or what it takes to be an effective AD at this level or really any level. So, might as well sit back and see what the guy can do and give him a real chance. 

WIth that said, I also agree with DBM and some others. This is about as uninspiring as a hire can get, especially after having read the comments from Bill Stephan. This was an opportunity to shake things up, take the department to a new level and bring in new, creative ideas, but it just comes off as boring, lazy and the path meant to not rock the boat.

The quotes in those tweets really are not inspiring and come off as really, incredibly short sighted, which is not what you want people in leadership roles to be. 

Agreed. And using the virus as a reason to hire someone is just ridiculous.

I understand pushing the hire off due to the virus... Or here's what you do. You tell Glass to stay on board until everything has calmed down, or you make Dolson the "Interim" AD. You then get an opportunity to watch Dolson at work, and you still have the opportunity to hire someone else. And if you're happy with his work, you take away the Interim tag.

Just a lazy, "let's keep the status quo" approach. I wish the best for Dolson.

I will say this.  None of us control the situation so at most we can make our observations.  But I’m confident that every single poster here hopes Dolson outperforms and actually kills it.  This is a person who loves IU and has devoted his life since high school to IU.  We are all on the same team.  

16 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Just to clarify, hiring Dolson doesn't mean we can't be good in basketball or get to the level we all want it to be.

It simply means the administration is way more concerned about having an AD who is an ambassador for the program, can increase ticket sales, and is good at fundraising.  Basically all they are primarily concerned with is whether or not the athletic department is run in the black.  Winning, mainly in the biggest two sports, is secondary, or maybe even tertiary.

It's not the kind of hire that makes me pause and say, "Finally, now we're serious about athletics again!"

Which is crazy, because the best way to increase ticket sales and fundraising is to win big, especially in basketball for a place like IU. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Which is crazy, because the best way to increase ticket sales and fundraising is to win big, especially in basketball for a place like IU. 

I am so sick to my stomach now! I am so disappointed in IU’s will to become a basketball school again!! 

i really have no idea how to feel about this.  once again, i do agree with Scott (feels strange) that i couldn't name 5 ADs across the country.  once again, i don't agree with Scott that it's not okay to express your opinion when it's not the same as his though.  THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD.  IT IS OKAY TO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS.   

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly, which will also drive student applications to IU through the roof.  The university would stand to benefit greatly.

Could you imagine the amount and quality of applications to IU if we won a solid bowl game and made a National Title run in the same year?  You'd not only have more donations to the university and people clamoring for tickets, but kids from all over the country would be applying to go to IU at a rate not seen in a while.

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I may be dating myself, but she was a fairly young administrator (dean?) at the law school in my time.  She may have also taught legal writing.  She was quite young then and has really raised her profile since then.  I’ve communicated with her for years over law school matters.  To be honest, I have thought favorably of her but am not really aware of the negatives you bring up.  I just don’t know.   Also, I recognize that it’s one thing to think favorably of her in law school matters and an entirely different matter viewing her as a potential President of a major institution like IU. 

Obviously, I was dead wrong on the AD job (you nailed it all along so thanks for not rubbing it in, lol) but I thought, if anything, an academic institution of all things would overweigh credentials, not under-weigh them.  Your skepticism was proven right and my “let’s do the obvious” was proven wrong.  

I have a degree from Maurer.  I sat in her office several times and had conversations with her.  I'm not saying she isn't qualified or intelligent.   I'm just saying if you want someone who won't completely deprioritize athletics she's the last person you'd hire.  And if you think IU will do a national search and hire the best person available you're nuts. They will hire from within again and keep the status quo as always.  Guaranteed. 

Today just shows me that sports fans never can be happy.  The Colts the last 2 days have went out and spent money and got an all pro DT but there are people still complaining. The last two years all we heard form the Colts fans was that Ballard had like 85 million under the cap to spend but complained when he did not spend big.  Well Ballard is spending big and yet it is still not good enough so they complain.

Just like with IU's hired today for the AD we all complain even though most of us have no idea what went into the process to make this hired.  Did we try to get Reynolds and he decided to stay at Bradley or did they just think Dolson was the best hire for IU. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

IU had to hire in-house because of the virus, lmao

Wow sadly I posted yesterday in the other AD thread that “continuity” in this environment would favor the internal candidate. So, hire the guy with the weakest resume because he’s already on campus? Some cover for the decision. That’s how committees make decisions. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Today just shows me that sports fans never can be happy.  The Colts the last 2 days have went out and spent money and got an all pro DT but there are people still complaining. The last two years all we heard form the Colts fans was that Ballard had like 85 million under the cap to spend but complained when he did not spend big.  Well Ballard is spending big and yet it is still not good enough so they complain.

Just like with IU's hired today for the AD we all complain even though most of us have no idea what went into the process to make this hired.  Did we try to get Reynolds and he decided to stay at Bradley or did they just think Dolson was the best hire for IU. 

Reading tweets, they are saying for continuity.  On paper, Reynolds is the best candidate.  He was an IU lifer and had to leave to grow in his profession.  Again, grow in his profession.

Reynolds also helps diversify the administration as that is needed.  Reynolds has experience from Notre Dame, Northwestern and IU, not to mention MSU and Bradley.  He has connections beyond IU.

Disappointing that Reynolds is not the hire.  Dolson could be good and it would be great to hear his vision.  

However, a Chris Reynolds does not come around often- and something caused them not to make this hire.  They should explain more.

1 minute ago, Beowulf50 said:

Chris Reynolds played and gave everything to this university!! I’m to the point where I don’t care and will not watch!! A former Hoosier player Chris, was very qualified to lead us back to the promised land! I am sick and tired of this mediocre BS!! 

I'm so confused what that has to do with hiring an AD? We're a top 25 team headed into next season. 

What are we all whining about now? 

Ok, just my opinion but we have some good coaches that I feel are taking the football and basketball programs in the right direction! I don’t know what and AD does on a daily bases so if he backs these coaches and give them what they need then, hey he’ll be all right wont he? 

I'll agree with what WatShot said earlier. Mens basketball wins. This topic will be rear view mirror.

I'd prefer we brought in some new blood but at the same time. If we recruit and win in hoops...all will be fine. Football is well established. Coach Allen has great resources at  his disposal. IU facilities and complexes are night and day from where they were 10 years ago. Guess just give this guy a chance. With that said...I also agree if others are frustrated. This seems to be a business as usual hiring. 

How's that for cya 101 on a sports board?

19 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Reading tweets, they are saying for continuity.  On paper, Reynolds is the best candidate.  He was an IU lifer and had to leave to grow in his profession.  Again, grow in his profession.

Reynolds also helps diversify the administration as that is needed.  Reynolds has experience from Notre Dame, Northwestern and IU, not to mention MSU and Bradley.  He has connections beyond IU.

Disappointing that Reynolds is not the hire.  Dolson could be good and it would be great to hear his vision.  

However, a Chris Reynolds does not come around often- and something caused them not to make this hire.  They should explain more.

Reynolds is who I wanted as well but I am at least going to give Dolson a chance

12 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Chris Reynolds played and gave everything to this university!! I’m to the point where I don’t care and will not watch!! A former Hoosier player Chris, was very qualified to lead us back to the promised land! I am sick and tired of this mediocre BS!! 

I wanted him as well but saw someone say that Bradley's athletic teams as a whole ranked like 207 in the country

Archived