IndyStar - IU to Hire Scott Dolson as next AD

4 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

There we go!! What is Dook known for?? What is UNC known for?? What is UK known for?? What is KU known for??

Idc about any of those schools lol

We can be a well rounded sports program while still having elite basketball. They arent separate entities. 

What more does the basketball need to be successful? We spend as much on recruiting as anyone, state of the art practice facility and brand new locker room that's unbelievable, top 5 home court in the country, great fanbase (at least financially), plethora of in state talent. What more does it need? 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did we not have a run in baseball? Is swimming/diving not solid? Track? Women's basketball is showing real signs, and I tend to think soccer is pretty decent.

How does any of that keep us from being elite at basketball?

We may be "known" for basketball, but other sports can still excel.

Anybody think Duke, UK etc are the bottom of the barrel in other sports? No, they are just known (rightfully so) for basketball.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Check out the addition I made to my post. 

Why would you only want to be a basketball school? 

Oh my god!! Ok our Football Team goes to a bowl once a decade! Our Basketball program should be dancing every year!! The others god bless them!! 

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Did we not have a run in baseball? Is swimming/diving not solid? Track? Women's basketball is showing real signs, and I tend to think soccer is pretty decent.

Anybody think Duke, UK etc are the bottom of the barrel in other sports? No, they are just known (rightfully so) for basketball.

Top 25 in- baseball, softball, football, men's soccer, women's basketball, men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's indoor/outdoor track and field. All in the last 365 days.  

We should have a top 25 basketball team next year. How does hiring Dolson slow us from going back to elite in basketball? 

1 minute ago, Beowulf50 said:

Oh my god!! Ok our Football Team goes to a bowl once a decade! Our Basketball program should be dancing every year!! The others god bless them!! 

What more does the basketball need to be successful? We spend as much on recruiting as anyone, state of the art practice facility and brand new locker room that's unbelievable, top 5 home court in the country, great fanbase (at least financially), plethora of in state talent. What more does it need? 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When things like this happen I really hate how some of our fans just automatically jump to the conclusion that it is a bad higher before giving a person a chance.  When you start out with that attitude you will never change it and come to hope for failure so you can be proven right.

Same thing when Mr. Glass was hired.  Fans pointed out his record developing Indianapolis.  Fully well expecting a total failure at IU. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I’m all for EVERY sports program excelling!! Which one pays the bills!?? Why do we have this forum!?? BASKETBALL!!

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Mmmm no. Football pays PLENTY of those bills as well. 

Absolutely true. The football program has always paid a lot of those bills even when the results on the field were really bad. When I was in school, I spent some time with the associate AD's at the time (Harold Mauro for example) for class research and got a better picture of how things work.

1 minute ago, bronkonagurski said:

Absolutely true. The football program has always paid a lot of those bills even when the results on the field were really bad. When I was in school, I spent some time with the associate AD's at the time (Harold Mauro for example) for class research and got a better picture of how things work.

Wow is this a football forum now?? 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idc about any of those schools lol

We can be a well rounded sports program while still having elite basketball. They arent separate entities. 

What more does the basketball need to be successful? We spend as much on recruiting as anyone, state of the art practice facility and brand new locker room that's unbelievable, top 5 home court in the country, great fanbase (at least financially), plethora of in state talent. What more does it need? 

94dd9754-b110-43aa-a74e-7a7cddba03e7_text.gif

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This hire is pure and simple not based on credentials or the best man for the job.  If it were, the hire would not be Dolson.  I’m not taking a personal shot at the man.  I’m sure he loves IU and will try hard.  I am sure he’s a good family man and a good person.  But, I’m talking about the credentials of the candidate.  This is a big tell of what the admin thinks of sports.   You’re kidding yourself or living in an alternate reality if you think otherwise.  

Reynolds was a former player as opposed to a manager.   Reynolds has a PhD and a JD, Dolson has a bachelors.  Reynolds has big time experience at other schools and will have been exposed to other ideas.   At the end of the day, Reynolds was at Bradley, a school with a limited national profile in terms of sports.  It’s not at IU’s level.  Getting Reynolds out of there should have been do-able.  Pat Kraft also has better credentials across the board.  He would have been aggressive.  

For example, for those of you who want Archie fired, it doesn’t do any good.  This is the type of hire you will see.  It’s not like, oh all of a sudden, let’s break the bank and get a stud coach.  This is the level of hire you will get.  We 100% need Archie to come through as he goes into year four.   That’s easily our best solution.  Furthermore, IU will not change overnight.  This would be like turning around an aircraft carrier in tight waters.  It would take a long time for the admin to “get it.”  

When Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky get their next coach, watch and take notes how they do it.  They know what butters their bread and they will go for it. 

I know some coaches were involved.  It’s kind of backwards.  They may have hired their buddy, a guy who isn’t threatening and won’t push them.  Who wouldn’t want that?   And it fits for the keystone cops in the administration and Board. 

Having said all that, I will give Dolson a chance.  But, he’s not nearly as qualified as other excellent candidates, and that makes him a dysfunctional and alarming hire.  

I’m not following the references to CAM. 

He just got us into the tourney, 20-win team, virus insanity derailed that, but we are clearly very much on the right path, right now, with CAM, and including Lander and the path of recruiting. Did I misunderstand your post references to CAM here?

On Dolson, I have no idea whether he’ll be a successful AD or not — but maybe this is all besides the point? We’re moving up with CAM, at least from my vantage point, does it really matter who we hired as AD right now? 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’m not following the references to CAM. 

He just got us into the tourney, 20-win team, virus insanity derailed that, but we are clearly very much on the right path, right now, with CAM, and including Lander and the path of recruiting. Did I misunderstand your post references to CAM here?

On Dolson, I have no idea whether he’ll be a successful AD or not — but maybe this is all besides the point? We’re moving up with CAM, at least from my vantage point, does it really matter who we hired as AD right now? 

Basically how I feel. I'm sort of confused where Reynolds would have been SO much better than Dolson at this point? 

Archie isnt going anywhere. I just am confused where all this complaining is coming from? 

Stop it. Just stop it.  Was a time when IU was a swimming school. Having won 6 consecutive national championships under Doc at one time. Everybody knows....  Now... we are a soccer school, with eight national championships.  Basketball with just five national championships pales in comparison.

You know I am being sarcastic here.  However, we do have a proud tradition, in more than just one sport.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

If men's basketball ever gets back to being successful again, Dolson's name will rarely be mentioned. Fred Glass took as much heat as he did because the men's basketball program was an abject failure for much of his tenure. His legacy will mostly be remembered as unnecessarily extending Crean in 2012, which played a part in his decision to not fire him in 2015, then declining to host an NIT game and using spring break as an excuse. 

If men's basketball wins, Dolson wins. It's that simple. 

Hit the nail on the head here. 

Archived