IndyStar - IU to Hire Scott Dolson as next AD

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beowulf50 said:

Ok....a yes man vs. a get it done man?? A IU Basketball man! Keep challenging me bud!!

What would Reynolds do different? 

We have- top 25 next year, rabid fanbase, excellent practice facility, unbelievable locker room, and an incredible recruiting foundation with in state talent

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What would Reynolds do different? 

We have- top 25 next year, rabid fanbase, excellent practice facility, unbelievable locker room, and an incredible recruiting foundation with in state talent

You left out.... the best looking coeds in the state.  LOL

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

There we go!! What is Dook known for?? What is UNC known for?? What is UK known for?? What is KU known for??

Wait.  I got this!

Dook = Men's Lacrosse

UNC = Academic Fraud

UK = Point shaving...Fed Ex envelopes...

KU = Stripper poles at Midnight Madness (I almost forgot about the big brawl)

Do I win a prize?!?!?

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Wait.  I got this!

Dook = Men's Lacrosse

UNC = Academic Fraud

KU = Stripper poles at Midnight Madness

Do I win a prize?!?!?

IU = constant disappointment??? WTH am I missing here?? One guy has us being a swimming school and another has us jumping off trapeze!!

play basketball at a high level!! Go to the tournament every year!! 

50 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’m not following the references to CAM. 

He just got us into the tourney, 20-win team, virus insanity derailed that, but we are clearly very much on the right path, right now, with CAM, and including Lander and the path of recruiting. Did I misunderstand your post references to CAM here?

On Dolson, I have no idea whether he’ll be a successful AD or not — but maybe this is all besides the point? We’re moving up with CAM, at least from my vantage point, does it really matter who we hired as AD right now? 

To be clear, I’m not trying to get Archie out.  But there are some with an itchy trigger finger.  My point was the next coach will be an Archie type.  It’s not like our administration is going to pop for a big name like Kansas, UNC and Kentucky undoubtedly will.  So, if you fire Archie there will be no elixir type of hire with this administration.  Thus, easily the best solution is that Archie works out big time.  If he doesn’t, there is no reason to be optimistic that we will suddenly buck all prior trends and go big.  It is not like this is one or two people in the administration.  This is a pervasive group think in the administration and has been for years.  

14 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Wait.  I got this!

Dook = Men's Lacrosse

UNC = Academic Fraud

KU = Stripper poles at Midnight Madness (I almost forgot about the big brawl)

Do I win a prize?!?!?

The only laughing matter is IU athletics and the powers at be!!! I’m not laughing though are You??

20 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

play basketball at a high level!! Go to the tournament every year!! 

The reason you’re getting some pushback is because you’re freaking out, yet have no clue how or why Reynolds would impact your above statement any more or differently than Dolson. I’m not saying I know either, but that’s the point, why get so mad over something we have very little insight into one way or another. 

How does Dolson minimize the capabilities of your above statement compared to Reynolds? 

I’m all for EVERY sports program excelling!! Which one pays the bills!?? Why do we have this forum!?? BASKETBALL!!

My favorite sport is basketball but everyone knows that a great football program pays the bills.  I agree at IU that basketball is king and it will probably always be like that but that does not mean we should just worry about basketball.  I don't think anyone on here that does not want the basketball program to succeed and I think most sees that it is on the right path,  this hire will not impede on the direction the program will go.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The reason you’re getting some pushback is because you’re freaking out, yet have no clue how or why Reynolds would impact your above statement any more or differently than Dolson. I’m not saying I know either, but that’s the point, why get so mad over something we have very little insight into one way or another. 

How does Dolson minimize the capabilities of your above statement compared to Reynolds? 

BGleas, I respect you a lot!!!

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

To be clear, I’m not trying to get Archie out.  But there are some with an itchy trigger finger.  My point was the next coach will be an Archie type.  It’s not like our administration is going to pop for a big name like Kansas, UNC and Kentucky undoubtedly will.  So, if you fire Archie there will be no elixir type of hire with this administration.  Thus, easily the best solution is that Archie works out big time.  If he doesn’t, there is no reason to be optimistic that we will suddenly buck all prior trends and go big.  It is not like this is one or two people in the administration.  This is a pervasive group think in the administration and has been for years.  

The thing is that would be the case no matter who the AD is because you are not going to get an elite coach to leave their current position.  I bet when Duke and UNC has an opening you are not going to see them go out and get the best coach in the country.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Top 25 in- baseball, softball, football, men's soccer, women's basketball, men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's indoor/outdoor track and field. All in the last 365 days.  

We should have a top 25 basketball team next year. How does hiring Dolson slow us from going back to elite in basketball? 

Football is not top 25.  

Being good at all of those other sports is a feather in the cap, but football and basketball are what pay the bills.  If you are the AD at Indiana and the men's basketball team is not winning, you suck at your job.  Period.  Priority one should be doing well at the one thing you should be predisposed to do well in.  That should be the well oiled machine that requires little attention because it just does well.  That would give you time to focus on getting the football program respectable.

Mind-bogglingly, we have not had an AD since before Knight was fired who could figure that out.  Fred Glass was the same as Tom Crean.  P.T. Barnum.  Hiring from within sends the message to me that Indiana is going to be content to continue to soak money out of dumbasses like I have been, by selling me memories of a 30 year old product.  We're cheap, short-sighted, risk averse, and insular.

Blech on Dolson.  We passed on a more qualified candidate so we can get another yes man that has been developing at Indiana.  

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Football is not top 25.  

Being good at all of those other sports is a feather in the cap, but football and basketball are what pay the bills.  If you are the AD at Indiana and the men's basketball team is not winning, you suck at your job.  Period.  Priority one should be doing well at the one thing you should be predisposed to do well in.  That should be the well oiled machine that requires little attention because it just does well.  That would give you time to focus on getting the football program respectable.

Mind-bogglingly, we have not had an AD since before Knight was fired who could figure that out.  Fred Glass was the same as Tom Crean.  P.T. Barnum.  Hiring from within sends the message to me that Indiana is going to be content to continue to soak money out of dumbasses like I have been, by selling me memories of a 30 year old product.  We're cheap, short-sighted, risk averse, and insular.

Blech on Dolson.  We passed on a more qualified candidate so we can get another yes man that has been developing at Indiana.  

The post was meant to say.. they were all ranked in the top 25 in the last 365 days. I would have assumed you understood what the post meant. 

BGleas, I respect you a lot!!!

Thank you! Don’t get wrong, I’m extremely underwhelmed just as you are, but ultimately we don’t know how Dolson will do, and IU basketball succeeding right now isn’t about Scott Dolson or Chris Reynolds, it’s about Archie Miller. Archie hasn’t turned the corner yet by any means, but he certainly has things heading in a positive direction. It’s on Archie right now. 

Archived