IndyStar - IU to Hire Scott Dolson as next AD

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bronkonagurski said:

From what I understand, Dolson was a manager for 4 years in the late 80's under RMK. So doesn't it stand to reason he will care about IU basketball, if that is the concern? 

And, he is someone that the alumni players connect with.  Randy W and Pat K mentioned him and said he was the only one they communicated with with Coach Knights reunion.

I would like to learn more about his role in the past.  Maybe he is the best candidate.

Glass was a great hire because he helped bring events and build venues in Indy, something IU needed. He also was a lawyer, a perspective the division needed.

Just do not know enough about the new hire?  He could go down as the best AD ever.  Hope he does.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

To be clear, I’m not trying to get Archie out.  But there are some with an itchy trigger finger.  My point was the next coach will be an Archie type.  It’s not like our administration is going to pop for a big name like Kansas, UNC and Kentucky undoubtedly will.  So, if you fire Archie there will be no elixir type of hire with this administration.  Thus, easily the best solution is that Archie works out big time.  If he doesn’t, there is no reason to be optimistic that we will suddenly buck all prior trends and go big.  It is not like this is one or two people in the administration.  This is a pervasive group think in the administration and has been for years.  

Ok I understand where you’re coming from, thx. CAM isn’t going anywhere though and I think is about to have a really successful year next year so it’s all probably moot anyway. 

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ok I understand where you’re coming from, thx. CAM isn’t going anywhere though and I think is about to have a really successful year next year so it’s all probably moot anyway. 

Bob is right.  We all better hope CAM kills it.  If he fails we'll get Alford or the mid major of the month. 

My thought of the day regarding the thoughts of others on message boards is :  "Know it,  before you blow it!!!" 

^^^^^ This is called " My comments on the new AD based on what I know about hiring ADS ;)  Hint : I know nothing about hiring ADs

TMYK1996.png

I'm curious as to why everyone assumes we didn't offer Chris.  Mile posted a couple of days ago that Bradley was working hard to keep him.  I knew Chris from my time in Bloomington, and he is a family man through and through.  He was my choice, but I would've felt better about our chances if he were still at NW or ND.  The fact that he had made it back to Peoria lessened our odds.  Fact is Chris spent more years of his life playing basketball on Bradley's campus than he did IU's.  He's an "IU Guy" no question, but I think it's very plausible that he could've said, "Thanks for the opportunity, but at this time I'm going to stay home".  For the record, I think the ridiculous comment about the Coronavirus and continuity is evidence that Chris said "No".

I've read this entire thread and I still have no idea why I should care about the AD. Is there something missing from our basketball program that a theoretical AD would supply and this one might not? I'm optimistic about our coach, and if things go south it seems safe to assume we will pay the next guy a top 10 salary. As far as I know we have a high recruiting budget and pay our assistants very well. What else should I want an AD to do?

12 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

What a blankety blanking load of blank.

I think the idea is the new guy might not be able to set foot on campus for the next several months and even if he does, all the other department people won't be there. I can see why that makes hiring from within smoother. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I've read this entire thread and I still have no idea why I should care about the AD. Is there something missing from our basketball program that a theoretical AD would supply and this one might not? I'm optimistic about our coach, and if things go south it seems safe to assume we will pay the next guy a top 10 salary. As far as I know we have a high recruiting budget and pay our assistants very well. What else should I want an AD to do?

Yes, an AD plays a vital role. The support given by the administration is crucial.  This has been discussed as nauseam and would essentially require an essay to explain. If you listen to Brian Snow and Jeff Rabjohns, they have explained good chunks of it.  Beyond that, there are responsibilities with advocating and getting things done with the board, identifying legal issues, and, going forward, leading in terms of the new opportunities coming in the changing landscape.  These items go far beyond how Archie draws up an out of bounds play.  The administration is a vital aspect.

This is much deeper than the reflex positive reaction that all fans have. We could hire Minnie Mouse and Ronald McDonald and we’d have people thinking it’s fine.  

I'm late to the party so way way too many opinions and points been brought up for me to go through but I will simply give my humble opinion of a guy that loves the state of Indiana and it's premier University.

Do I know how Dolson will do with the job...no...will I give him the benefit of the doubt...for sure. I truly believe no one there wants the university to do poorly...they just have a difference of opinion sometimes on the way to move forward towards success. I am of the mindset that IU has some really honest to goodness premier athletic programs that are or should be the envy of the country. Mens Soccer, Swimming/Diving, Men's Basketball etc etc. We have some really up and coming programs like Women's Basketball and Baseball and we all know football will always be a struggle but certainly it's looking respectable (I never expect us to be perinnial B1G contenders but certainly would like to see us be a consistent bowl team and who knows make a run once a decade or so at a B1G title). These programs should be viewed as the sails in our ship. If they aren't flying high we aren't going to move this program forward. I think to run our athletic department and especially be in charge of the basketball program should be seen as an elite position and privilege. We should take care of this legacy with the utmost care.

So...my big concern is how this process seemed to play out and the emphasis on internal control and continuity. To me this speaks to a University that wants a person who they have a tight grip on and will answer and conform to their desires as opposed to someone that will possibly go against the grain or be more independently minded. I 100% believe the University still is afraid of the athletics becoming the face of the University again and having coaches or programs become so powerful they can not fully control them as they wish. Do I think Dolson will be a fine AD....I will give him the chance. One thing is for sure...he wasn't the most qualified...and the process was clearly tipped in his favor. Whether that is by the board and president or the current coaches who have relationships with him and don't want to feel threatened to have to own up to their job performance or be scrutinized more closely...its clear this decision was already decided and the process was just for show. To me that is not a recipe for success long term. We may dodge a bullet...or imo which is just my opinion...but is this similar to the Mike Davis hire...you feel pressure to keep people happy in house and you see some continuity and limited success but because of your short sightedness in the end you have someone over their head and it costs you in the long run. I hope that is not the case...I hope Dolson hits it out of the park...but for sure I have lost confidence with those at the top with how this process went based on the information we have available to us.

It seems to me large corporations across the country have consistently maintained a policy of promoting and hiring within.  If hiring from within had proven over time to result in negative outcomes I would think every successful corporation would discontinue hiring from within.  I do not know Mr. Dolson but I'm certainly willing to give him a chance.  Chris R would be my preference but I will withhold judgement on IU's choice until he has time to take the reigns and prove himself.

54 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm curious as to why everyone assumes we didn't offer Chris.  Mile posted a couple of days ago that Bradley was working hard to keep him.  I knew Chris from my time in Bloomington, and he is a family man through and through.  He was my choice, but I would've felt better about our chances if he were still at NW or ND.  The fact that he had made it back to Peoria lessened our odds.  Fact is Chris spent more years of his life playing basketball on Bradley's campus than he did IU's.  He's an "IU Guy" no question, but I think it's very plausible that he could've said, "Thanks for the opportunity, but at this time I'm going to stay home".  For the record, I think the ridiculous comment about the Coronavirus and continuity is evidence that Chris said "No".

Just my two cents because I deal with it often. No offer is ever extended until you know it would be accepted. If an offer is presented without doing all of the normal questions, what's the hesitation,etc.....I would think the person doing the offering needs to find a new position.

13 minutes ago, iu2win said:

It seems to me large corporations across the country have consistently maintained a policy of promoting and hiring within.  If hiring from within had proven over time to result in negative outcomes I would think every successful corporation would discontinue hiring from within.  I do not know Mr. Dolson but I'm certainly willing to give him a chance.  Chris R would be my preference but I will withhold judgement on IU's choice until he has time to take the reigns and prove himself.

I respect that. Honestly though typically boards decide on CEOs etc..and these are typically made up of people that for the most part have existed "outside" the organization. You bring in a successful CEO from outside your company to sit on your board...first it brings diversity of thought but hopefully someone that has proven history of success and can help lead your organization down that path as well. A lot of internal hires might be because they have also been the ones that have lead your organization through significant change or program successfully or has simply been the best person for the job all along. That said a lot of unsuccessful hires result on promoting from within without fully determining is the person right for the position and what makes them successful at their current position translates to the new one. I agree with you in giving him a chance. He seems well liked inside circles and has been a part of what appears to be a positive change in the athletics department. That said it can't be ignored he isn't the most qualified in terms of his resume and from the remarks from the university that this process may not have been as open and diligent search as much as a necessary formality and that makes me stop and question how we came to the decision more so then who we selected.

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

Thank you! Don’t get wrong, I’m extremely underwhelmed just as you are, but ultimately we don’t know how Dolson will do, and IU basketball succeeding right now isn’t about Scott Dolson or Chris Reynolds, it’s about Archie Miller. Archie hasn’t turned the corner yet by any means, but he certainly has things heading in a positive direction. It’s on Archie right now. 

As much as I complain about the process...I certainly don't want to say Dolson can't do a great job. Honestly as far as AD's go....who is an "OVERWHELMING" hire lol. I couldn't say. Did I have my preference for Reynolds...certainly but would that count in the College landscape as an "overwhelming" AD hire? We only really have the track record to go off of and if Dolson has done a ton of work behind the scenes at IU to get us in the position we are in...I suppose he might very well be a great hire. I mean USC has had their issues with AD and many other schools. It really comes down to getting the right coaches in their positions and giving them what they need. Name recognition may not be that important. I know exactly what you are saying because when I heard it on the radio I took a big sigh too...but in the end how many people know the name of the AD that Knight worked under when we were winning championships. I know a few will know his name on here that are IU historians but I bet most don't without looking it up. I certainly didn't if it wasn't for reading so much about Knight in his books and other books. I fully agree with your last part. It's in Archie's hands and if he is the right hire...the AD stuff will mostly be a mute point because if the basketball takes off he will likely continue to keep his job if he keeps Archie happy lol.

Wasn't planning to weigh in but after wading through this growing thread I am disturbed by what I consider to be errant characterizations and attacks on Scott Dolson's credentials, capabilities, aspirations and character.  He certainly doesn't need for me to defend him and I may well be pissing in the wind here but feel the need to go on record hoping to convince at least some to give Scott a chance before casting judgement on his performance as AD.

I have known Scott for well over 20 years and essentially "grew up' with him from his early days as Dave Martin's Varsity Club Assistant Director. For many years we met for lunch at least twice per year to discuss IU basketball and football and to strategize to get my Varsity Club points up to improve my seats. I got to know Scott well over the years and value my friendship with him today. He is a good man, loves IU and is passionate about building IU football and returning the "swagger" to IU basketball. I do not for a moment believe that Scott is a "yes man" but rather is a man with strong convictions about what IU athletics can and should be and who will be true to those convictions.  With over 30 years dedicated to IU Athletics Scott has formed his vision for the Department and, when the time is right, I expect he will share it with Hoosier Nation.  I for one believe that IU got (kept) a good one - needless to say, I am a fan.

37 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Wasn't planning to weigh in but after wading through this growing thread I am disturbed by what I consider to be errant characterizations and attacks on Scott Dolson's credentials, capabilities, aspirations and character.  He certainly doesn't need for me to defend him and I may well be pissing in the wind here but feel the need to go on record hoping to convince at least some to give Scott a chance before casting judgement on his performance as AD.

I have known Scott for well over 20 years and essentially "grew up' with him from his early days as Dave Martin's Varsity Club Assistant Director. For many years we met for lunch at least twice per year to discuss IU basketball and football and to strategize to get my Varsity Club points up to improve my seats. I got to know Scott well over the years and value my friendship with him today. He is a good man, loves IU and is passionate about building IU football and returning the "swagger" to IU basketball. I do not for a moment believe that Scott is a "yes man" but rather is a man with strong convictions about what IU athletics can and should be and who will be true to those convictions.  With over 30 years dedicated to IU Athletics Scott has formed his vision for the Department and, when the time is right, I expect he will share it with Hoosier Nation.  I for one believe that IU got (kept) a good one - needless to say, I am a fan.

I knew it.  I knew it. Due to your relationship with the Varsity Club, that you have mentioned over the years.... that you know Mr. Dolson from a personal perspective.  Thanks for helping HSN learn more about our new AD.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I knew it.  I knew it. Due to your relationship with the Varsity Club, that you have mentioned over the years.... that you know Mr. Dolson from a personal perspective.  Thanks for helping HSN learn more about our new AD.

Just to clarify, I don't recall ever mentioning my relationship with the Varsity Club or Scott on the boards.  In fact, i have intentionally refrained from doing so. I am sure I have shared things personally with you via PM but never felt compelled to share publicly.....until now.  I am happy to share my perspective on Scott at this time of great personal accomplishment for he and his family.  He deserves our support.

I appreciate your kind words.

Go Hoosiers!!!!!

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

So...my big concern is how this process seemed to play out and the emphasis on internal control and continuity. To me this speaks to a University that wants a person who they have a tight grip on and will answer and conform to their desires as opposed to someone that will possibly go against the grain or be more independently minded. I 100% believe the University still is afraid of the athletics becoming the face of the University again and having coaches or programs become so powerful they can not fully control them as they wish. Do I think Dolson will be a fine AD....I will give him the chance. One thing is for sure...he wasn't the most qualified...and the process was clearly tipped in his favor. Whether that is by the board and president or the current coaches who have relationships with him and don't want to feel threatened to have to own up to their job performance or be scrutinized more closely...its clear this decision was already decided and the process was just for show. To me that is not a recipe for success long term. We may dodge a bullet...or imo which is just my opinion...but is this similar to the Mike Davis hire...you feel pressure to keep people happy in house and you see some continuity and limited success but because of your short sightedness in the end you have someone over their head and it costs you in the long run. I hope that is not the case...I hope Dolson hits it out of the park...but for sure I have lost confidence with those at the top with how this process went based on the information we have available to us.

Isn't this complete speculation? How do you know the U hired Dolson because it thinks it will have a "tight grip" on him and have him "conform" to their desires (whatever those are)? Or it's somehow to prevent any new / outside face who could nefariously go against the grain? Flip side here is easy -- he's a known commodity, he's been at IU for many years, the decision to hire him was based on the belief he was qualified based on what he has shown the U over many years -- right or wrong -- isn't that just as possible?

The Mike Davis hire was a completely different situation, not even remotely the same. Knight had just been fired, several players, including key players (e.g., Fife) on the team publicly stated they were leaving unless the U hired Davis. The Pres/U then hired Davis for continuity and out of fear -- he wasn't a good hire, he'd never been a head coach, etc., but that's not in any way similar to the hire of a long-term AD with absolutely no ongoing controversy.

27 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Just to clarify, I don't recall ever mentioning my relationship with the Varsity Club or Scott on the boards.  In fact, i have intentionally refrained from doing so. I am sure I have shared things personally with you via PM but never felt compelled to share publicly.....until now.  I am happy to share my perspective on Scott at this time of great personal accomplishment for he and his family.  He deserves our support.

I appreciate your kind words.

Go Hoosiers!!!!!

Pretty sure it was via private messages, as well. If memory serves correctly, you were kind enough to share information with me, regarding varsity club lunches. Even think you talked about Mr. Dolson, a time or more.  Stuff, I  too did not share on the boards. I get "stuff" all the time, that I appreciate, that I keep to myself.   However, I am glad you came out today. In order to give our members a personal perspective on our new AD.   And since you put it on the board, is the only reason, I replied the way that I did.  I did not mean it in any other way.

3 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

Just saw this. Thanks for posting, on your personal experience. The way some here assume things and for reasons beyond me cast the U in a bad light based on a hire, that they actually know nothing about, is surprising and somewhat disturbing. Hope those people read your post and take it to heart.

While I don't like this hire very much, us having this thread to voice our opinions and concerns could turn out to be a good thing. If IU athletics ever checks out fan boards to gauge public opinion, Scott Dolson would know by now a lot of fans are concerned with his promotion. I wish he tackle his day to day tasks with a chip on his shoulder. I wish he'd be eager to prove a lot of doubters wrong. 

The argument in this thread of "IU basketball will be top 25 next year anyway" is weird and nonsensical. So the administration could have hired literally anyone since IUBB will be top 25 next year so what does it matter?

From an outsider's perspective, it looks like IU had the opportunity to hire the best candidate available (Reynolds) and blew it. Why would you not hire the best candidate available if he wants the job? I don't understand it.

Hopefully the insiders see something in Dolson other than "continuity" but my faith in this administration is low. I would not doubt for a second that their choice was based on the easy path of least resistance.

Archived