Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
HoosierFaithful

March Madness comes to HSN

Recommended Posts

HSN members:

Are you craving a little basketball fix?  Do you find yourself watching re-runs of old games or watching marble racing with the same vigor you cheer on our Hoosiers?

We understand.  We feel the same way.   Thankfully, a member stepped up with a wonderful idea to help us pass the time.  We can thank cybergates, our new resident HSN Tournament Commissioner, for creating our own version of March Madness:

image.png.238de9375ffcff7225640c117668205d.png

That's right - our Hoosiers are facing off against our Hoosiers.  We can't lose!  Every day, cybergates will post the entire slate of all of the day's "games" on a single thread with multiple poll questions.  Members are encouraged to discuss, debate, and vote the various matchups!

In the interest of fairness, teams were seeded sequentially by year.  In all honesty, random seeding isn't too different than what the Selection Committee does some years, so we felt it was appropriate.

Keep your eyes peeled for posts beginning at 12pm EST tomorrow and prepare to defend your favorite IUBB team all the way to the Final Four!

HF + the team

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a preview of game one...

Game 1

image.png.fae8315f25994b49a914912486b80dcd.png

VS

image.png.fca426bd423f8bb6ba4a86f8740ddead.png

The opening game of the tournament pits the Archie Miller’s 2020 Hoosiers led by McDonald’s All-American Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis vs. Branch McCracken’s 1957 Big Ten Champion squad led by future NBA player Archie Dees.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2020.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1957.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956–57_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Here's a preview of game one...

Game 1

image.png.fae8315f25994b49a914912486b80dcd.png

VS

image.png.fca426bd423f8bb6ba4a86f8740ddead.png

The opening game of the tournament pits the Archie Miller’s 2020 Hoosiers led by McDonald’s All-American Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis vs. Branch McCracken’s 1957 Big Ten Champion squad led by future NBA player Archie Dees.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2020.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1957.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956–57_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

What time frame rules are we playing with in this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rico said:

What time frame rules are we playing with in this one?

Good question.

The question posed in the poll will just be "Who wins?". It will be up to each HSN member to decide how they want to vote and the parameters surrounding the "game". One might try to "simulate" the game in their mind (or online at places like https://www.whatifsports.com/ncaab/default.asp#top). Another might pick based on like/dislike of players and/or the coach. I'm hoping people will discuss the teams in question (debate/plead their case) and link to games/videos before voting. My ultimate answer to your question is "It is up to you" and is specific to each person voting.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And we know Scott will tell us how much better those guys were back in the olden days, with their short shorts!

Image result for basketball players with short shorts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know most of our members were not around then. I  am putting my money down on the '57 team, for game one.  Archie Dees, and Hallie Bryant. On the same team. Oh my !

 Remembering Archie Dees 

 Fun with Hallie Bryant former IU great, of the Harlem Globetrotters 

Be sure to repost those links in the game thread tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Be sure to repost those links in the game thread tomorrow

Will do. Per your request.  Very sure, many of our members are not aware of how great those two were.  I'm so old. I actually saw them play in an Indiana uniform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, so many ways to go with this! Style of play, athleticism, who's rules, length of shorts, best singer? I'm so confused! 

Cr.p, forgot length of socks and length of hair!

Edited by Drroogh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And we know Scott will tell us how much better those guys were back in the olden days, with their short shorts!

True, and @milehiiu will vote for whichever team had the fewest early entries into the NBA.  ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Oh yeah !

So mile when you vote are you going to consider players that only played 3 years worse than the 4 year players?

What about the players that weren't allowed to play as freshman?🙂

Edited by Drroogh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So mile when you vote are you going to consider players that only played 3 years better than 4?

What about the players that weren't allowed to play as freshman?🙂

That's a great question.  Players that were not allowed to play their freshman year, are exempt. Not their fault the rules disallowed them from a full four years.  Then there are others, whom I will have to think long and hard on. Like Cody, and Eric. Guess, it will come down to how much they contributed to our program before leaving early.  Then.... there is Noah Vonleh, who quit early on us, who for sure will never get a vote from me.

On the flip side. Some, like Dean Garrett who did not start out as a Hoosier, but was a great contributor.  As well as Keith Smart, who actually won a NC for us get votes from me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's a great question.  Players that were not allowed to play their freshman year, are exempt. Not their fault the rules disallowed them from a full four years.  Then there are others, whom I will have to think long and hard on. Like Cody, and Eric. Guess, it will come down to how much they contributed to our program before leaving early.  Then.... there is Noah Vonleh, who quit early on us, who for sure will never get a vote from me.

On the flip side. Some, like Dean Garrett who did not start out as a Hoosier, but was a great contributor.  As well as Keith Smart, who actually won a NC for us get votes from me.

So does that mean 4 year Yogi get's punished because Noah was on the team? Just playing, mile love you! But, like I said I'm so confused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So does that mean 4 year Yogi get's punished because Noah was on the team? Just playing, mile love you! But, like I said I'm so confused!

Now. You've got me confused.   But thanks for the praise.  Back at you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know that the 74-75 and 75-76 are the two best teams of all time so they will be playing for the championship.  

And we know Scott will tell us how much better those guys were back in the olden days, with their short shorts! 

As for this comment I think the product on the court back then is way better than wat we see today.  Players today are more athletic but that does not mean they play basketball better than the past players.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I'm guessing your winner criteria is based on fashion then!

Well, that’s how my wife won her NCAA pool recently, the teams with the pretty colors! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recap through round one:

Coaches:

image.png.e8a2ff37da601a2425e05074f66ee89b.png

Decades:

1950s: 3-0

1960s: 5-5

1970s: 8-2

1980s: 6-4 * 5-3 when not facing same decade

1990s: 3-7

2000s: 3-7

2010s: 4-6

2020s: 0-1

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...