Defensive Improvements

Just looked at Kenpom and realized we finished 26th in defensive efficiency.  We are almost in championship territory with the required defensive component.  IIRC only one champion in the last 20 years did not have a top 25 d.  IU d eff last year 32.  CAM's first year 65.  

End of year computer rankings

Kenpom 34 sos 23

Bpi 35 SOS 17 we can stop the belly aching

net 56

sagarin 34

rpi 60

masseys composite 39

Bring back a healthy Rob, stronger Armaan, very experienced Al, d stopper Justin Smith, stronger Jerome, strong Trayce, still hungry Brunk, toughness personified Race.  Need some scoring punch but the defense is there.  I think we are going to enjoy Indiana basketball in the near futures boys and girls.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Just looked at Kenpom and realized we finished 26th in defensive efficiency.  We are almost in championship territory with the required defensive component.  IIRC only one champion in the last 20 years did not have a top 25 d.  IU d eff last year 32.  CAM's first year 65.  

Kenpom 34 sos 23

net 56

sagarin 34

rpi 60

masseys composite 39

Bring back a healthy Rob, stronger Armaan, very experienced Al, d stopper Justin Smith, stronger Jerome, strong Trayce, still hungry Brunk, toughness personified Race.  Need some scoring punch but the defense is there.  I think we are going to enjoy Indiana basketball in the near futures boys and girls.  

And add 5-star Lander, assuming reclass, that's immediate scoring / shooting.

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Probably needs to be a 6'6-6'9 3/4 tweener. Just a smidge thin up front. 

I've been saying start now B1G ready wing.  Point is covered.  Playing Justin Smith at the 3 is not the best fit for anyone.  I'll take a 3.  Not sure we need more front court depth for the new season with Trayce, Smith, Race, Brunk and I'm not opposed to Hunter grabbing 5 mins a game at the 4 to open things up big time for Trayce when we desperately need bucket.  

With 80 mins to give, we have Trayce and Justin getting 30 and 31 in conference, Race at 15.  Sure Smith played out of position a lot, hoepfully he either hits 700+ plus 3s all summer or he just plays a more natural four spot.  

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've been saying start now B1G ready wing.  Point is covered.  Playing Justin Smith at the 3 is not the best fit for anyone.  I'll take a 3.  Not sure we need more front court depth for the new season with Trayce, Smith, Race, Brunk and I'm not opposed to Hunter grabbing 5 mins a game at the 4 to open things up big time for Trayce when we desperately need bucket.  

With 80 mins to give, we have Trayce and Justin getting 30 and 31 in conference, Race at 15.  Sure Smith played out of position a lot, hoepfully he either hits 700+ plus 3s (per day) all summer or he just plays a more natural four spot.  

Fixed that for ya....😁👍

19 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Kenpom 34 sos 23

net 56

sagarin 34

rpi 60

masseys composite 39

Thanks for the summary/comparison(s). I had not seen any post season statistical wrap up kind of info yet.

I was pleased with the CAM hire when it happened thinking that Indiana might have finally hired its best coach in years, based on his philosophical approach to the game and possible in-game acumen. The droughts, losing streaks, and sometimes troubling on court execution have generated some uncertainty, but I do think we may have a bright future ahead.

Hopefully, next season will be one where we begin to see what we've been longing for. Defense is absolutely key to this.

Wasn't it said (by CAM?) at one point that it could take 3 years to adequately or fully implement his defense?

Archived