This Date in IUBB History: Indiana 73 Kentucky 67 (2016)

19 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

2 things I remember (barely) about this game. I'll get back to the barely part in a second. First was Thomas Bryant winking as he calmly steps up to the line and nails 2 free throws like it's no big thing. Second....and this is the barely part. IIRC this game started around 1050 pm EST. That was one very, very long day. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

2 things I remember (barely) about this game. I'll get back to the barely part in a second. First was Thomas Bryant winking as he calmly steps up to the line and nails 2 free throws like it's no big thing. Second....and this is the barely part. IIRC this game started around 1050 pm EST. That was one very, very long day. 

You are right about the first part.  But the game actually started around 5 p.m. ET. I remember it being light outside.  You might be thinking of the next game against North Carolina.  I believe that one started really late.

I had to watch most of it in the vegas airport waiting on flight back to Louisville, we were called to board with about 4 minutes left. I had to keep getting just score updates. My awesome sneaky wife got the final update just as we made the turn to take off. Fortunately, all the UK fans on board also got the last update, so they were all grumbling and bitchy the whole way home. A great moment to be a Hoosier fan

This was a really good, balanced team. 

YF was the guy. TW and TB were very good. NZ, MB, RJ, CH could all stretch the floor. OG and JM played a lot of meaningful minutes down the stretch. Especially when CH got banged up. 

We shot 42% from 3 as a team lol 

8 guys shot 35% or better with volume. (One of those was Blackmon who obviously got hurt). 6 of those guys shot better than 40%. 

That team cut really well, also, some of that is a product of our floor spacing and everyone constantly worrying about Yogi. 

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You are right about the first part.  But the game actually started around 5 p.m. ET. I remember it being light outside.  You might be thinking of the next game against North Carolina.  I believe that one started really late.

See. That's what I'm talking about. Appreciate the correction!

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

My family and I was eating at the Trails End Restaurant at Disney's Fort Wilderness. They had the game on TV! Needless to say it was tough for me to move away from the table to go through the buffet line!!! 👀

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

This was a really good, balanced team. 

YF was the guy. TW and TB were very good. NZ, MB, RJ, CH could all stretch the floor. OG and JM played a lot of meaningful minutes down the stretch. Especially when CH got banged up. 

We shot 42% from 3 as a team lol 

8 guys shot 35% or better with volume. (One of those was Blackmon who obviously got hurt). 6 of those guys shot better than 40%. 

That team cut really well, also, some of that is a product of our floor spacing and everyone constantly worrying about Yogi. 

Agreed.  I think we might have made the FF had we not been in UNC or Nova's bracket. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

This team faced a red hot shooting UNC and a Syracuse zone kept us from 2 serious runs at the FF.  I still believe that had we not faced Syracuse we would have won the title, 

I actually think of Crean's teams, the 2011-12 team had the best chance to reach a Final Four, had they not been matched up in UK's bracket. Of all of Crean's teams, that team was playing the best basketball at that point in the season, with the 2016 team a close second. While 2012-13 team was the most talented top-to-bottom, that team was on fumes by the time the tournament rolled around. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I actually think of Crean's teams, the 2011-12 team had the best chance to reach a Final Four, had they not been matched up in UK's bracket. Of all of Crean's teams, that team was playing the best basketball at that point in the season, with the 2016 team a close second. While 2012-13 team was the most talented top-to-bottom, that team was on fumes by the time the tournament rolled around. 

Elstons injuries really hurt that team. We were essentially only 7 deep, and not enough in the front court. 

Hollowell was just a dud. Smh. If played up to his potential that team was stacked. 

Dont forget though.. VJ had torn his ACL at that point too though. 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This team faced a red hot shooting UNC and a Syracuse zone kept us from 2 serious runs at the FF.  I still believe that had we not faced Syracuse we would have won the title, 

Correct. I will say.. @BGleas is right, it's all about how many darts you get to throw at the board in terms of winning a NC. Look how many times Nova and UVA had really good teams. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Elstons injuries really hurt that team. We were essentially only 7 deep, and not enough in the front court. 

Hollowell was just a dud. Smh. If played up to his potential that team was stacked. 

Dont forget though.. VJ had torn his ACL at that point too though. 

Agree. For all the talk going into the 2012-13 season about how deep that team was (the old Scout site actually had people saying our second 5 would finish second in the Big Ten, which was ridiculous), it was really lack of depth that was it's undoing. I just looked at the stats, and that team had 5 guys that averaged 28+ mpg. Only 7 guys averaged 10+ minutes per game. 

I still think that the team that was playing the best basketball come tournament time, even despite VJ3's injury, was the 2011-12 team. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Correct. I will say.. @BGleas is right, it's all about how many darts you get to throw at the board in terms of winning a NC. Look how many times Nova and UVA had really good teams. 

Yeah, my philosophy is get IU to be a consistent Big Ten title contender. Like, regularly in the top 3-4 of the conference, while winning the conference every few years. The NCAA Tournament is about getting high seed at bats. There will be years you falter, years you play pretty much to seed, but if IU is consistently competing for Big Ten Titles that means consistently getting seeded in the 1-4 range in the tournament. Eventually you're going to break through. 

You bring up two good examples. Jay Wright wasn't that great of a tournament performer (got past the Sweet Sixteen 2 times in 12 tournament appearances), until eventually he was. Tony Bennett is another good one. Yes, he had some tournament troubles with UVA, but from 2013-14 through this season he finished 1st or 2nd in the ACC every year but once. That means UVA had numerous "at bats" in the NCAA Tournament as a really high seed. Yeah, he had some tough losses, but eventually by setting yourself up so well with great regular season performances you're going to break through in the tournament. 

That was Crean's problem, lack of consistency. IU was either a top 1-4 seed or we were missing the tournament all together. He could keep the "down" years still really competitive. What I want from Archie is IU competing consistently for regular season conference championships. At a place that can pull talent like IU can when things are right, if he accomplishes Big Ten success, the rest will take care of itself. 

That was probably the WORST seeding by the NCAA in HISTORY! B1G champs a 5 seed and SEC Champs a 4 seed! Come on! I lived in Kentucky at the time and man were they b!tching about how the tournament gave them a raw deal with forcing them to play us. I'm like....YOU got a raw deal...a B1G Champion is a 5 seed...whatever! Sometimes the selection committee can show their bias....first putting us in the UK bracket for the revenge game back in 11-12 and then since we didn't play in the regular season the 16 team playing each other in the 2nd rd...just ludicrous.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That was probably the WORST seeding by the NCAA in HISTORY! B1G champs a 5 seed and SEC Champs a 4 seed! Come on! I lived in Kentucky at the time and man were they b!tching about how the tournament gave them a raw deal with forcing them to play us. I'm like....YOU got a raw deal...a B1G Champion is a 5 seed...whatever! Sometimes the selection committee can show their bias....first putting us in the UK bracket for the revenge game back in 11-12 and then since we didn't play in the regular season the 16 team playing each other in the 2nd rd...just ludicrous.

Meow here kitty kitty 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sorry, Kensucky fans...apparently the committee realized that the only way Calipussy would play IU is if they rigged the seeding and forced it.

Archived