Summer Program/AAU Travel Teams

Question for some of those out there that follow and coach etc. What is the status of the summer AAU circuit? Is it likely to be canceled this year? Also will our team be able to do the normal offseason workouts etc or will the athletes be forced to stay away from school. Just wondering how it will affect recruiting and our juniors etc summer ball plans and how it will affect our in coming class and next seasons workouts. Thanks for the input!!

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Question for some of those out there that follow and coach etc. What is the status of the summer AAU circuit? Is it likely to be canceled this year? Also will our team be able to do the normal offseason workouts etc or will the athletes be forced to stay away from school. Just wondering how it will affect recruiting and our juniors etc summer ball plans and how it will affect our in coming class and next seasons workouts. Thanks for the input!!

I coach my son's 11U AAU team, so definitely not your major high school AAU team going to Peach Jam or anything. Our stuff is all fairly local, and like I said we're at the early/younger stages of AAU. But with that said, I've had my practices cancelled through the end of the month, but have not heard anything on our tournaments (mid-late April through May) being cancelled yet. I'm sure they will be, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

Guess this could be an important time...teams that have made a lot of early inroads and relationships should be in a good place with many of these kids I think. Be interesting to see if the ol bluebloods that like to wait and see and then offer 5*s at the end will still be able to identify the top recruits and/or have enough time to meet with them and swoop in and get them.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Guess this could be an important time...teams that have made a lot of early inroads and relationships should be in a good place with many of these kids I think. Be interesting to see if the ol bluebloods that like to wait and see and then offer 5*s at the end will still be able to identify the top recruits and/or have enough time to meet with them and swoop in and get them.

I think it will depend on if they can push it back any. Maybe shorten it and make it all open to college coaches 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I coach my son's 11U AAU team, so definitely not your major high school AAU team going to Peach Jam or anything. Our stuff is all fairly local, and like I said we're at the early/younger stages of AAU. But with that said, I've had my practices cancelled through the end of the month, but have not heard anything on our tournaments (mid-late April through May) being cancelled yet. I'm sure they will be, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

like BGleas i don't coach high level, but 14U.  i am also really close with the owner of our rather large organization.  of course they don't know anything more than we all know, so it's a wait and see.  their stance is that our teams will get to play in the amount of tourneys we have already paid for and signed up for, but the question is when?  will the season go into August?  the concern obviously is for the high school aged kids and the live periods and also the periods they will be playing with their school teams.  all unknowns obviously right now.  

Archived