Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
thirdgenhoosier

QB recruiting

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

We currently have 3 guys for next year...Ramsey, Tronti, and Taylor.  Is there anyone else we are looking at to bring in next year?

What about in the next class?

One guy we are recruiting pretty hard is Terry Wilson, JUCO QB, his HC there thinks he will be one of the best QB's in College Football. 

Others on him are Kentucky, and Baylor.

https://247sports.com/player/terry-wilson-57500

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we can bring that JUCO QB in.  His passing stats aren't terribly impressive, but the short clip I saw, he made some really nice passes.  Looks like a pretty good runner too.  I believe he'd only be a RS Sophomore next year too which would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

We currently have 3 guys for next year...Ramsey, Tronti, and Taylor.  Is there anyone else we are looking at to bring in next year?

What about in the next class?

We are also in on a kid by the name of Devin Black, a three star QB from Florida

https://247sports.com/player/devin-black-85266

Edited by HoosierKix
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully we can bring that JUCO QB in.  His passing stats aren't terribly impressive, but the short clip I saw, he made some really nice passes.  Looks like a pretty good runner too.  I believe he'd only be a RS Sophomore next year too which would be nice.

He committed to Nebraska in high school, recanted and signed with Oregon so he was obviously highly touted coming out of high school but we've seen this before with guys like Jayme Thompson and Marqui Hawkins who never panned out. Either way I'd love to have him if for nothing else, some experienced depth at QB in case Ramsey can't develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and at 5'10, 155lbs is Reece Taylor really a viable option at QB? I can't imagine a kid 3 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Zander Diamont having success at the QB position in the BigTen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

...and at 5'10, 155lbs is Reece Taylor really a viable option at QB? I can't imagine a kid 3 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Zander Diamont having success at the QB position in the BigTen

I believe he was recruited as something other than a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I believe he was recruited as something other than a QB.

I could be wrong, but i feel like I remember Allen saying something not too long ago that they would at least look at him for QB, but either way he has elite athleticism to play many spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoosierKix said:

I could be wrong, but i feel like I remember Allen saying something not too long ago that they would at least look at him for QB, but either way he has elite athleticism to play many spots.

Neddenriep at least thinks he will be a DB or receiver.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/08/02/iu-gets-commitment-ben-davis-qb-reese-taylor/532626001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

I could be wrong, but i feel like I remember Allen saying something not too long ago that they would at least look at him for QB, but either way he has elite athleticism to play many spots.

I thought I remember reading that too but can he even comment? Signing day is in February 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm almost positive Allen and Debord said previously in an article on Peegs that Taylor would be a QB as of now for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the uncertainty around the position for next year, I don't see why we wouldn't at least give him some reps. You can't teach his level of athleticism.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were saying on the radio that he was going to be a quarterback.  I say why not let him try.  The best quarterback that has played at IU, Antwaan Randle El, was undersized as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, KDB said:

I'm almost positive Allen and Debord said previously in an article on Peegs that Taylor would be a QB as of now for us.

I doubt that sense the coach can't comment on a recruit until they are signed.  I think an article mentioned that Taylor has been told that he will be given a chance at QB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt that sense the coach can't comment on a recruit until they are signed.  I think an article mentioned that Taylor has been told that he will be given a chance at QB

There was an article on Peegs about it, Reese said that Coach Allen told him on the phone, "I see what you're doing on Friday nights and I think we want you doing that on Saturday's."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KDB said:

There was an article on Peegs about it, Reese said that Coach Allen told him on the phone, "I see what you're doing on Friday nights and I think we want you doing that on Saturday's."

Like I said that was a comment from Taylor and not he coach who said that to Peegs.  The coach can not comment publicly to any media about a recruit until they sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said that was a comment from Taylor and not he coach who said that to Peegs.  The coach can not comment publicly to any media about a recruit until they sign.

I am aware of what you said, and I am aware of the rule. Just hadn't read article in a month or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 12:31 PM, hoopsta007 said:

They were saying on the radio that he was going to be a quarterback.  I say why not let him try.  The best quarterback that has played at IU, Antwaan Randle El, was undersized as well.

Randle El wouldn't even be in my top 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not Rico...but  But, Trent Green and Dave Schnell.  Probably Babe Laufenberg.  I wonder if some might argue Tim Clifford and the QB from the Rose Bowl team...name escapes me.  I wouldn't put Clifford in front of ARE though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note, Michigan QB La'Darius Jefferson just said that he'll be committing on Christmas.  It kinda looks like it is IU or MSU.  I'm going to guess MSU, but anyone with any idea which way the winds are blowing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rico said:

Randle El wouldn't even be in my top 5.

He may not have been the best NFL prospect at QB of all time at IU but he is by far the best/most productive QB ever to play at IU in the last 30 years. Anyone before that is before my time and I wont speak to it but that guy put up insane numbers surrounded by glorified mid level MAC talent. 

If Reese can play to that level then have at it but I’ll believe it when I see it. Randel El was a once in a lifetime player for his size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I'm not Rico...but  But, Trent Green and Dave Schnell.  Probably Babe Laufenberg.  I wonder if some might argue Tim Clifford and the QB from the Rose Bowl team...name escapes me.  I wouldn't put Clifford in front of ARE though.

Trent Green was terrible at IU despite playing for a winning team. Guy threw more INTs than TD’s. No starting QB does that. Schnell was barely better but still a walking turnover. Neither could do anything on their own in the run game. What’s the arguement for those two over ARE besides W/L record?

Edited by Hoosier82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent Green was just a touch before my time but just from my experience ARE was the most electrifying player I’ve ever seen. Maybe this doesn’t add to his all time greatness at the QB spot but when have you seen a quarterback return kicks, play receiver, and be the 1st string punter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×