Forgotten days in history.

rico

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The whole Korean War

I remember my grandpa saying that we sent young WW2 experienced NCO'S to Korea and lost a lot of them. So when Vietnam came, rather than being trained by experienced NCO's, the guys going to Vietnam had to learn on the job. Not good. 

Had 2 grandpas serve in Korea, 1 Navy, 1 US Army. 

I had 2 as well. I didnt fully grasp why my 1 grandpa was so mad that while in college I bought a Kia. I just thought it was because he worked at GM in I think Cheviot Ohio for nearly 40 years. Until I started teaching US history I did not know much about the Korean War

On 4/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I remember my grandpa saying that we sent young WW2 experienced NCO'S to Korea and lost a lot of them. So when Vietnam came, rather than being trained by experienced NCO's, the guys going to Vietnam had to learn on the job. Not good. 

Had 2 grandpas serve in Korea, 1 Navy, 1 US Army. 

Well.  During the Vietnam War, and after graduating from Indiana University,  I spent months and months at three different Army Bases.  Training.  Always training.  Before becoming a second lieutenant in the 4th Infantry Division.  Go Ivy ! However, I do agree. With all that training.... there was nothing like being "in the field".

On 4/30/2020 at 6:51 PM, Billingsley99 said:

I would wager that outside of the fans of Mash most people would not know war was taking place. I bet most would say Vietnam 

You got me to thinking about that and I applied it to myself.  My father grew up during the Korean War so I learned what I know from him.  But I must admit that thinking about my HS U.S history class I remember talking about the "Teapot Dome Scandal" but not learning anything about the Spanish-American War or WWI.  We never got to WWII, Korea, or Nam.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

You got me to thinking about that and I applied it to myself.  My father grew up during the Korean War so I learned what I know from him.  But I must admit that thinking about my HS U.S history class I remember talking about the "Teapot Dome Scandal" but not learning anything about the Spanish-American War or WWI.  We never got to WWII, Korea, or Nam.

Same. Everything I learned about WWII and beyond was on my own or in college.  When I taught US History I made sure that we made it into the 2000's. 

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well.  During the Vietnam War, and after graduating from Indiana University,  I spent months and months at three different Army Bases.  Training.  Always training.  Before becoming a second lieutenant in the 4th Infantry Division.  Go Ivy ! However, I do agree. With all that training.... there was nothing like being "in the field".

After Korea my army grandpa spent time as an instructor at Ft. Benning. His mos was radio telephone repairman.  Think he spent some time as a DI too.  Then went to Vietnam in 1963 as a MAAG advisor attached to the 7th ARVN division around Saigon(now Ho Chi Minh City) best I can tell. Have some pictures of him in Saigon and Bien Hoa.

I applied for his service records a few years ago but they seem to be incomplete.  He was born in Missouri and the building where records were kept for those born west of the Mississippi caught fire in the 70's and alot of records were lost. 

Never knew my navy grandpa. He died as the result of a dirt bike accident in 1975. 

My army grandpa is actually my step grandpa but the only one I ever knew. Pretty much adopted me as his own. 

47 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

After Korea my army grandpa spent time as an instructor at Ft. Benning. His mos was radio telephone repairman.  Think he spent some time as a DI too.  Then went to Vietnam in 1964 as a MAAG advisor attached to the 7th ARVN division around Saigon(now Ho Chi Minh City) best I can tell. Have some pictures of him in Saigon and Bien Hoa.

I applied for his service records a few years ago but they seem to be incomplete.  He was born in Missouri and the building where records were kept for those born west of the Mississippi caught fire in the 70's and alot of records were lost. 

Never knew my navy grandpa. He died as the result of a dirt bike accident in 1975. 

My army grandpa is actually my step grandpa but the only one I ever knew. Pretty much adopted me as his own. 

Fort Benning was where I got my Infantry OCS training.  My company had a 21 year old first  lieutenant as company commander.  Who got his first commisson  on the field while serving in Viet Nam.  Volunteered after high school. And was promoted to Captain, during my time in his company at Fort Benning.  Tough guy.  But fair.  While the other company commanders allowed their troops rides to training exercises all over Fort Benning. My company commander insisted we hike.  Often times with full battle gear. And if it meant we had to get up in the middle of the night..... so be it.  I respected the hell out of Captain Bybee.

One more thing about Captain Bybee.  Word had gotten out that he was a really good at pushups.  And we had one guy in my company who played college football... who constantly would challenge Captain Bybee to a pushup contest.  Captain Bybee kept saying no to the challenges.  Until one day, when Captain Bybee accepted the challenge.

The whole company gathered around.  And saw Captain Bybee destroy the football player.  By doing one armed pushups.  More than two, to every one of the football player. I could not have done what the football player did.  However, to this day, what Captain Bybee did that day was one of the most amazing feats I have ever seen.

God Bless your grandparents for their service to our country.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, Billingsley99 said:

I had 2 as well. I didnt fully grasp why my 1 grandpa was so mad that while in college I bought a Kia. I just thought it was because he worked at GM in I think Cheviot Ohio for nearly 40 years. Until I started teaching US history I did not know much about the Korean War

I bet he worked in the GM plant in Norwood, Ohio.  Maybe he lived in Cheviot.  The only GM plant in Cincy that I know of was located in Norwood.  There was a Fisher Body plant out near Hamilton also.  But I could be wrong.  😊

Not necessarily  a forgotten day in history.  However, Veteran's Day, November 11, was originally known as Armistice Day.  And when it was known as Armistice Day.... I was in high school.  Unique thing.   Walking home from lunch at 11 a.m. Cars would pull up to the curb at 11.... and people would get out of their cars, stand quietly, in observance of the day.

Armistice Day 

On 5/2/2020 at 4:13 PM, jv1972iu said:

I bet he worked in the GM plant in Norwood, Ohio.  Maybe he lived in Cheviot.  The only GM plant in Cincy that I know of was located in Norwood.  There was a Fisher Body plant out near Hamilton also.  But I could be wrong.  😊

That is it. I remember riding with him on the Norwood lateral when I was little 

Archived