Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

Figured I'd start a thread for this topic. 

What type of gardener are you? 

Do you have the best looking lawn on the block? 

What are your projects for this year? 

My wife loves her flowers. I take care of the grass and the manual labor (digging, mulching) for her projects. She will prune and I use the chainsaw. 

I love relaxing on the tractor with a beer. 

We moved to a new house last year so there was a lot to do. Planted 3 trees, put in two beds for bushes/flowers and built a firepit. This year's spring project is to completely redo the front landscaping on 1 side of the front of the house. 

Personally, I prefer Menards for all my supplies but do shop Home Depot, Lowe's and Stock and Field. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for starting this. My family has long been in the gardening world. With that said....their skill and ability didn't get handed down. I'm looking to start with the basics here in a couple weeks....tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio. Plenty of sunlight. 

I did a fair amount of research this morning but would like any tricks of the trade as well as just basic information....as in what size of pot and is it only tomato plant per pot? Same goes for peppers? 

Some of these pots are huge and I thought I could maybe get 2-3 plants in 1 but maybe it doesn't work that way. Any type of potting soil better than others and when I do get tomato/pepper plants....is it as simple as filling up the pots with potting soil. Setting the plant in and let Mother Nature run it's course? 

Have to hit the Monon Trail for my daily sanity walk during housebound time but will be active on this thread in a few hours. Again appreciate you starting.

I live on top of one of the southernmost ripples left behind by the glaciers. It is pretty much a 400' mound of rocks with a little bit of dirt on top. I have three sink holes in my yard, the biggest being about 8' across and about 3' deep at the deepest point. When I mow I have a self sharpening blade because of all the rocks in my yard. And yet because of the local in the woods with several islands of trees in the yard, when I get done it's probably the best looking yard I ever had. Still have to figure out how to control the sink holes though! Not a green thumb in spite of my grandfather being dean of botany at Wisky.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for starting this. My family has long been in the gardening world. With that said....their skill and ability didn't get handed down. I'm looking to start with the basics here in a couple weeks....tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio. Plenty of sunlight. 

I did a fair amount of research this morning but would like any tricks of the trade as well as just basic information....as in what size of pot and is it only tomato plant per pot? Same goes for peppers? 

Some of these pots are huge and I thought I could maybe get 2-3 plants in 1 but maybe it doesn't work that way. Any type of potting soil better than others and when I do get tomato/pepper plants....is it as simple as filling up the pots with potting soil. Setting the plant in and let Mother Nature run it's course? 

Have to hit the Monon Trail for my daily sanity walk during housebound time but will be active on this thread in a few hours. Again appreciate you starting.

First of all, thank you to @Reacher for starting this thread.

As far as peppers and tomatoes in containers, in my experience they do really well. We have a pretty large south-facing fourth floor terrace and I grow tomatoes and peppers, with tons of herbs and flowers. The one thing to keep in mind with growing tomatoes in containers is they need a LOT more water than tomatoes growing in the ground. During the height of summer, if it wasn't raining I would water each tomato plant every morning. You can stick your finger in the soil and see if it's dry, but they almost are always ready for more water each morning.

For peppers, I put 2-3 in a big pot. Tomatoes start out small, but I would advise only one plant per pot - even if it's a large container. They get huge! Also, put up tomato cages when you plant, rather than trying to do it when they start to need it.

We harvested tons of tomatoes and peppers form containers last year. I was giving them away to neighbors and bringing sacks full into work.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

First of all, thank you to @Reacher for starting this thread.

As far as peppers and tomatoes in containers, in my experience they do really well. We have a pretty large south-facing fourth floor terrace and I grow tomatoes and peppers, with tons of herbs and flowers. The one thing to keep in mind with growing tomatoes in containers is they need a LOT more water than tomatoes growing in the ground. During the height of summer, if it wasn't raining I would water each tomato plant every morning. You can stick your finger in the soil and see if it's dry, but they almost are always ready for more water each morning.

For peppers, I put 2-3 in a big pot. Tomatoes start out small, but I would advise only one plant per pot - even if it's a large container. They get huge! Also, put up tomato cages when you plant, rather than trying to do it when they start to need it.

We harvested tons of tomatoes and peppers form containers last year. I was giving them away to neighbors and bringing sacks full into work.

Awesome. Thanks for info...especially for how many per pot. I eat a ton of different types of peppers and was trying (frugal side of me) to figure out if could 2-3 in one pot. Regarding tomatoes...I keep seeing 5 gallon pots. Will that work? Or next size up? I know they get big was trying to see if I could squeeze 2 in but everything I'm reading and what you say is stick to 1.

Curious about radishes too. Same thing?

Avid gardener here.

Let me start out by saying I am looking forward to my new toy...a 4-cycle Mantis tiller.  And I still got my 2-cycle one as well.  His and hers tillers.

I pretty much just grow the usual.  Tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, green beans, peas, onions, and cucumbers.  Early I will put out radishes and kohl-rabi(sp?).  Sweet corn grows great here but I can't keep the 'coons out of it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome. Thanks for info...especially for how many per pot. I eat a ton of different types of peppers and was trying (frugal side of me) to figure out if could 2-3 in one pot. Regarding tomatoes...I keep seeing 5 gallon pots. Will that work? Or next size up? I know they get big was trying to see if I could squeeze 2 in but everything I'm reading and what you say is stick to 1.

Curious about radishes too. Same thing?

Are you planning on keeping it in the pot for the duration or moving it to the ground at some point?

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Pots only this year. 

Gotcha.  I would plant a few seeds in each pot, and once they are about 2-3 inches tall, leave the best looking one and cut/pull out the other ones.  One per pot is good for tomatoes and peppers.  I haven't done them like that, so I'm no help for pot size.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Saw this( something similar to it) demonstrated the other day on TV..

https://www.newsprepper.com/grow-tomatoes-straw-bales-2-easy-cheap-creative-diy-project/

Now that looks like some advanced horticultural phenom type of deal. I'm just praying I can actually go to Walmart....buy some pots, potting soil....and already started tomato plants and throw them in the dirt and pray by the 4th I have something. Haha.

• Haha 1

I'm a big fan of gardening.  Actually ordered a bunch of seeds this morning, and probably going to start planting inside next week.  I have a couple grow lights set up in my basement.  At least I live in Illinois, so that isn't as suspicious anymore!

I start in the little 1 inch pots that have 6 of them together.  Get a handful of them in a large tray, so I can start 30-40 different seeds at a time.  What I do is plant 3 seeds per cell, so about 100 seeds total.  All kinds of different things.  4-5 kinds of tomatoes, a few different peppers, red cabbage, sauerkraut cabbage, broccoli, some herbs for early cuttings, and a few more things.  If it is a seed that I need a lot of, when the plants are about 2 inches tall, I separate them into 4 inch pots.  If I only need 1 or 2, I get rid of the worst looking ones.  I give some plants to family and friends too, so I end up not throwing away many of the shoots.

I set a fan up that blows on them at low speed to help give them stronger stems.  A couple weeks before I'm planning on planting them outside, I start setting them outside.  I grow them by my egress window in my basement, so it is easy to take them in and out each day.  First for a couple hours, then for the whole day.

I have a handful of things I only plant outside.  Most herbs, lettuce, kale, peas, beans.

There is definitely something fulfilling about growing plants from seeds and eating the final product.  Looking forward to getting my garden going again this year!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm a big fan of gardening.  Actually ordered a bunch of seeds this morning, and probably going to start planting inside next week.  I have a couple grow lights set up in my basement.  At least I live in Illinois, so that isn't as suspicious anymore!

I start in the little 1 inch pots that have 6 of them together.  Get a handful of them in a large tray, so I can start 30-40 different seeds at a time.  What I do is plant 3 seeds per cell, so about 100 seeds total.  All kinds of different things.  4-5 kinds of tomatoes, a few different peppers, red cabbage, sauerkraut cabbage, broccoli, some herbs for early cuttings, and a few more things.  If it is a seed that I need a lot of, when the plants are about 2 inches tall, I separate them into 4 inch pots.  If I only need 1 or 2, I get rid of the worst looking ones.  I give some plants to family and friends too, so I end up not throwing away many of the shoots.

I set a fan up that blows on them at low speed to help give them stronger stems.  A couple weeks before I'm planning on planting them outside, I start setting them outside.  I grow them by my egress window in my basement, so it is easy to take them in and out each day.  First for a couple hours, then for the whole day.

I have a handful of things I only plant outside.  Most herbs, lettuce, kale, peas, beans.

There is definitely something fulfilling about growing plants from seeds and eating the final product.  Looking forward to getting my garden going again this year!

Few of my family does that as well. Grow inside and transfer. Your last sentence is what I'm looking for right now. Plant it, nurture it, grow it....and enjoy this summer. I've been in or around gardens all my life.....but never have tried the pots deal. Thought I would give it a go. The weather around here (Indy) has been it's usual hot/cold self. I think this weekend should be the last of the cold temps but I guess you never know. When would you guys suggest feeling comfortable putting pots outside? Mid-April? Sooner?

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Few of my family does that as well. Grow inside and transfer. Your last sentence is what I'm looking for right now. Plant it, nurture it, grow it....and enjoy this summer. I've been in or around gardens all my life.....but never have tried the pots deal. Thought I would give it a go. The weather around here (Indy) has been it's usual hot/cold self. I think this weekend should be the last of the cold temps but I guess you never know. When would you guys suggest feeling comfortable putting pots outside? Mid-April? Sooner?

I usually plant mine outside in early-mid May.  By then, they're usually 8-10 inches tall.  They say a couple weeks after the last frost for planting outside, and for Indy, it shows the last frost is on average around April 25th.

If you're planting just seeds outside, I'm not sure for that.  It has to be pretty warm for them to germinate.  Roughly 70-80 degrees is optimal.  If it is too cold, they won't germinate.  I've seen things online for making mini greenhouses out of things like milk jugs to help keep the seeds warmer.  That should help you get them planted earlier.

I would guess by mid to late April you could probably get them going.  Worst case, plant them early, give them about 10 days, and if you don't have any growth you know it was too early.  Then just try it again with new seeds.  If you're looking to have tomatoes by the 4th of July, planning on a mid April plant date, you probably want a fairly quick maturing tomato.  Something under 70 days, and you'll be close to having them by the 4th.  Something like a Brandywine probably wouldn't be ready by then.  A lot of it depends on the weather.  A 70 day maturity time would be under optimal conditions, and usually in warmer climates than where we are.  If it is a cool spring/summer, it will be cutting it close.  If it is a warm spring/summer, it will mature quicker, and you should be able to get some by the 4th.

A ton of different varieties out there based on size of the tomato, maturity, flavor, color, etc.  Do you know what kind you're looking to plant?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

A ton of different varieties out there based on size of the tomato, maturity, flavor, color, etc.  Do you know what kind you're looking to plant?

I'm open...still in the initial stages of trying to figure which kind are best. All at once or otherwise. Thanks for all the input...very much appreciated!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm open...still in the initial stages of trying to figure which kind are best. All at once or otherwise. Thanks for all the input...very much appreciated!

I like Brandywine's for the best flavor, but they're pretty low yield, and temperamental.  In a bad year, they can produce almost no fruit, but in a good year you can get more than you can eat.  There are other kinds that start early and produce for quite a while.

One thing I found when I started planting from seed is that there are seemingly hundreds of options for everything.  When you go to a greenhouse, they might have 10-20 different tomatoes, but that is only a fraction of what is actually out there.  Same thing for about anything you can grow.

You mentioned radishes earlier, and this site has 23 different options for radishes, and 136 for tomatoes.  It can be overwhelming, but I think picking out and trying different things is part of the fun.

• Like 1

I do early cooler weather stuff like lettuce, spinach, radishes. Then rotate in peppers(green & red bell,jalapenos, habaneros), tomatoes, ect.  I usually do a couple cherry tomato plants, beefsteak, and a heirloom or 2. Not enough room for corn. And some random whatever I feel like this year stuff like squash, eggplant.

Dont spend to much time on the yard other than mowing. Usually plant some flowers but that's about it. 

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I've had really good luck with beefsteak.  Versatile and delicious.

When the weather gets hot water in early morning, or around sunset. 

And protect tomatoes against blight and watch out for bacterial wilt. 

When planting a tomato plant, make sure to bury it deep. First 1-2 stems under dirt.  As for the pot, I have seen people do well with 5 gallon home depot buckets.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

Looks like the virus may be having an effect? Since I'm supposed to stay home, I did some work yesterday in my yard. I am re-doing my neglected front yard landscaping. Started on the lawn equipment getting the mower and string trimmer ready. I use a lawn service to treat my yard and with all of the rain we've had so far, my grass is looking like it needs a good mowing. Then I dug up 4 bushes, 1 I had to use an axe to chop through the roots! Man am I feeling it today! Still have some smaller bushes to get and I'm hoping the roots will be shallower.

• Like 4

My wife loves to landscape. She has done the front yard, both sides yards and has a great start on the back yard. We have almost 400 small rocks in her landscaping plan and countless yards of mulch. Nothing makes my day more than for her to be out doing the landscaping while I am watching her in the air conditioned house. The good news for  me is that she doesn't mind. Susan is one tough, hard working, strong willed woman. The only thing she wants me to do when it comes to landscaping is pick up truck loads of mulch and haul her landscaping boulders/rocks. 

She is 24 years younger than me and I have no idea what the heck she sees in me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1