Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

My wife loves to landscape. She has done the front yard, both sides yards and has a great start on the back yard. We have almost 400 small rocks in her landscaping plan and countless yards of mulch. Nothing makes my day more than for her to be out doing the landscaping while I am watching her in the air conditioned house. The good news for  me is that she doesn't mind. Susan is one tough, hard working, strong willed woman. The only thing she wants me to do when it comes to landscaping is pick up truck loads of mulch and haul her landscaping boulders/rocks. 

She is 24 years younger than me and I have no idea what the heck she sees in me. 

Such great timing. My current wife and I just finished a conversation about me having a wife that was 24 years younger than I am.

• Like 1

Our perennials are really starting to fill out a bit and I have a big order in shipping cart for White Flower Farm for annuals. Not sure about our local gardening center being open, so am going to place this big order for delivery. I can get common annuals from Home Depot or Lowes.

Need to figure out my tomato situation for this year. Last year I planted Giant Syrian heirloom slicers (my wife said they were the best tomatoes she's ever had) and Matt's Wild Cherry cherry tomatoes.

Think this year, I'll do Super Sweet 100s for cherry tomatoes and some kind of Brandywine hybrid for larger tomatoes. Am pretty picky about slicing tomatoes and bummed I can't find Giant Syrians at my usual places.

Okay, ordered my tomato plants today - Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes and Madame Marmande slicers. Haven't tried the latter, but I couldn't find my normal Giant Syrian slicing tomatoes. Really looking forward to planting and watching everything grow this year. Seems like it will be extra important this year to be able to get outside and enjoy some plant life. I still need to order pepper plants.

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Okay, ordered my tomato plants today - Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes and Madame Marmande slicers. Haven't tried the latter, but I couldn't find my normal Giant Syrian slicing tomatoes. Really looking forward to planting and watching everything grow this year. Seems like it will be extra important this year to be able to get outside and enjoy some plant life. I still need to order pepper plants.

https://www.thechilewoman.com/

Since I doubt Bloomington farmers market will be opening anytime soon I will have to order my peppers too.  Usually get some from the lady in the link. Thought it might interest you. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

https://www.thechilewoman.com/

Since I doubt Bloomington farmers market will be opening anytime soon I will have to order my peppers too.  Usually get some from the lady in the link. Thought it might interest you. 

Woah, her site is impressive! Not just peppers , but an amazing selection of tomatoes. Thanks for sharing this. And yeah, probably won't be a good year for farmers markets this year.

9 minutes ago, DWB said:

You guys are into much more labor intensive stuff than I am. My "gardening" entails taking care of 10 acres of grass. Damn near a full time job, but most of it is tractor time. Mowed 6 acres of it today, matter of fact.

Rushton House.JPG

You would laugh at my my Brooklyn terrace - 5 feet wide and 40 feet long. That's it. That's my outdoor space. Looking at all of your green space makes me so envious.

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

You would laugh at my my Brooklyn terrace - 5 feet wide and 40 feet long. That's it. That's my outdoor space. Looking at all of your green space makes me so envious.

Well...once you get your 55 years of work in, you can retire to a place like this. And then 2nd guess yourself as to "why the hell did I do this ?!!" Actually I love it. Grew up on a 10 acre hobby farm. Mom had a 1 acre garden. I don't EVER want to pick green beans again !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Well...once you get your 55 years of work in, you can retire to a place like this. And then 2nd guess yourself as to "why the hell did I do this ?!!" Actually I love it. Grew up on a 10 acre hobby farm. Mom had a 1 acre garden. I don't EVER want to pick green beans again !!

Oh my god, my grandparents used to make me pick green beans EVERY summer. Wasn't allowed to sit inside and watch TV. Had to be out picking green beans, and then snapping them, and then helping with canning. Maybe that's why I only grow fun stuff like tomatoes, peppers, and flowers.

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Did you ever have to husk corn, boil it, cut it off the cob, and store in gallon bags?  Hard to pick which is worse. That or picking green beans. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Did you ever have to husk corn, boil it, cut it off the cob, and store in gallon bags?  Hard to pick which is worse. That or picking green beans. 

Didn't have to that, but detassled corn every summer. Didn't we all have to do that in IN? I thought that was a requirement.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Lol, that and I also did some work on a couple friends dad's watermelon farms turning vines and picking melons.  Hard work. 

Picking melons was kind of awesome though for us. We got paid cash daily for showing up before dawn and working our asses off all day in the sun. Was hard, but good times in hindsight.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

I use to spend 2 1/2 hours mowing my lawn...then I met Tammy.  She mows...I supervise.

You know what's funny? The wife and I have been married, soon to be 45 years. And she has never, ever started the mower.

Our agreement is she takes care of the inside and I take care of the outside. Seems to work pretty well.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

You know what's funny? The wife and I have been married, soon to be 45 years. And she has never, ever started the mower.

Our agreement is she takes care of the inside and I take care of the outside. Seems to work pretty well.....

Well honestly, I have never been with a woman that mowed the yard let alone enjoyed doing it.  So I ain't going to complain about getting more time to drop a hook in the water.

Our first 5 years here, I did all 3 acres myself. All cleared, lots of 3 board fencing. Bought a JD D140 (nice lawn tractor, but should have bought a zero turn).

Every Saturday from about 8 am to 5 pm if I did it "right" (mow, trim, edge, blower). 

I finally hired it out 2 years ago. Going rate is $80 an acre here. Main yard (about 1 acre) I have them do every week. Whole shootin match every 2 weeks.

I enjoy my Saturdays much more...

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our first 5 years here, I did all 3 acres myself. All cleared, lots of 3 board fencing. Bought a JD D140 (nice lawn tractor, but should have bought a zero turn).

Every Saturday from about 8 am to 5 pm if I did it "right" (mow, trim, edge, blower). 

I finally hired it out 2 years ago. Going rate is $80 an acre here. Main yard (about 1 acre) I have them do every week. Whole shootin match every 2 weeks.

I enjoy my Saturdays much more...

Zero turns are awesome. I went with the traditional tractor - JD E130 for my half acre so I can use attachments. Need the dump cart for landscaping. Works out OK since I don't have many obstacles to mow around. Usually spend an hour but can get a quick mow done in half that time.  The house my wife wanted had 3 acres with a fence but only a 2 car garage. So glad it didn't work out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Zero turns are awesome. I went with the traditional tractor - JD E130 for my half acre so I can use attachments. Need the dump cart for landscaping. Works out OK since I don't have many obstacles to mow around. Usually spend an hour but can get a quick mow done in half that time.  The house my wife wanted had 3 acres with a fence but only a 2 car garage. So glad it didn't work out. 

The trimming along the fencing is what took a lot of time. I bought a nice Stihl (my preferred brand for all gas powered implements...have a chain saw and blower too...all are 5 years old and pretty much start on the first pull) weed eater, but still took me a lot of time. Weeds down here are tough too. I eventually bought a steel Gator head for the trimmer to get through them, but you can't use it around anything you don't want scarred up. I still do a little gardening, like taking care of a couple of blue java banana trees and a small flower garden, but that's about it.

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The trimming along the fencing is what took a lot of time. I bought a nice Stihl (my preferred brand for all gas powered implements...have a chain saw and blower too...all are 5 years old and pretty much start on the first pull) weed eater, but still took me a lot of time. Weeds down here are tough too. I eventually bought a steel Gator head for the trimmer to get through them, but you can't use it around anything you don't want scarred up. I still do a little gardening, like taking care of a couple of blue java banana trees and a small flower garden, but that's about it.

Piss on that trimming...chemicals are a lot easier and less time consuming.

• Like 1