Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

Growing up, mowed 1 1/2 acres on a Forrest Gump snapper rider for years. Then came the zero turn grasshopper. Loved that thing. Also had a little mowing business through jr high/high school. All cash, the only high school kid I knew that had walkin around money in my pocket. 

As an adult, I like my 1/3 acre, takes no time to mow  If I want some space to run around I go to the park or the state forest or patoka lake.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 2:46 PM, Leathernecks said:

Got my seeds going last night.  Probably planted too many, but oh well!  4 kinds of tomatoes, 4 kinds of peppers, 2 zucchini, cucumber, cabbage, red cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, fennel, half a dozen herbs.  I think some other things too.  Now the hard part of waiting for them to start coming up.

I'm going tomorrow or Sunday to get my supplies. Just to make sure....1 tomato plant w/ cage in each pot...but I could probably get away with a few pepper plants in similar size pot? Fill potting soil to almost top but leave enough room so soil isn't so compact?

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm going tomorrow or Sunday to get my supplies. Just to make sure....1 tomato plant w/ cage in each pot...but I could probably get away with a few pepper plants in similar size pot? Fill potting soil to almost top but leave enough room so soil isn't so compact?

Last year, I doubled up my pepper plants in a pretty large pot - think 12" to 15" pot and they still did very well. Definitely one tomato plant/cage per pot though. And you might think you can just put the cage in later when you need it, but it's best to put the cage on when you do the transplant to the pot. It's really hard to wrangle a big plant that suddenly needs to be caged. I learned that the hard way! Don't be dumb like me. 😛

I always leave an inch or two at the top of the pot when filling with soil. When you do your daily watering in the height of the summer, you don't want the soil overflowing.

I just went to Lowes early this morning to get five big bags of potting soil - am ready for planting once all my stuff arrives! I did get an order of three hollyhock plants and a couple dahlia plants this week. Will transplant them tomorrow. I've got a ton of stuff coming next week and really looking forward to every thing going in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Last year, I doubled up my pepper plants in a pretty large pot - think 12" to 15" pot and they still did very well. Definitely one tomato plant/cage per pot though. And you might think you can just put the cage in later when you need it, but it's best to put the cage on when you do the transplant to the pot. It's really hard to wrangle a big plant that suddenly needs to be caged. I learned that the hard way! Don't be dumb like me. 😛

I always leave an inch or two at the top of the pot when filling with soil. When you do your daily watering in the height of the summer, you don't want the soil overflowing.

I just went to Lowes early this morning to get five big bags of potting soil - am ready for planting once all my stuff arrives! I did get an order of three hollyhock plants and a couple dahlia plants this week. Will transplant them tomorrow. I've got a ton of stuff coming next week and really looking forward to every thing going in.

One other question if you don't mind me asking. Better half wants to try basil, mint, oregano, thyme,etc....besides smaller pots same deal? 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

One other question if you don't mind me asking. Better half wants to try basil, mint, oregano, thyme,etc....besides smaller pots same deal? 

Those will all do really well in smaller pots. I've always kept them one per pot, but they can be small. Rosemary btw does REALLY well and survives the winter. Basil and sage do pretty well too, but they don't seem to make it to the next year. I will add that it's incredibly satisfying to have all those fresh herbs standing by when my wife needs them for cooking. She gives me total latitude over everything else as far as planting if I can keep her supplied with fresh herbs for 9 months of the year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Those will all do really well in smaller pots. I've always kept them one per pot, but they can be small. Rosemary btw does REALLY well and survives the winter. Basil and sage do pretty well too, but they don't seem to make it to the next year. I will add that it's incredibly satisfying to have all those fresh herbs standing by when my wife needs them for cooking. She gives me total latitude over everything else as far as planting if I can keep her supplied with fresh herbs for 9 months of the year.

Thank you very much. Read so much online it's almost hard to decipher what's what. Appreciate it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I plant my herbs in the flower bed. Another option if you have the space is a galvanized water trough. Basil can get really big and bushy if you give it space. Most plants will only grow as big as the root system grows. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Thank you very much. Read so much online it's almost hard to decipher what's what. Appreciate it!

Yep, lots of conflicting info online and I had to learn with trial and error over a few years. Assuming your space gets lots of sun? Veggies and herbs like sun, the more the better.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep, lots of conflicting info online and I had to learn with trial and error over a few years. Assuming your space gets lots of sun? Veggies and herbs like sun, the more the better.

Yep. Plenty of sun when Mother Nature allows. I think that's what I have to get rid of is the fear of screwing up. Trial and error has to be part of the gardening business.

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Another thing with herbs,  when the weather heats up they will bolt and start to flower, especially basil. You'll need to trim the bolts off or your herbs will taste bitter. 

You say they will bolt. Haha...what is that? Is that trimming the dead edges or something in the base?

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! Didn't know how quickly some of these grew. Basil 14 days? Radishes/Onions 30 days?

Radishes blow up fast. We stagger our planting times for those so plant a couple feet of our row at a time 2-3 days apart. 

Basil grows so fast I've used a few leaves a couple days after transplanting before if the plant is big enough. 

Another thing that can help is getting a bag of composted manure and when planting fill in the hole with that then cover with topsoil or whatever your filling your pot with. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

This thread, and maybe isolation, has me back (kinda) in the gardening mood. 

A few years ago I did that straw bale gardening thing. It was phenomenal! I assumed that year two, with the same bales, further decomposition would happen and I would have even better results. 
The area I used was relatively shaded, but again year 1 was awesome. 7’ tall tomatoes, Okra pods as long as your forearm ( the ones I let go that long, worthless to eat). 
Yr 2, not as successful. Either the trees grew adding more shade or the 2nd yr bales lost their Mojo. One thing i noticed yr 2, the bales lost moisture nearly immediately. Lots of watering required, or so I thought.
So here I am, I’ve got 5 bags of that packaged straw bedding left over from a job I never got past buying supplies for. It’s straw wrapped in a plastic bag and sealed. 
I put them out tonight, cut slits in the bags and started pouring my high Urea mixture to get decomposition started. Placed them in more full ish, sun and will see what happens. 
8’ tomato’s with fruit as big as a bucket? Maybe I’ll paint a mater like a basketball.