Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

@Seeking6

Like others have said, you should be good planting quite a few herbs in the same large pot, or planting them all in separate pots.  If separate, I'd say 1 gallon pots would probably work well.  Big enough to let them grow well, small enough that they aren't huge.  You could go to a smaller pot if you want to save some space though.

For you, or others doing it, I like to plant my herbs both from small plants, and from seeds around the same time.  It helps give a lot longer growing season.  Some herbs like basil, which others have mentioned, don't last that long.  Cilantro is another one that bolts pretty quick.  If you have the plants so they are a few weeks apart in development, you can get a lot more use out of them.  Others last a long time though, so it kind of depends on what you are planting.

For the peppers, you could probably get by with more than 1 in a large pot.  They might not individually get as many peppers as if there was just 1, but combined you should get more.

When you do your tomatoes, make sure you bury the stem a little ways.  Roots will grow out of the buried stem and help support it.  I would go even further than 1 inch below the top of the container since you're a little worried about how well you'll grow things.  If the base of the tomato isn't that strong and is leaning, you can add a little more soil to help stabilize it.  1 inch is a good distance to shoot for stopping at.  You can always add soil, but it is tough to take it away.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In true Indy area weather....we are supposed to be in low to mid 70's this week but long term forecast is suggesting a big temp drop next Friday with lows near 36-38 range. Do I need to hold off on planting or just cover plants up when temps get that low?

My 2 cents, I’d wait. Air temp is one factor but so is ground temp. It seems like every time I’ve got rambucksious and planted early in the ground, my plants were stunted for a bit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

In true Indy area weather....we are supposed to be in low to mid 70's this week but long term forecast is suggesting a big temp drop next Friday with lows near 36-38 range. Do I need to hold off on planting or just cover plants up when temps get that low?

I'd probably wait, but since you're just doing pots (not doing pot!), you could always bring them inside and put them in a south facing window for a day or two if you really needed to.

Also, there are tons of ideas out there for keeping plants warm.  Can't think of any off the top of my head though.

• Like 1

JMO, I would hold off on anything that is not frost resistant.

• Like 1

Hey All,

I’m a newbie with landscaping and want to start doing a flower bed in our back yard. Nothing too crazy since I’m a beginner, and could use some tips/guidance.

- We are thinking about just doing rock instead of mulch, so how does that work for anyone here who does that? Just looking for some expertise because I’ve been reading and studying, but like firsthand advice as well. We will just be doing the black hard plastic edging, nothing raised, so how far down do I need to dig down to start the bed? 

- Living in the St. Louis area, we are in a hardiness zone of 6, and the partial landscape will be in full shade. Which flowers/shrubs have worked best for any of you in full shade? I’m considering building a wood garden feature like a wishing well or something in the mostly shaded area, but curious on what he’s worked best.

- Lastly, I’ve struggled to do flowers in pots. Yes I know, should be simple, but with my busy schedule I’m looking for advice so I can educate my wife to help me with this. What are good tips to keep flowers alive in pots? Normally we have purchased them in already blossomed. I’m worried the pot I’m using doesn’t drain well if it rains, but just unsure.

Thanks from a gardening/landscape newbie!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Hey All,

I’m a newbie with landscaping and want to start doing a flower bed in our back yard. Nothing too crazy since I’m a beginner, and could use some tips/guidance.

- We are thinking about just doing rock instead of mulch, so how does that work for anyone here who does that? Just looking for some expertise because I’ve been reading and studying, but like firsthand advice as well. We will just be doing the black hard plastic edging, nothing raised, so how far down do I need to dig down to start the bed? 

- Living in the St. Louis area, we are in a hardiness zone of 6, and the partial landscape will be in full shade. Which flowers/shrubs have worked best for any of you in full shade? I’m considering building a wood garden feature like a wishing well or something in the mostly shaded area, but curious on what he’s worked best.

- Lastly, I’ve struggled to do flowers in pots. Yes I know, should be simple, but with my busy schedule I’m looking for advice so I can educate my wife to help me with this. What are good tips to keep flowers alive in pots? Normally we have purchased them in already blossomed. I’m worried the pot I’m using doesn’t drain well if it rains, but just unsure.

I have never been a big fan of rocks instead of mulch. My grandma has areas of both, and I always hated pulling weeds and planting new plants in rocks.  Not nearly as bad as lava rocks though. I rented a place with that, and it was the worst.

I think mulch looks better and helps hold water and gives the soil nutrients, but it is definitely more work.  Rocks aren't that bad of an option if you don't want the extra work.

I know hostas are a really common shade plant around here (central Illinois).

I'm not good at keeping flowers in pots either, so no advice there!

• Thanks 1

Echoing @Leathernecks, I'm not a fan of the rocks either. My current house has them in the front. Only positive I can say is they are maintenance free.  Much prefer the mulch. Maybe that will change as I get older. 

My wife has a dozen or so planted pots. Even a rose bush. She overwinters them in the garage and come spring they are good to go!  Other than water and fertilizer, I'm not aware that she does much else to them. Be aware they will need watered daily in the summer which can be a bit of a pain.

If you get frost heaves, be aware that will mess up your plastic edging over time. I prefer a natural border or stone/ brick. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Thanks guys, @Leathernecks and @Reacher! Since you all prefer mulch, in the back we aren’t doing a wall, just the plastic edging. How far did you did down before filling it back in with potting soil, nutrient soil, etc? Did you put the flowers in and then started to fill it back up?

Just trying to learn from the pro’s ;) lol.

I'm definitely an amateur there!  I have really good soil, so I just plant stuff and watch it grow lol.

15 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

That must be nice, I’m typical Missouri red clay with little nutrients lol. Plus, the builder in our subdivision backfilled with what seems like 3/4 rock......

We're a big farming area, so we have pretty good soil most places around here.  My parents live about 3 miles away from me by a creek, and they have terrible clay, so I know how you feel!  When we were kids, we would play in our parent's lake and try to make pottery with the clay.  Let it harden and it would hold water the next day.

44 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

We had to down a wall/landscape rock in the front yard because it slopes along the house. My father-in-law is a former landscaper so he will be helping me with that, but my pride wants me to do the back without him lol.

I put a bed in my back yard last year. Didn't dig down, Just created a raised bed by adding dirt. If the is level where you want it, you can just dig an extra wide hole for everything you plant and add some garden soil. You can see how I just dug out the border. We were still adding plants when I took this pic so mulch wasn't added yet. Back bed has stone border from previous owner.

20190622_204003.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Hey All,

I spent all last year putting my aunt's yard back together after big storms hit Indy in May. She lost 3 huge trees and tons of damage. Anyway on the debate of rock vs mulch. She has both....rock as paths around her house but her back yard has several beds, areas,etc...with mulch that I put back in. If it were up to me...mulch all day. Rocks just become annoying.

Only thing I would suggest is a heavy dose of weed killer before putting down. 

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Only thing I would suggest is a heavy dose of weed killer before putting down. 

Never used chemicals for fear of harming new plants. Used some landscape fabric once at my parents house. If you go that route, spend the $ for the premium stuff. It will buy you more time before it desintigrates. 

Rock paths look nice and work best, IMO, if you don't have kids or pets that end up getting the rocks everywhere. Don't want to get hit by one flying out from a mower. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Rock paths look nice and work best, IMO, if you don't have kids or pets that end up getting the rocks everywhere. Don't want to get hit by one flying out from a mower. 

My buddy uses old bricks that he picks up from job sites.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:36 AM, rico said:

Well things didn't go as planned...got the garden tilled y-day.  Seeds will will go in this afternoon.

I'm holding off another week because of cold temps for lows coming in this weekend. I'll tell you what though. Having spent better part of last two days helping my aunt with raking, leaf removal, dead tree limbs,etc....after being inside for so long (minus my daily walks) there is so much joy, hard work, sweat, and pride in outdoor work. Tomorrow is edging and mulch day and honestly I can't wait for it. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm holding off another week because of cold temps for lows coming in this weekend. I'll tell you what though. Having spent better part of last two days helping my aunt with raking, leaf removal, dead tree limbs,etc....after being inside for so long (minus my daily walks) there is so much joy, hard work, sweat, and pride in outdoor work. Tomorrow is edging and mulch day and honestly I can't wait for it. 

I got onions, peas, and kohlrabi in yesterday evening.  Now I wait for warm weather.

• Like 2

Waiting one more week. Low temps this week in Hoosierville are close enough to make me hold off again. Long term forecast after this Thursday looks great well into next week so hopefully we'll be in the clear.

This weather sucks.  The GF was disappointed she didn't get her flower seeds in over the week-end due to the forecast.  

• Like 2