Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Trust me. You will not be unhappy. Great to have a variety.  Just keep a good eye on them. As peppers tend to progress at different rates. Just looking at them. You will know when they are ready to be picked.  Picked and enjoyed.

Do you just eat them straight off the plant?

I think I have jalapenos, red/green bell peppers, banana peppers, pepperoncini, and cayenne peppers.  Should be an interesting summer if I can ever get things planted.

I'm also getting a puppy Sunday, so my spring will have been much more relaxed than my summer!

35 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Do you just eat them straight off the plant?

I think I have jalapenos, red/green bell peppers, banana peppers, pepperoncini, and cayenne peppers.  Should be an interesting summer if I can ever get things planted.

I'm also getting a puppy Sunday, so my spring will have been much more relaxed than my summer!

Pick them.  You will know when they are ready to pick, just by looking at them.  Wash them off. And then enjoy.

I am happy for you getting  a new puppy. I think that is great.   Puppies are fun. But require a lot of work. That's why we adopt dogs who are older.  But it depends. If you have the patience and desire to bring a puppy along. it can be both fun and rewarding. 

Our first dog was a Cocker Spaniel.  Got her as a puppy.  When we were much younger.  She was wonderful.  The funny thing. She loved to steal underwear.  But knew she had done wrong. By going into a corner, after stealing the underwear.... and stay there and cry.  No way we could ever punish her, as we felt she had done that to herself.

59 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Pick them.  You will know when they are ready to pick, just by looking at them.  Wash them off. And then enjoy.

I am happy for you getting  a new puppy. I think that is great.   Puppies are fun. But require a lot of work. That's why we adopt dogs who are older.  But it depends. If you have the patience and desire to bring a puppy along. it can be both fun and rewarding. 

Our first dog was a Cocker Spaniel.  Got her as a puppy.  When we were much younger.  She was wonderful.  The funny thing. She loved to steal underwear.  But knew she had done wrong. By going into a corner, after stealing the underwear.... and stay there and cry.  No way we could ever punish her, as we felt she had done that to herself.

Do you preserve the peppers in any way? Im going to have a big garden, so I'm sure I won't be able to eat all of them when they're ready.

I'm getting a husky, so I'm trying to get emotionally ready for crazy!  I worry about punishing too. How can I say no to this lol

IMG_3555.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Do you preserve the peppers in any way? Im going to have a big garden, so I'm sure I won't be able to eat all of them when they're ready.

I'm getting a husky, so I'm trying to get emotionally ready for crazy!  I worry about punishing too. How can I say no to this lol

IMG_3555.jpeg

Peppers can be canned. Though I have canned cucumbers, to turn them into pickles. I have never canned peppers.

How To Preserve Hot Peppers In Vinegar- Easy Recipe

Husky.  Reminds me of one of our great HSN members..... Husky Bomb.  Enjoy your time with your young pup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

IMG_3555.jpeg

Huskies require a lot of exercise when they are young or they will get bored and chew up everything.  Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Last night was hopefully the last close one. Just pulled up long term forecasts for Indy area over next 14 days or so. I see daily temps near 80 for a long time....I think these frosts won't be making another appearance until October. We hope. Haha.

I was thinking of planting today, but we've got an 80% chance of thunderstorms 3 of the next 4 days. Don't want to take a chance with heavy rain and winds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

IMG_3555.jpeg

We got a puppy about a week ago. It is a lot. They need to be supervised 100% of the time they aren’t crated. This allows you to teach them potty training and what to do and not to do. 

Sounds like you need to make some hot sauce. I’ve never done it but I’ve looked into it. There are some recipes that look pretty simple with vinegar and cayenne. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

We got a puppy about a week ago. It is a lot. They need to be supervised 100% of the time they aren’t crated. This allows you to teach them potty training and what to do and not to do.

I consulted my daughter that trains dogs for a living and in addition to the above good advice (her words "ALL puppies should be crate trained!)...

Buy chew toys. Not the rawhide ones though. She recommends Bully sticks. Says cloth and rubber toys makes them think anything is fair game...

And last, but most importantly, LOTS of exercise, as Reacher said, especially for a Husky...when I told her it was a Husky, she said, "Well, good luck." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Last night was hopefully the last close one. Just pulled up long term forecasts for Indy area over next 14 days or so. I see daily temps near 80 for a long time....I think these frosts won't be making another appearance until October. We hope. Haha.

We got frost last night...possible for tonight as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I consulted my daughter that trains dogs for a living and in addition to the above good advice (her words "ALL puppies should be crate trained!)...

Buy chew toys. Not the rawhide ones though. She recommends Bully sticks. Says cloth and rubber toys makes them think anything is fair game...

And last, but most importantly, LOTS of exercise, as Teacher said, especially for a Husky...when I told her it was a Husky, she said, "Well, good luck." 

We’ve been pushing crate training with some good progress. I’ll have to do look into what toys we’re buying. What kind of dog training does she do?

Sorry for pulling off topic. 
here’s my latest landscaping project. Still waiting to get a bag or 2 of mulch for the last strip. 

793BD240-15E8-4ABA-A245-6AB23485E698.jpeg

E6832C97-C4DF-42CB-B892-6668D45229B8.jpeg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

We’ve been pushing crate training with some good progress. I’ll have to do look into what toys we’re buying. What kind of dog training does she do?

She's into behavioral, but also into physical therapy and holistic medicine. She is certified as a veterinary technician. 

Her main advice to me always has been, "make sure they always know who the alpha is." 

Here she is with 2 of her dogs...a Great Dane, and a Cane Corso/Nepolitan Mastiff mix (purposely bred that way). 

The Cane Corso mix (female...100 lbs worth) is especially strong willed, but she knows who the alpha is...and anyone who would threaten my daughter when she is around would be in for a very bad day...

20190824_182933.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Here she is with 2 of her dogs...a Great Dane, and a Cane Corso/Nepolitan Mastiff mix (purposely bred that way). 

The Cane Corso mix (female...100 lbs worth) is especially strong willed, but she knows who the alpha is...and anyone who would threaten my daughter when she is around would be in for a very bad day...

20190824_182933.jpg

Had a niece who had Great Danes. In fact at one time had three of them at the same time.  One was deaf. The other was blind.  And the third was a show dog.  Great Danes are wonderful dogs.  They actually think they are lap dogs.

Now...Cane Corso is a breed I was not familiar with.  After checking, it is one dog I would not want to upset.  Love how your daughter has that dog under control.

Cane Corsos - The $10,000 Dogs Of War 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Sounds like you need to make some hot sauce. I’ve never done it but I’ve looked into it. There are some recipes that look pretty simple with vinegar and cayenne. 

I'm trying to puppy proof the main floor today. That way the inevitable accidents will be on vinyl flooring that are easy to clean, and there isn't much that can be torn up.

I was thinking of trying to dry some of the cayenne and grind it to make my own cayenne powder.  I'll have to look into the hot sauce idea!  Sounds fun.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And last, but most importantly, LOTS of exercise, as Reacher said, especially for a Husky...when I told her it was a Husky, she said, "Well, good luck." 

Haha.  Yeah, it will definitely be an experience. I have wanted a husky for about 10 years, so I know all about their crazy energy. The timing just hasn't been right until now.  We'll see if I'm actually ready for it though!

I'm planning on trying crate training. One of my parent's dogs hated it. She would never stop crying, but she's a weirdo lol. Won't do more than a couple stairs, likes to pee when excited and she pees in puddles and their lake. Maybe she's not a good example of crate training!

The nice thing is that I'm home until at least August, so I'll have a lot of time to work on things.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

20190824_182933.jpg

Can I hire her to come to Illinois and train my dog all summer? Fair warning, I don't pay well lol.

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Can I hire her to come to Illinois and train my dog all summer? Fair warning, I don't pay well lol.

She lives in the Chicagoland area...

Her rates are kinda pricey in my eyes, but she's in demand and makes a really nice living doing it...and it's something she loves...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Her rates are kinda pricey in my eyes, but she's in demand and makes a really nice living doing it...and it's something she loves...

That's either 1 hour or 3 hours away depending on which part of Chicagoland and the traffic!

Rates for most things involving dogs is high. People will pay more to train their dogs than they will to train their kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think I've shared this story on here before or maybe not. Neighbors were both working professionals....60 hour grind,etc...type of folks. Loved dogs so they just decided one day to quit their careers and open dog walking business for people like they were. 10 years later and triple their income....they have roughly 30 people walking dogs for them, house sitting dogs....anything you can name to do with daily care of dogs. All started with $15 walks at lunch time for their neighbors and word spread....now it's grown into a very, very nice business. Apps, take pictures of dogs when done, send to owners any issues.....really cool when people combine a passion and income. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I've shared this story on here before or maybe not. Neighbors were both working professionals....60 hour grind,etc...type of folks. Loved dogs so they just decided one day to quit their careers and open dog walking business for people like they were. 10 years later and triple their income....they have roughly 30 people walking dogs for them, house sitting dogs....anything you can name to do with daily care of dogs. All started with $15 walks at lunch time for their neighbors and word spread....now it's grown into a very, very nice business. Apps, take pictures of dogs when done, send to owners any issues.....really cool when people combine a passion and income. 

I said it just recently on HSN.  Find a job you love. And you will never work another day in your life.

• Like 1

My town has a rabbit infestation, and since I lived in city limits I cant shoot'em, wife dont want me to trap them because she knows I will want to eat them. So I just have to make extra efforts to protect my plants. Chicken wire does the trick. Really want to eat those rabbits though. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My town has a rabbit infestation, and since I lived in city limits I cant shoot'em, wife dont want me to trap them because she knows I will want to eat them. So I just have to make extra efforts to protect my plants. Chicken wire does the trick. Really want to eat those rabbits though. 

Rascally rabbits always try devastate my lettuce.  I agree. Chicken wire or plastic mesh does the trick.  One year, before I learned.  Went out one night to check my lettuce. Was looking great. Said to myself.  Let it go overnight. And pick it in the morning.  Went out in the morning.... only to find those demon rabbits had eaten it all.