Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Smart man. 3" of rain Sunday washed out a bit of our garden. Will have to tweak things to keep some of the water out. 

20200517_182927.jpg

This picture could be any one of thousands in the midwest today. Not getting any better tomorrow. Think we'll finally dry out this week and temps soar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Smart man. 3" of rain Sunday washed out a bit of our garden. Will have to tweak things to keep some of the water out. 

20200517_182927.jpg

Oh no! Hopefully most of them are still standing and can pull through.

I haven't heard how much we got, but it rained all day, and there is water everywhere around here.  I would guess we were in the 3 inch range too.  Fields already had standing water before yesterday, so it is really soggy around here.

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Dang, Reacher. That's a ton of water. Hope stuff didn't get too washed out.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Oh no! Hopefully most of them are still standing and can pull through.

I haven't heard how much we got, but it rained all day, and there is water everywhere around here.  I would guess we were in the 3 inch range too.  Fields already had standing water before yesterday, so it is really soggy around here.

The main bed looked pretty decent this am. The secondary bed has a couple blueberry bushes which are fine, but the pumpkin, watermelon, and cucumber probably all need to be replanted. All in all, not too bad considering the rain we had. Glad it was this early so I can fix it up to keep the water out before any future storms

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Dare I ask on how the fields are? Did things get in early enough or is this like last year all over again? 

Most is planted around me.  Just a lot of standing water in the fields.  It should be fine with the "dry out" coming.  

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 7:03 PM, Leathernecks said:

Do you preserve the peppers in any way? Im going to have a big garden, so I'm sure I won't be able to eat all of them when they're ready.

I'm getting a husky, so I'm trying to get emotionally ready for crazy!  I worry about punishing too. How can I say no to this lol

IMG_3555.jpeg

You better be ready for crazy because it's coming for sure. Our 5 yr old Husky still out of control

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:03 PM, Leathernecks said:

Do you preserve the peppers in any way? Im going to have a big garden, so I'm sure I won't be able to eat all of them when they're ready.

I'm getting a husky, so I'm trying to get emotionally ready for crazy!  I worry about punishing too. How can I say no to this lol

IMG_3555.jpeg

Just saw this post...cute puppy! We cut up and freeze our peppers in those plastic freezer safe ziplock type bags and use them in chili etc all fall/winter.

• Like 1

Do you guys stake  your bell pepper or hot pepper plants out of the gate? I've literally been to 4 places today and none left. These are potted plants. I did one and got the other in the dirt. Just making sure I can add a cage as time goes on. 

Edited by Seeking6

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Do you guys stake  your bell pepper or hot pepper plants out of the gate? I've literally been to 4 places today and none left. These are potted plants. I did one and got the other in the dirt. Just making sure I can add a cage as time goes on. 

I always try to stake/cage when I plant them, b/c I'm worried about disturbing the root system later by adding. I think with peppers though you will be fine, just adding a stake when you can get them. One of my Biker Billy hot peppers already has a tiny little pepper that's showed up this weekend. The peppers, tomatoes, and flowers are all loving this heat.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I always try to stake/cage when I plant them, b/c I'm worried about disturbing the root system later by adding. I think with peppers though you will be fine, just adding a stake when you can get them. One of my Biker Billy hot peppers already has a tiny little pepper that's showed up this weekend. The peppers, tomatoes, and flowers are all loving this heat.

Thanks! I found out Meijer actually still has cages/stakes so I'm going to keep planting and do the other cages/staking tomorrow. Assuming with stake it's basically stand up next to base of plant and tie together?

Also...my Bonnie Big Boy tomatoes say plant 2/3 of the actual plant. What if plants actually have leaves in the bottom 2/3?  Just go ahead and put them under soil as well?

I also do it fairly quickly. We usually use cages.

• Like 1

Yes.  Plus I sank 8 foot metal posts in the veggie garden years ago.  They are never coming out. However, I attach a fresh  grow net up every other year.  For my tomato plants to climb them as they grow.   Also use spray-n-grow. 

Then once the tomatoes start to grow. I use bat guano in the ground which makes the tomato plant go nuts.  One year... I kid you not, just one tomato plant produced over 800 tomatos, using this method. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! I found out Meijer actually still has cages/stakes so I'm going to keep planting and do the other cages/staking tomorrow. Assuming with stake it's basically stand up next to base of plant and tie together?

Also...my Bonnie Big Boy tomatoes say plant 2/3 of the actual plant. What if plants actually have leaves in the bottom 2/3?  Just go ahead and put them under soil as well?

I use the small tomato cages for peppers. Useless for tomatoes but great for peppers. 

Plant tomatoes deep like the instructions say. It helps root the tomatoes in the ground. I've had tomato plants grow 10-12 ft tall. 

• Like 2

Thanks to all replies. It's weird for me to understand  planting the actual tomato plant (2/3 to top) with leaves still on. The videos I've watched say you can clip or not....won't make much of a difference. Going to go ahead and get these big boys going....and make sure I get cage for other pot tomorrow and assuming (from what I've watched) just put those in pot about with proper spacing for bottom?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks to all replies. It's weird for me to understand  planting the actual tomato plant (2/3 to top) with leaves still on. The videos I've watched say you can clip or not....won't make much of a difference. Going to go ahead and get these big boys going....and make sure I get cage for other pot tomorrow and assuming (from what I've watched) just put those in pot about with proper spacing for bottom?

I always pinch off the suckers that grow between the main branches.

• Like 1

I hate grass and weeds. I've been healing from a rib injury for a month so havent been able to do anything physical until the last couple days after I recovered from that and being sick. So, me and the wife are bushhogging my yard with a push mower and weed eater. Oh, had to fix the mower first. Ugh. 

• Like 1

All in finally. Went 4 Big Boy Bonnie's......2 Bell Peppers and 3 Hot Banana, Serrano, and Jalapeno.....need to get cages for rest but funny thing is this. I keep going out and making sure their all fine....haha! I know I need to leave them alone.

Neighbor told me mulch on top of soil to keep things moist/cool. Thoughts??

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep, just like @mrflynn03 says, plant it deep with bottom leaves submerged. Another thing to watch for is to keep trimming the leaves that are close to the soil as it grows. I always try to make sure none of the bottom leaves are close to the soil when I water the plant, the water/soil splashing onto the leaves can cause infections. I like to keep a clean stem as it nears the soil.

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

All in finally. Went 4 Big Boy Bonnie's......2 Bell Peppers and 3 Hot Banana, Serrano, and Jalapeno.....need to get cages for rest but funny thing is this. I keep going out and making sure their all fine....haha! I know I need to leave them alone.

Neighbor told me mulch on top of soil to keep things moist/cool. Thoughts??

You are going to love tending to these guys as they grow, flower, and fruit! It's such a satisfying feeling when you start seeing results.

One summer my wife came out on the terrace when I was manually pollinating some tomato flowers on some heirloom tomatoes with an electric toothbrush. That was kind of hard to explain. 😅

You can totally use mulch on top of soil. I don't, but many people do and it helps retain moisture a bit

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep, just like @mrflynn03 says, plant it deep with bottom leaves submerged. Another thing to watch for is to keep trimming the leaves that are close to the soil as it grows. I always try to make sure none of the bottom leaves are close to the soil when I water the plant, the water/soil splashing onto the leaves can cause infections. I like to keep a clean stem as it nears the soil.

You are going to love tending to these guys as they grow, flower, and fruit! It's such a satisfying feeling when you start seeing results.

One summer my wife came out on the terrace when I was manually pollinating some tomato flowers on some heirloom tomatoes with an electric toothbrush. That was kind of hard to explain. 😅

You can totally use mulch on top of soil. I don't, but many people do and it helps retain moisture a bit

Thanks again for the follow up. Work in progress for sure....just landed some free pots today and going to see if I expand some very simple things like radishes and onions. Appreciate the tips on stems....it's one of those concepts where I guess you have to surrender to the unknown and roll with it.

Thanks again for the follow up. Work in progress for sure....just landed some free pots today and going to see if I expand some very simple things like radishes and onions. Appreciate the tips on stems....it's one of those concepts where I guess you have to surrender to the unknown and roll with it.

Wait until you stumble on to the "remove the suckers or let them stay" debate for your tomatoes!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Wait until you stumble on to the "remove the suckers or let them stay" debate for your tomatoes!

That's what I'm gathering. Some very hard lines on pull the stems closest to the soil or you'll be sorry debates. My family has had gardens for years....their opinions range from they'll be fine to just pinch the small leaves. Again...no clear direction. Haha! Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can turn a big tub of IU popcorn container into a holder for 2 small pepper plants as long as I drill 7-8 holes in bottom to allow air/drainage. 

This quarantine does have it's advantages. No way I do these things if the world was normal. Now I just have to figure out how to make the greens on my local golf course as similar as my living room and I'm good to go.