Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Now I just have to figure out how to make the greens on my local golf course as similar as my living room and I'm good to go.

There's always https://hdgolf.com/?msclkid=2514e763bb161afe9ee6b9ae18265fa2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - NonTM - Golf - Professional - US&utm_term=Professional Golf Simulators&utm_content=Professional Golf Simulators but that is for another thread!

• Like 1

I'm always most excited about tomatoes on our terrace, but this is the second year for a peony bush that I had planted for last year. Last year, it had three blooms. This year, we have 17 flowers and my wife has been over the moon.

It's her favorite flower and they are kind of tricky to grow sometimes. Everyone told me that they don't do well in containers, but on our terrace, containers are my only option. Huge success for this year! If we had the room, I would plant a dozen of them.

DSC01257.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm always most excited about tomatoes on our terrace, but this is the second year for a peony bush that I had planted for last year. Last year, it had three blooms. This year, we have 17 flowers and my wife has been over the moon.

It's her favorite flower and they are kind of tricky to grow sometimes. Everyone told me that they don't do well in containers, but on our terrace, containers are my only option. Huge success for this year! If we had the room, I would plant a dozen of them.

DSC01257.JPG

My wife lovers her Peonies. And Hydrangeas, and-  a whole lot more!

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

DSC01257.JPG

I have four peony plants in one of my flower gardens. Peonies, if well take care of can live up to 100 years.  They do like sun. I have one plant my mother had in Indiana and brought with her when she and my dad moved to Colorado in 1977.  Still going strong.

Be sure to trim them in the early Spring or late Fall.   And then feed, feed them as they grow later in the spring.  A hoop found at any garden store will help them to stand up tall and proud. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

My wife lovers her Peonies. And Hydrangeas, and-  a whole lot more!

Yeah, your wife has good taste in plants, judging from your photos!

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I have four peony plants in one of my flower gardens. Peonies, if well take care of can live up to 100 years.  They do like sun. I have one plant my mother had in Indiana and brought with her when she and my dad moved to Colorado in 1977.  Still going strong.

Be sure to trim them in the early Spring or late Fall.   And then feed, feed them as they grow later in the spring.  A hoop found at any garden store will help them to stand up tall and proud. 

Good to know about feeding them. I did not do that this year. I did trim them back in late fall. My mother had peonies on basically the whole side of our house growing up in Southern Indiana. I remember the intoxicating smell of those big blooms and all the ants on the tight buds right before they bloomed. Great memories!

• Like 1

Lost. If you are a coffee drinker ( which I am no longer).... instead of going to a garden center for Peony specific  fertilizer.... I have found that used coffee grounds work well.  And many Starbucks ( but not all ) package their used coffee grounds for gardeners, package them and give them out for free.  I use them all season in my veggie garden as well.

FREE Coffee Grounds for Your Garden at Starbucks 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Lost. If you are a coffee drinker ( which I am no longer).... instead of going to a garden center for Peony specific  fertilizer.... I have found that used coffee grounds work well.  And many Starbucks ( but not all ) package their used coffee grounds for gardeners, package them and give them out for free.  I use them all season in my veggie garden as well.

FREE Coffee Grounds for Your Garden at Starbucks 

We are both coffee drinkers. Every morning we grind beans and do a big french press, so lots of coffee grounds each day!

We finally got dry enough that I could get my garden planted.  Still kind of clumpy when I tilled it today, but we had a chance of rain so I had to get them in. My tomatoes are looking rough from the inside and outside of hardening them off for about a month, but they're starting to come out of it.  I was too tired to think about taking a picture, but I will take one tomorrow.  I got a ton of things planted. If you picked a random vegetable from a list, there's a good chance I planted it haha.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably a silly question but when plants are just starting off in pots....can strong winds ruin? Should you shield them at all? My deck faces south and with all the heat and temps the winds from south have been crazy. Any worries? 

Your discretion depending on how hard the wind is blowing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably a silly question but when plants are just starting off in pots....can strong winds ruin? Should you shield them at all? My deck faces south and with all the heat and temps the winds from south have been crazy. Any worries? 

I have never had winds destroy my plants. No matter what time during the growing season. However...on the other hand.  Hail is another issue.  One year had an entire crop of freshly planted veggies and flowers taken out by hail.  Now I have an arsenal of buckets and to cover, any time I hear of the possibility of hail.

I guess in your case. You could just put your plants inside, if hail is predicted.

Happy growing !

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, Leathernecks said:

Here's my garden progress. Plants aren't as big as I usually like them, but I don't think it will make much difference in the long run.

Everything in there was started from seed except a few peppers, one tomato, one tomatillo, and the onions.20200529_191427.thumb.jpg.d96edeee21b4c06a79f284772ae36b0b.jpg

THAT is a nice-sized garden! I would be over the moon watching the progress on that.

On 5/30/2020 at 7:10 AM, rico said:

Irises blooming and peonies ready to pop.

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

Is that one peony plant or two together? And our one measly peony plant is just passing peak bloom. It was GORGEOUS though while it was blooming.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, Leathernecks said:

Here's my garden progress. Plants aren't as big as I usually like them, but I don't think it will make much difference in the long run.

Everything in there was started from seed except a few peppers, one tomato, one tomatillo, and the onions.20200529_191427.thumb.jpg.d96edeee21b4c06a79f284772ae36b0b.jpg

Very nice veggie garden you have got there.  Happy growing season. And thanks for the pic.

One row of corn would look great in there. Actually helps with enriching the soil.

But keep them away from your tomato plant/ plants.

I also plant Marigolds on the South edge of my Veggie garden to fend off pests. 

Companion Planting For Top 10 Veggies Grown in US - Farmers' Almanac 

Edited by milehiiu

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick question. One of my pepper plants after only a week or so in it's pot has a little curling/just a tip of brown at end of leaf action going on. What causes and what level of concern? Not enough water? Bad soil?

At this point probably just happened from transplant shock.  Too early for disease, but I dont have problems with disease in peppers.  Is it at the bottom?  I just pick those off so the plant doesn't waste energy on it. Post a pic if you can to get a better idea.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1