Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

17 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Exactly! My wife just didn't see the point in growing our own veggies at first. Even the first year, she was like "sure it's cool to have herbs and the tomatoes are better." But last year's tomato crop (Giant Syrian and Matt's Wild Cherry) blew her away. The first time we had a fresh Giant Syrian that I had just picked, with mozzarella, basil, and olive oil, she totally got it. "THIS is a tomato!'" she said." Easily the best Ive ever tasted."

Now she loves being able to just walk out on the terrace and grab rosemary, basil, and sage at any time. And we eat a LOT more tomatoes and peppers when I am constantly harvesting them. Our neighbors love the tomatoes as well.

I've become that old man in the neighborhood that gives everyone produce all the sudden. And I'm totally fine with that!

Herbs.  Oh yes.  To the East of my veggie garden. And next to my compost bins. I have a fairly large wood table. On which I put herbs in pots.  It's great. As during the morning. They get shade. Sun for the hottest part of the day.  And then shade again. Late in the day.  I think I have heard them say thank you to me for where they are.  LOL

Seriously. It is wonderful to go out there in the evening, while I or Mrs. mile are preparing dinner.  Get the fresh herbs we need for the dinner we are preparing that night.  And not having to go to the store for them. 

Oh. And nothing beats the taste of a home grown tomato.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Pots are expensive. And soil. And cages. It's all kind of expensive, but oh so worth it in July and August.

Look around.  Check out Walmart for pricing. Especially at season end.  Really.  Also. Regardless. Once purchased,  the pots and cages can last for years. 

Edited by milehiiu

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Fresh basil is like crack for me. And smells so good. 

I make a grilled vegetable sandwich in the summer topped with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a garlic aioli.  Mostly all out of the garden. Yum, cant wait😬

Put some basil on a home grown tomato some time.  Your choice.... then top with blue cheese.  Did this the other day for lunch. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's only been a couple hundred bucks and the enjoyment I'm getting far outweighs the actual cost. It's just been funny. $2 plant....but pots (in my case), cages, bamboo, fertilizer, organic gardening soil,etc....turn into $25 for each one but all worth it. Starting to research quick turnaround veggies. I have a bag and half of organic gardening soil that needs to be used. More planting coming!

I have reused potting soil from one year to the next.  If you aren't sure if it will work, in January/February, plant a couple seeds and see if they take.  I want to say I saw something that said to bake the soil for a little while in case there has been bacteria growing on it, but I could just be making that up haha.

I reused seeds this year, and didn't have any troubles.  Still had a great germination rate.  Can really help cut down on the costs.

If you want something that is a really quick turnaround, it might be worth looking into shoots, sprouts, and microgreens.  I have grown a few, and I think those are a blast to grow.  From planting to harvest in a week or two.  I've been meaning to get some going, so maybe that will be a project for this week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Fresh basil is like crack for me. And smells so good. 

I make a grilled vegetable sandwich in the summer topped with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a garlic aioli.  Mostly all out of the garden. Yum, cant wait😬

Last year I planted my cherry tomatoes right next to the basil so I could stand in the garden and eat about 10 cherry tomatoes wrapped in basil.  I wasn't thinking when I planted this year and they are a couple rows apart.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

After a lot of rain/sun over the past week my tomato plants are really going nuts. Am already seeing little tomatoes fruiting right on schedule.

Peppers are doing okay as well, one plant already producing peppers, which is a little early for here.

Yahoo !  Feel good for YOU! Seriously. That's great. 

Putting in one last tomato today. Had go go to rural king for a new mower and finally found sunsugar cherry.  For some reason had trouble finding them. I eat sunsugar tomatoes like candy. At their peak I can fill a 2 qt pitcher almost daily, from 1 plant. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Putting in one last tomato today. Had go go to rural king for a new mower and finally found sunsugar cherry.  For some reason had trouble finding them. I eat sunsugar tomatoes like candy. At their peak I can fill a 2 qt pitcher almost daily, from 1 plant. 

Never heard of Sunsugar.  Beef Steak has been my all time favorite. But... they take a long growing season.   I am too late this year.  Unless I can find one plant that is well along.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Never heard of Sunsugar.  Beef Steak has been my all time favorite. But... they take a long growing season.   I am too late this year.  Unless I can find one plant that is well along.

They are a yellow/orange cherry.  Have some sweetness. Grow like crazy. 

sun-sugar-tomato.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

That's what I plant for a cherry tomato too. Tough to beat their flavor and quantity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

After a lot of rain/sun over the past week my tomato plants are really going nuts. Am already seeing little tomatoes fruiting right on schedule.

Peppers are doing okay as well, one plant already producing peppers, which is a little early for here.

Your tomatoes and peppers are killing it! Mine have gotten quite a bit bigger the last few days with some rain and warm temperatures, but no fruits yet.

My beans and sweet corn have started coming up, and my fennel is looking awesome. Herbs are looking pretty solid too. Lost a cauliflower and broccoli to some rabbits, but got over that pretty quick haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Your tomatoes and peppers are killing it! Mine have gotten quite a bit bigger the last few days with some rain and warm temperatures, but no fruits yet.

My beans and sweet corn have started coming up, and my fennel is looking awesome. Herbs are looking pretty solid too. Lost a cauliflower and broccoli to some rabbits, but got over that pretty quick haha.

That's one advantage I have on my fourth floor terrace over you guys! No pests -besides our two dogs. :)

We also have super hot sun during the day, I've never had tomatoes and peppers grow so well as they have on this terrace in big containers.

Fennel and artichokes are the two things I want to grow, but really don't have the space for. My wife would love some shallots too, but we just can't fit them here.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That's one advantage I have on my fourth floor terrace over you guys! No pests -besides our two dogs. :)

We also have super hot sun during the day, I've never had tomatoes and peppers grow so well as they have on this terrace in big containers.

Fennel and artichokes are the two things I want to grow, but really don't have the space for. My wife would love some shallots too, but we just can't fit them here.

I would love to see the rabbit that could get to your plants!

I planted 3 fennel plants. Planning on eating 2 of them, and I'm going to try to get the seeds from the 3rd one. Never done that before, but I love fennel seeds.  I planned on doing some artichokes, but they didn't make the move well when I planted them in bigger pots this spring.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I would love to see the rabbit that could get to your plants!

I planted 3 fennel plants. Planning on eating 2 of them, and I'm going to try to get the seeds from the 3rd one. Never done that before, but I love fennel seeds.  I planned on doing some artichokes, but they didn't make the move well when I planted them in bigger pots this spring.

Have 4 fennel plants myself. Did not think of letting one go to seed. May try that. 

Fennel and beets roasted in the oven on a sheet pan are delicious. Olive oil, some salt and pepper and about 20 minutes at 425. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Have 4 fennel plants myself. Did not think of letting one go to seed. May try that. 

Fennel and beets roasted in the oven on a sheet pan are delicious. Olive oil, some salt and pepper and about 20 minutes at 425. 

I don’t know if there is anything special you have to do, or if they just go to seed and you collect them. Going to have to look that up some time, but I can't imagine it is that tough.

I tried fennel for the first time a couple years ago, and loved it. Such a different flavor than any other vegetable. 

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don’t know if there is anything special you have to do, or if they just go to seed and you collect them. Going to have to look that up some time, but I can't imagine it is that tough.

I tried fennel for the first time a couple years ago, and loved it. Such a different flavor than any other vegetable. 

Letting them go to seed is why I want to plant artichokes. Apparently the bees go insane for the pollen when you let the artichokes flower and go to seed. The huge purple flowers are really prettty too. But they really take up a lot of room.

Fennel looks so airy and cool when you let it flower too. Has a wildflower look to it.