Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

54 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Thanks.

We have English Ivy that’s everywhere so it will probably latch on. My wife wants to hang some pots. I am going to research a weather proof tv to watch football 

Well Done!

I forget are you on Lime Lake or Lake Gage? I remember floating around Lime Lake on inner tubes all afternoon with a couple of nice girls and my friend and there weren't any houses that looked anywhere near that nice. Of course it was 45 years ago and I MAY have been more interested in the ladies than the architecture!

Edited by Drroogh

40 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Well Done!

I forget are you on Lime Lake or Lake Gage? I remember floating around Lime Lake on inner tubes all afternoon with a couple of nice girls and my friend and there weren't any houses that looked anywhere near that nice. Of course it was 45 years ago and I MAY have been more interested in the ladies than the architecture!

We are on Lime. Peacefulness of the no wake lake with the ability to get onto Gage to take grandkids tubing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We are on Lime. Peacefulness of the no wake lake with the ability to get onto Gage to take grandkids tubing 

Used to live on Crystal Lake about an hour north of Lansing Michigan, where the sound of jet skis could be heard sun up to sun down!. Would take the kids to the close by Duck lake so we could tube without the excess so to speak!  Have a lakeside family cabin of more than 100 years in Northern Wisconsin. Everyone in the family agrees it is the most peaceful place in the world!

Completely understand the peacfulness of Lime Lake, you are blessed my friend!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Thanks.

We have English Ivy that’s everywhere so it will probably latch on. My wife wants to hang some pots. I am going to research a weather proof tv to watch football 

My neighbor has one but rarely uses it. I thought about it too, but realized I can just take my indoors one out since I use wifi and not cable. 

I'm at my lake house in MI now. They have quiet hours until noon and after 7pm. Works good. No noisy boats to wake you up and quiet time for the fishermen and kayakers. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Drroogh said:
On 6/16/2020 at 4:47 PM, rico said:

Some shots of the garden and flowers before the heat comes....

How do you keep the deer out? Around here I think they have the squirrels trained to knock the pears out of the top of the tree. They eat everything!

You don't.  Deer have corn and beans to graze on all summer long from all the farmer's fields here.  Now towns around here do have deer bother gardens and flower beds.  The town of Winona Lake, IN has hunting for deer within city limits to combat the problem.

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

My cherry tomatoes (Super Sweet 100s) are going like gangbusters here on the terrace. Pepper plants are kind of odd - a few are doing very little and the other half are going crazy. I had to get them from Burpee and I had never ordered from them before.

IMG_3315.jpg

So I know I have a good starting plant, I'm going to try to harvest seeds from my veggies this year and use them next year. Never done it before, but seed costs can add up, and some companies seem hit or miss on seed quality.

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

So I know I have a good starting plant, I'm going to try to harvest seeds from my veggies this year and use them next year. Never done it before, but seed costs can add up, and some companies seem hit or miss on seed quality.

Yeah, if you have a good performer save those seeds. No reason to pay someone else when you have the right there.

I've seen people save seeds from a grocery store tomato to plant and I'm like "Why would you want to recreate such a sad experience?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, if you have a good performer save those seeds. No reason to pay someone else when you have the right there.

I've seen people save seeds from a grocery store tomato to plant and I'm like "Why would you want to recreate such a sad experience?"

Honestly, I used saved seeds from a grocery store tomato in my hydroponic system and it was phenomenal. 
all the defects were breed out of it, just as a skilled farmer from 100 yrs ago would do. 

• Like 2

Any Tipton county residents or farmers in this thread? Kind of a gardening question. Curious what the corn fields look like there? There's a corn grower there that says they can start shipping fresh sweet corn to your door by July 7th. Fields here in central Indiana are coming along but don't see anything yielding fresh corn in 12 days.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Any Tipton county residents or farmers in this thread? Kind of a gardening question. Curious what the corn fields look like there? There's a corn grower there that says they can start shipping fresh sweet corn to your door by July 7th. Fields here in central Indiana are coming along but don't see anything yielding fresh corn in 12 days.

Growing up in Indiana, we had a saying : "knee high by the Fourth of July."  However, with the advances in modern agriculture, I understand that saying is no longer applicable.

• Like 2