Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Growing up in Indiana, we had a saying : "knee high by the Fourth of July."  However, with the advances in modern agriculture, I understand that saying is no longer applicable.

I remember that saying! Also remember detassling corn in the summer and happy to never have to do that again.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome work! When did you get things in and where at? I've got early signs of peppers in my pots....tomato plants just yellow blossoms but nothing else yet.

I think i got most plants in by the 3rd week of May..I live south of Bloomington and the weather has been good except for one cold spell and i covered all the plants with buckets due too a couple nights of frost.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I think i got most plants in by the 3rd week of May..I live south of Bloomington and the weather has been good except for one cold spell and i covered all the plants with buckets due too a couple nights of frost.

Awesome! Always amazing to me how 75 miles south can help this time of year! I'm actually watching my peppers develop day to day....can't wait to pick a few down the road!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome work! When did you get things in and where at? I've got early signs of peppers in my pots....tomato plants just yellow blossoms but nothing else yet.

Just today I started noticing a couple tiny tomatoes coming on. It seems like most years the first few days of blossoms drop and don't pollinate, but they're definitely starting to go for me. Some people say to shake the plant or brush against the flower to help pollination, but no idea if that helps or not.

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just today I started noticing a couple tiny tomatoes coming on. It seems like most years the first few days of blossoms drop and don't pollinate, but they're definitely starting to go for me. Some people say to shake the plant or brush against the flower to help pollination, but no idea if that helps or not.

Let's call it a bit of my Illinois pessimism...the plants, cages, soil, fertilizer all in place and right now just yellow blossoms. Peppers starting to do their thing just curious if I'm messing something up with tomato pots.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Let's call it a bit of my Illinois pessimism...the plants, cages, soil, fertilizer all in place and right now just yellow blossoms. Peppers starting to do their thing just curious if I'm messing something up with tomato pots.

I would give it a few days. It seems like it happens to me every year. I just went through it with my tomatoes thinking I was in trouble.

I think the first few blossoms are the tax the state takes out before you can start collecting your tomatoes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I would give it a few days. It seems like it happens to me every year. I just went through it with my tomatoes thinking I was in trouble.

I think the first few blossoms are the tax the state takes out before you can start collecting your tomatoes. 

With the heat and humidity we have today and coming days....if I don't see something by next Thursday or Friday I'm going to start posting pictures and asking the crew if I'm doing something wrong. 6-8 hours of sun, plenty of water, soil, fertilizer......time will tell I guess but Mother Nature and I are going to have a chat in 7 days if things don't show progress. Haha

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

With the heat and humidity we have today and coming days....if I don't see something by next Thursday or Friday I'm going to start posting pictures and asking the crew if I'm doing something wrong. 6-8 hours of sun, plenty of water, soil, fertilizer......time will tell I guess but Mother Nature and I are going to have a chat in 7 days if things don't show progress. Haha

I think early on they are still pretty picky on having the right conditions, but after they get bigger they can better cope with heat/cold and too much or too little water.

If all else fails, sacrifice a tomato plant in front of another one to show it you aren't messing around.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

We got hit pretty hard with storms last night. Lost most of my sweet corn, and a lot of my peppers and herbs are laying down. Going to try to stake the peppers up today if it isn't too muddy to get to them.

Here on North Side of Indy we are getting pounded with rain (finally!!). We need every drop we can get but the 60 mph winds aren't good for small plants. 

• Like 1

We haven't rally had any storms lately, so I've been watering my tomatoes daily. Tomatoes in containers need more water than those in the ground. Have been hoping for some rainy days - though not plant damaging ones like you guys are seeing!

I did notice a few days ago that some of our cherry tomatoes are starting to turn colors. Behold the color red for the first time this season!

IMG_3352.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We haven't rally had any storms lately, so I've been watering my tomatoes daily. Tomatoes in containers need more water than those in the ground. Have been hoping for some rainy days - though not plant damaging ones like you guys are seeing!

I did notice a few days ago that some of our cherry tomatoes are starting to turn colors. Behold the color red for the first time this season!

IMG_3352.jpg

Thankfully I think all of my plants recovered. I was able to stand them all back up, and hopefully they're good to go. We got around 3 inches of rain a couple nights ago, and a little more yesterday, so I'm good on watering for at least another day or two.

That's awesome you're starting to get tomatoes! I did pick one pepperoncini today. Don't know what to do with it though lol.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I have developed a groundhog problem.  Looked through some instructional videos and have decided on this method.

Do you think he got the mole? 

I've dealt with those things for years. They can be a danger to people. Step on a tunnel and sink in and twist an ankle. 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, Seeking6 said:

Any luck with the tomatoes?  Most of mine are starting to take off, but one of them still doesn't have fruit, and my tomatillo keeps dropping blossoms.  I was just reading that high humidity can be a problem as the pollen sticks inside the flower and makes pollinating by wind and insects difficult.  We've had super high humidity the last week, so maybe that has been the issue.  Might need to start hand pollinating to see if that makes a difference.

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Any luck with the tomatoes?  Most of mine are starting to take off, but one of them still doesn't have fruit, and my tomatillo keeps dropping blossoms.  I was just reading that high humidity can be a problem as the pollen sticks inside the flower and makes pollinating by wind and insects difficult.  We've had super high humidity the last week, so maybe that has been the issue.  Might need to start hand pollinating to see if that makes a difference.

Peppers exploding. First sign of small green tomato developing last night into today which gives me hope this week with heat and humidity. Hopefully another 4-5 days of this will help. My peppers seem to be growing an inch a day. Tomatoes coming along very slowly but I didn't get planted until May 24th range?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Peppers exploding. First sign of small green tomato developing last night into today which gives me hope this week with heat and humidity. Hopefully another 4-5 days of this will help. My peppers seem to be growing an inch a day. Tomatoes coming along very slowly but I didn't get planted until May 24th range?? 

It seems like once the first tomato shows up, they start coming in bunches. Hopefully a lot more are coming soon. For being planted May 24th, this seeks like about the right timing for most kinds of tomatoes. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, Leathernecks said:

My wife caught me one year using an old battery-powered toothbrush on my tomato plant flowers to "manually pollinate" them. She love to tell that story - depending on the company I usually respond with "Well, at least I wasn't using a vibrator on them."

I do think it helps to give them a little shake sometimes when you walk by and most likely the action of the wind is enough action to pollinate them.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, HoosierJax said:

First pick from the Garden this year

20200626_145210.jpg

Great early haul!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

July is when they really start coming on strong. The long, hot days make them go crazy.

We are leaving for about a week starting tomorrow and I'm kind of sad to be away fro our plants. Luckily, we have neighbors that will water them for us.

• Like 1