Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

Starting to fill in here on the magical south-facing terrace. I like barely controlled chaos with planting and by the end of the summer, I'm happy when there is barely a path through the terrace. Tomato Alley usually gets pretty unmanageable by early August. It's the end with our large dining table next to the grill.

Cactus corner is usually pretty chill, but our large column cacti have been moved to the other end behind the wicker couch. They are growing pretty tall.

Our space here in Brooklyn is nothing compared to what you guys are used to, but we make the most of this 35'x5' outdoor space!

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Starting to fill in here on the magical south-facing terrace. I like barely controlled chaos with planting and by the end of the summer, I'm happy when there is barely a path through the terrace. Tomato Alley usually gets pretty unmanageable by early August. It's the end with our large dining table next to the grill.

Cactus corner is usually pretty chill, but our large column cacti have been moved to the other end behind the wicker couch. They are growing pretty tall.

Our space here in Brooklyn is nothing compared to what you guys are used to, but we make the most of this 35'x5' outdoor space!

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

Impressive terrace you you have there.  Must be a delight to sit out at night...   what kind of drink is in the glass on the table ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One more maintenance question. How often do you guys put fertilizer down?

Marked on the calendar.  Change the type depending upon the season.  Every six weeks.

One year, the next door neighbor had a commercial company putting down fertilizer for her.  Happened to be out. And this guy came over to ask me how I was able to get my lawn so green.  So, I told him. Granular. Not liquid.  Changing the fertilizer depending upon the time of the season.

Make sure you get a late fall feeding in before the snow falls.  It helps in the early, early Spring.

• Like 1

Oh, and 6.  I forgot to add. With your first Spring application start with a pre-emergence fertilizer.  To protect against crab grass and broad leaf grasses.

I recommend Scott's which has a combined pre-emergence and fertilizer.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Impressive terrace you you have there.  Must be a delight to sit out at night...   what kind of drink is in the glass on the table ?

Thank you. We sit out there every morning for coffee and paper and every evening to wind down with a drink or two. It's really saved us having the outdoor space - this year especially. In the glass is some box rose - popular choice here in the spring/summer.

In the dead of winter when it's 20 degrees out and sunny, we've been known to hang out there in the afternoon b/c it gets so warm. Somewhere I have a photo of my wife in shorts and t-shirt sipping a drink on the terrace with a little pile of snow at her feet.

17 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

You might not have the space, but at least you don't have the weeds! Weeding is currently an every other day activity in my garden. I'm really OCD, so your controlled chaos makes me cringe haha. It does look fantastic though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

You might not have the space, but at least you don't have the weeds! Weeding is currently an every other day activity in my garden. I'm really OCD, so your controlled chaos makes me cringe haha. It does look fantastic though!

No weeds and critters are a blessing up here for sure. Though I have had an infestation of cutworms on our petunias. Started noticing holes in the blooms and realized that we had some visitors. Have been picking them off each evening at dusk and I *think* they are all gone now.

We do get a lot of bees and butterflies up here though, so that's nice.

Re: your OCD, I'll post another pic when the sweet potato vines start taking over the joint! 😂

• Like 1

I posted about a week ago or maybe it was 3 days ago. Who knows anymore. Anyway I've had a huge turnaround in the tomato game. 3 big pots I have at least 18-19 small green tomatoes starting to take off and I can see more on the way.....patience I guess is all I needed.

My peppers seem like their growing an inch a day. Have 4 banana peppers filling in, 3 bell peppers and at 4 I think their called sweet heat peppers which for some reason I'm supposed to let them go from green to red. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I posted about a week ago or maybe it was 3 days ago. Who knows anymore. Anyway I've had a huge turnaround in the tomato game. 3 big pots I have at least 18-19 small green tomatoes starting to take off and I can see more on the way.....patience I guess is all I needed.

My peppers seem like their growing an inch a day. Have 4 banana peppers filling in, 3 bell peppers and at 4 I think their called sweet heat peppers which for some reason I'm supposed to let them go from green to red. 

That's July for you - usually good growth for tomatoes and peppers!

My wife called me over to the Garden last night. She had something to show me. We have a nest with baby bunnies. Apparently they like the protected enclosure to keep out predators, obviously not rabbits, and the ready-made food supply. Did a pretty good job on our lettuce. Did Harvest some peas and kale yesterday.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Reacher said:

My wife called me over to the Garden last night. She had something to show me. We have a nest with baby bunnies. Apparently they like the protected enclosure to keep out predators, obviously not rabbits, and the ready-made food supply. Did a pretty good job on our lettuce. Did Harvest some peas and kale yesterday.

A few years back.  I went out to the garden, one evening.  Checked the lettuce. And decided to let it go, until the next morning. Next morning... I went out to pick the lettuce.  And it was all gone !   Nasty Rabbits !!   We have tons of rabbits in our neighborhood.  This year.  We planted lettuce under the tree in our front yard, where we normally plant flowers.  The bunnies are feasting on the lettuce out front.... and so far have not attacked the lettuce in our veggie garden.  Will be netting the lettuce in back.... soon.

• Like 2

I had some vermin get in and eat my new row of beans after they ate the first row a few weeks ago. Nibbled on the lettuce a bit, but not too bad. A handful of corn stalks got broken off too. I'm down to about 1 or 2 meals of corn, so hopefully it can hold on!

I got my fence put around everything yesterday, so hopefully no more critters get in.

I'm kind of sad I'll be on vacation for the next week. I'll probably have my cherry tomatoes start to ripen, beans to pick (animals only liked one of my 2 kinds of beans), and a ton of peppers to pick. Going to be a big haul when I get back. My early tomatoes might be ready by then, but I think my brandywines will still need more time. They seem to take forever to ripen. 

• Like 1