Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Just for you, my friend.

Notice the sweet potato vine on the right starting to take over the pavement - it's also going between the metal railings.

Also the cat mint plant by the white chair is really getting up close and personal when you sit there. I've usually got a bumblebee or two grazing my shoulder while I'm having my morning coffee.

But the topper for sure is the star jasmine in the corner on the left (by the wall of cacti). If you zoom in, you can see its tendrils going everywhere. One of them was right in your face when you sit on the loveseat. I did trim them after the photo, but wanted you to get the full OCD effect for you! 😂

IMG_3481.jpg

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

@Lostin76

I actually don't think it looks bad. I don't mind having a lot of plants, it is more when people don't have any rhyme or reason to them.

When my mom plants a garden, there's some tomatoes here, some there. Some things are in rows, some things random. There's flowers mixed in with vegetables, and things growing on top of other plants. And to think I put her in charge of my garden this week...what have I done!

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

@Lostin76

I actually don't think it looks bad. I don't mind having a lot of plants, it is more when people don't have any rhyme or reason to them.

When my mom plants a garden, there's some tomatoes here, some there. Some things are in rows, some things random. There's flowers mixed in with vegetables, and things growing on top of other plants. And to think I put her in charge of my garden this week...what have I done!

That would drive me bonkers. Though I do like to plant marigolds as companions to tomatoes, as they repel some pests.

I normally keep flowers on one end and then veggies and shorter cacti on the other end. I do loosely arrange my flowers by type/height, which means I sometimes move them around as some grow taller.

I hope you don't come back to complete chaos with Mom in charge!

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

You have a really nice space. I could never live in a big city but if I had the scratch, wouldn't mind having a studio as a getaway.  Live in the country, vacation spot in the city. Sounds nice. 

I'm right there with you - a good spot in both the country/city. I love where I live now, but I still think *all the time* about a place in the country to spend a good chunk of my time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I got about an inch of gentle watering rain. You look to have got about 1.5-2". Don't know if you would have heavy wind with it. I didn't. 

I was trying to watch the trees in my front yard on my video doorbell, and it didn't seem like they were moving very much. Not exactly crystal clear quality though!

From what it sounds like, we got about an inch. A town or two north of us was in the 2 inch range.

Kind of a planning for the future post. Peppers are rolling. Getting more and more green tomatoes every day. This week will hit day 60 (July 24) of when I got my tomatoes in so I'm still not expecting anything for a few weeks. 

But to my question. I've enjoyed this whole process so much and was curious (for potted plant growers) what you can grow in August or September after tomato season is over? I don't think I can just wrap up growing just because tomatoes are done. I have 3 3 gallon pots, 2 5 gallon pots and multiple smaller pots. Any tips on easy veggies to grow would be great for the fall.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kind of a planning for the future post. Peppers are rolling. Getting more and more green tomatoes every day. This week will hit day 60 (July 24) of when I got my tomatoes in so I'm still not expecting anything for a few weeks. 

But to my question. I've enjoyed this whole process so much and was curious (for potted plant growers) what you can grow in August or September after tomato season is over? I don't think I can just wrap up growing just because tomatoes are done. I have 3 3 gallon pots, 2 5 gallon pots and multiple smaller pots. Any tips on easy veggies to grow would be great for the fall.

Off the top of my head, I think mostly things that don't fruit. Carrots/beets/radishes, lettucse, and some herbs. I'm sure there are others that are pretty quick growing and don't mind cool temperatures.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Off the top of my head, I think mostly things that don't fruit. Carrots/beets/radishes, lettucse, and some herbs. I'm sure there are others that are pretty quick growing and don't mind cool temperatures.

Thanks. Just watched a tutorial on how to grow garlic as well. Honestly never knew it was that easy. Dude just soaked store bought garlic in water for about a week. Put them in 2 inch hole in pots, 3 inches apart and 4-8 weeks later fresh garlic. Honestly the winters have been so mild in Indy recently (minus Polar Vortex) I'm going to figure out a way to use these pots year round if I can.

Edit-I think the guy meant 4-8 months for garlic not weeks. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Kale, butter lettuce, and really any kind of lettuce, leafy green does amazing in cooler temps of fall (or early spring). I always plant butter lettuce, romaine, and kale in fall to get a crazy harvest before winter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Thank you for the info!

Next time I see one I won’t just take a picture. 

I would actively search for more of them tonight or tomorrow. Where there is one, it seems like there's usually more. They can really do a number on plants, so don't just trust that you'll see them when they pop up.

When we had them on 5 or 6 tomato plants, we were finding close to 10 of them a night. 

Ok gang...I've entered the danger zone of uncertainty. It's been hot/humid,etc....here in Hoosierville. I keep reading that tomato leaves wilt/droop because of excess water or not enough. I'm doing the finger test and feels dry underneath but I've been watering almost daily. My patio faces south so they get sun/heat from around 7am until roughly 4 each day. Maybe the causing the leaves to wilt? Tomatoes still look fresh and just today I have 2 starting to hint of turning reddish color on bottom. Just curious what others thought.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok gang...I've entered the danger zone of uncertainty. It's been hot/humid,etc....here in Hoosierville. I keep reading that tomato leaves wilt/droop because of excess water or not enough. I'm doing the finger test and feels dry underneath but I've been watering almost daily. My patio faces south so they get sun/heat from around 7am until roughly 4 each day. Maybe the causing the leaves to wilt? Tomatoes still look fresh and just today I have 2 starting to hint of turning reddish color on bottom. Just curious what others thought.

I asked the same question to a guy at the farmers market that has a booth there.  His answer was basically, its Indiana so come July or August just expect it to happen. I just pick them off when dead.  

Probably just old or nutrient deficient as the plant produces fruit. I've done everything, even soil testing to find right fertilizer mix and it's always happens to mine. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I asked the same question to a guy at the farmers market that has a booth there.  His answer was basically, its Indiana so come July or August just expect it to happen. I just pick them off when dead.  

Probably just old or nutrient deficient as the plant produces fruit. I've done everything, even soil testing to find right fertilizer mix and it's always happens to mine. 

Thanks. I gave them a little water and it started coming out bottom of pot pretty quickly so I'm going to hold off. We just started getting cloud cover in last hour and the leaves are actually starting to perk up a tad. Maybe as you said just July/August heat and it just happens. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. I gave them a little water and it started coming out bottom of pot pretty quickly so I'm going to hold off. We just started getting cloud cover in last hour and the leaves are actually starting to perk up a tad. Maybe as you said just July/August heat and it just happens. Thanks!

I would just continue to give them fertilizer and take care of them best you can. 

I have a Cherokee purple plant, big beefy heirloom, with 6 on the plant and it's starting to get yellow at the bottom.

Need my stuff to get ripe though, in getting hungry. 

• Like 1