Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

45 minutes ago, rico said:

I am right there with you Bro.  As of today...1, and I repeat 1, bell pepper.  0 jalapenos.  0 cayennes.  Hell, I don't even have fruit on...plenty of blooms?  Sigh.

Time to hit the Farmer's Market for us. It has been an unusual year in so many ways. 

• Like 1

Our peppers and cherry tomatoes are producing really well this year. Our slicer tomatoes not so much. Not many tomatoes so far - only a few on each of our three plants. We finally had one that was ripe and ate it today - boring and almost tasteless. Tasted like a grocery store tomato. Hope this was an outlier, b/c of all the work and watering put into them.

These are what we had to get this year, b/c pickings were slim. I would have been better off with the standard Better Boy of Beefsteaks that are consistent growers with good flavors.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-madame-marmande-hybrid-prod099554.html

My absolute favorite slicer tomatoes are Giant Syrians, but they are always harder to find. Guess I learned my lesson this year.

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Our peppers and cherry tomatoes are producing really well this year. Our slicer tomatoes not so much. Not many tomatoes so far - only a few on each of our three plants. We finally had one that was ripe and ate it today - boring and almost tasteless. Tasted like a grocery store tomato. Hope this was an outlier, b/c of all the work and watering put into them.

These are what we had to get this year, b/c pickings were slim. I would have been better off with the standard Better Boy of Beefsteaks that are consistent growers with good flavors.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-madame-marmande-hybrid-prod099554.html

My absolute favorite slicer tomatoes are Giant Syrians, but they are always harder to find. Guess I learned my lesson this year.

That's too bad. It's always a crapshoot with new kinds of tomatoes, and you never know from year to year what they'll produce. Hopefully they get better as the season goes on.

It seems like a lot of stores carry bad varieties too.  The easy to grow, nice looking ones that taste like nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That's too bad. It's always a crapshoot with new kinds of tomatoes, and you never know from year to year what they'll produce. Hopefully they get better as the season goes on.

It seems like a lot of stores carry bad varieties too.  The easy to grow, nice looking ones that taste like nothing.

It's a bummer, b/c I feel like tomatoes are the plants that we put the most love and time (and so much water) into most cases. Hopefully, you are are right and they get better as the season goes on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Beefsteaks are my favorite tomato. However they take a long growing season. And I did not plant any this year. Due to crazy early Spring weather. Which caused us to have to plant later than normal.

Those are good. I'm partial to brandywines, and they are pretty long too. Just today I saw one of mine is starting to turn pink. The only problem is I almost always pick the first tomato too soon!

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

hey guys and girls.  been remodeling but my wife threw a few plants in.  cucumbers are taking over.  squash is not looking like summer squash and actually in the past 24 hours the plant has taken a nosedive,  pic later.  My tomatoes are starting to produce but look pathetic.  here's a pic.  what is this?

20200731_221437.jpg

20200731_221433.jpg

Looks like blossom end rot which means the plants arent getting enough water.  Been a very dry July. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Looks like blossom end rot which means the plants arent getting enough water.  Been a very dry July. 

makes sense.  we don't live at the house yet and depending greatly on the sporadic downpours for water.  I did read about the calcium and egg shells.  Thinking I may add some mulch if I can find some natural/aged stuff.

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That also means it needs calcium. Work in a little lime and water. Amazing how fast they can turn around.

** oops late to the party. 

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
Answer was already given
  • Like 1

I've got some good and bad news on my garden.

Bad news

I noticed one of my tomatoes had some leaves eaten off and found 5 tomato worms on it! Luckily the plant is pretty big, so it should be alright, but they did do some damage.

Good news

I might have a brandywine tomato to pick today. I've almost avoided looking at it so I won't pick it early, but it is real close!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Bad news

I noticed one of my tomatoes had some leaves eaten off and found 5 tomato worms on it! Luckily the plant is pretty big, so it should be alright, but they did do some damage.

Good news

I might have a brandywine tomato to pick today. I've almost avoided looking at it so I won't pick it early, but it is real close!

I think we have found 17 horn worms on ours thus far this season...little bastards.

22 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Bad news

Good news

Don't keep us in suspense, how did the brandywine do?