Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome work. Spent many of times in that view. Perfect weather to get it done!!

TY and yes it has been beautiful weather here to git-r-dun this week.  Driest corn I have ever helped run.  The second to the last load tested 14.5% for moisture.  Dad took the last one in so I imagine that was even drier.  Either way Pop is ecstatic.  We got about 20 more acres to run tomorrow then it is sit and wait for ice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rico said:

TY and yes it has been beautiful weather here to git-r-dun this week.  Driest corn I have ever helped run.  The second to the last load tested 14.5% for moisture.  Dad took the last one in so I imagine that was even drier.  Either way Pop is ecstatic.  We got about 20 more acres to run tomorrow then it is sit and wait for ice.

It's been a long time since I was in that world but when you say 14.5% moisture (besides being dry) is that historically really, really good?

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Our neighbor's cow came over for a visit just the other day...20190409_155757.thumb.jpg.3c3320676fa6bc862deb42bc6ba065b6.jpg20190413_092830.thumb.jpg.8289fbd0e7b83ddf49ef9f1e1e2339f8.jpg 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Crazy. Helped my stepdad put in a fence on the farm when I was in college so we could raise our own beef. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Crazy. Helped my stepdad put in a fence on the farm when I was in college so we could raise our own beef. 

Had a guy work for me when I was at Bendix, his goal was to provide 90% of his families food off the property. Remember him telling me about the DNR telling him he had illegally built a pond! His reply was “I didn’t build a pond, I made a way for me to get my tractor to the other side of my property”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Had a guy work for me when I was at Bendix, his goal was to provide 90% of his families food off the property. Remember him telling me about the DNR telling him he had illegally built a pond! His reply was “I didn’t build a pond, I made a way for me to get my tractor to the other side of my property”

Lol. I was taught growing up it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.  Pretty sure nobody was going to tell my grandpa what he could or could not do on his property. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My Dad worked at Bendix in Franklin from 1969 to 1986...

I saw recently that their old site off of Hurricane St was being investigated as a polluter that caused a high rate of childhood cancers...

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My Dad worked at Bendix in Franklin from 1975 to 1986...

I saw recently that their old site off of Hurricane St was being investigated as a polluter that caused a high rate of childhood cancers...

I worked in South Bend 1980 to 1984, hopefully we weren’t part of the problem!

• Like 1

I would recommend to all you gardeners to write down the things you did this year that were good or bad.  Sometime soon I'm going to post the thoughts on my garden here so I can look back at it in the spring.  Some of the things I planted I never touched, and some things I wish I had more of.  Have some other ideas for the spring too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I would recommend to all you gardeners to write down the things you did this year that were good or bad.  Sometime soon I'm going to post the thoughts on my garden here so I can look back at it in the spring.  Some of the things I planted I never touched, and some things I wish I had more of.  Have some other ideas for the spring too.

I definitely have to figure out what with wrong with my peppers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Good idea. I really need to do a better job at this - and labeling what plants were what so I’m not surprised by them next Spring when they come back. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Good idea. I really need to do a better job at this - and labeling what plants were what so I’m not surprised by them next Spring when they come back. 

Compost.  Compost.  Compost.  Leaves in the Fall.  Grass clippings in the Summer.  And disposables like banana peals, potato peals, coffee and tea grounds.... the entire year.  In fact.... most Starbucks offer used coffee grounds year long.... for free.... for gardeners. 

My son bought me two compost bins, a few years back.  Work it the entire year over.  But guys.... like Rico.. who have a lot of land can just build an outdoor compost pile.... and work it all year long.

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Compost.  Compost.  Compost.  Leaves in the Fall.  Grass clippings in the Summer.  And disposables like banana peals, potato peals, coffee and tea grounds.... the entire year.  In fact.... most Starbucks offer used coffee grounds year long.... for free.... for gardeners. 

My son bought me two compost bins, a few years back.  Work it the entire year over.  But guys.... like Rico.. who have a lot of land can just build an outdoor compost pile.... and work it all year long.

What kind of compost bins do you have?  I thought about getting one of the outdoor tumbling ones to make turning it over easy.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I know it is probably different for your space, but I leave my garden over the winter and see what I get in the spring.  By the time I was ready to plant this spring, I had a few spices that were huge.  Had a couple other things coming up that I probably could have transplanted if I didn't already have ones growing inside.

43 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

What kind of compost bins do you have?  I thought about getting one of the outdoor tumbling ones to make turning it over easy.

Boxes with lids.  I think the tumbling ones would be good.  I just use a pitch fork to turn the compost in my bins.

I kind of like the bins.... in that they are obtrusive behind my raspberry bushes. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I know it is probably different for your space, but I leave my garden over the winter and see what I get in the spring.  By the time I was ready to plant this spring, I had a few spices that were huge.  Had a couple other things coming up that I probably could have transplanted if I didn't already have ones growing inside.

That’s pretty much the same for me. I do rip out the tomatoes, peppers, and annual flowers. But everything else stays over the winter and I’m always pleasantly surprised to see the rosemary, lavender, and salvias coming back so strong in Spring.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, milehiiu said:

Boxes with lids.  I think the tumbling ones would be good.  I just use a pitch fork to turn the compost in my bins.

I kind of like the bins.... in that they are obtrusive behind my raspberry bushes. 

I had a tumbling one when I lived in town years ago.  Big believer in compost.  I don't do it anymore now that I am back at the ranch as the soil is so much better.