Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anybody ever grow tomatillos? I can buy them almost anywhere around here, but never saw them up north...

Love the Salsa Verde and Chicken Pozole Soup you can make with them...

I grew some last year, but they didn't amount to anything. There were a ton of tomatillos, but they would all fall off before they got very big. Biggest one I had was maybe golf ball size, but most never made it nearly that big. Not sure if I was too far north for them to grow well.

Easy to grow though. A lot like a tomato. Grew up through the cage, and gets a ton of fruit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I grew some last year, but they didn't amount to anything. There were a ton of tomatillos, but they would all fall off before they got very big. Biggest one I had was maybe golf ball size, but most never made it nearly that big. Not sure if I was too far north for them to grow well.

Easy to grow though. A lot like a tomato. Grew up through the cage, and gets a ton of fruit.

I've tried twice and have had a similar result. The plants grow well and produce alot of fruit but they fall off too early. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Anybody ever grow tomatillos? I can buy them almost anywhere around here, but never saw them up north...

Being around Bloomington I can buy them at a few places.  Kroger, Fresh Thyme, the local CO-OP. Green sauce is great. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

I know we discussed tomato varieties in this thread. There is one you grow, if I remember correctly is your favorite.  I cant think of the name and I doubt I could go back and find it in this thread. Would like to try it if you can help me out. 

This might be the one you're looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yes. Giant Syrian. Thanks, man. 

Oh man, those are the one and they are incredible. I went with Brandywine Pink for this year, but I will never pass up Giant Syrians if I see them available. They seem to be mostly only available as seeds the last couple of years and not starts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh man, those are the one and they are incredible. I went with Brandywine Pink for this year, but I will never pass up Giant Syrians if I see them available. They seem to be mostly only available as seeds the last couple of years and not starts. 

Ordering some seeds tomorrow.  First time growing from seeds myself.

Only other times were a gradeschool project and helping my stepdad grow marijuana. My handicap uncle would drive us out to some land our family owned and my stepdad would get out and tell me he was planting carrots. Lol. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Only other times were a gradeschool project and helping my stepdad grow marijuana. My handicap uncle would drive us out to some land our family owned and my stepdad would get out and tell me he was planting carrots. Lol. 

That's exciting! I've grown most of my garden from seed the last couple years. You have so many more options than you'd have otherwise.

Not sure where to buy "carrots" though!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't but know several who do. It's funny you bring that up because they are awesome for salsa...but for some reason they never took off in popularity around here.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't but know several who do. It's funny you bring that up because they are awesome for salsa...but for some reason they never took off in popularity around here.

Down here, every Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant gives you free chips and salsa. You usually have to ask for the green, but it is awesome. Our favorite Mexican place, Guadalajara Hacienda, has the best...

And if you've never had Chicken Verde Pozole Soup, it's delicious...

I make it occasionally, using this recipe

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Down here, every Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurant gives you free chips and salsa. You usually have to ask for the green, but it is awesome. Our favorite Mexican place, Guadalajara Hacienda, has the best...

And if you've never had Chicken Verde Pozole Soup, it's delicious...

I make it occasionally, using this recipe

That looks really good. My problem with Mexican or Tex-Mex is always the same. Portion control. I don't have any. Can eat any variety of Mexican food all day any day. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

It’s really satisfying growing from seeds and you do have a lot more variety to choose from. We just don’t have the space to dedicate to it here. 

My old man used to grow weed in our backyard - was semi-hidden by the grapevines and rabbit hutches. Then he switched over to an entire indoor hydroponic system with big tech lights and exhaust fans. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s really satisfying growing from seeds and you do have a lot more variety to choose from. We just don’t have the space to dedicate to it here. 

My old man used to grow weed in our backyard - was semi-hidden by the grapevines and rabbit hutches. Then he switched over to an entire indoor hydroponic system with big tech lights and exhaust fans. 

More info on this topic please.....

Ummm....asking for a friend.

thumbs up.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This is about as close to sharing family information as I'll get but let's just say my mothers sister who lives here in town (Carmel) has been growing her own for awhile. She even makes it into butter or something like that. Helps her with her ADD and pains as she calls it....again just for example sake. 

Funniest part is her hood is one of the areas most well known country clubs and she just grows it in plain view. 6 huge tomato plants, dozens of flowers and 3-4 different hybrids of the good stuff. All just sitting there on one side of the house.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is about as close to sharing family information as I'll get but let's just say my mothers sister who lives here in town (Carmel) has been growing her own for awhile. She even makes it into butter or something like that. Helps her with her ADD and pains as she calls it....again just for example sake. 

Funniest part is her hood is one of the areas most well known country clubs and she just grows it in plain view. 6 huge tomato plants, dozens of flowers and 3-4 different hybrids of the good stuff. All just sitting there on one side of the house.

If anybody asks, she can says she's growing the herbs for her pot roast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That’s pretty awesome. Good for her. I may be biased, but it’s certainly not harming anyone for her to grow her own. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

My stepdad would go to save a lot and get the cardboard flats that 48 tin cans would come on and probably have a 100+ starts that we would go plant in the woods. He smoked it, my dad did too. But how many 7 year olds help their stepdad plant weed. We were outlaws.  

Both of them asked me to pee in a cup. It wasnt until high school health class when I put it all together.  Whatever.  Weed is just a plant. 

• Like 3