Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

I already have a ton of seeds sprouting. Surprised so many are coming up this quick. 4 days seems pretty quick to have probably 75% of them up already.

2 years ago by the time things were ready to plant outside, my plants were way better than any in stores. Last year mine were worse. Hoping to regain the magic this year!

• Like 4

Planted some things today and it felt great. Our perennials are really looking good - I always forget how quickly everything turns green and starts growing once the temps start creeping up. 

Planted some sage, basil, and catnip today. Our rosemary always does great from year to year, but basil and sage is almost like an annual around here. The winter seems pretty tough on them. 

Also planted a new calamintha nepeta plant, which is probably my favorite smallish perennial. It’s got an insane amount of small white flowers and when you crush the leaves, it has the most intense mint smell. Also mason bees go insane over it. For the last few years, I’ve had a plant right between my chair and our “drinks table.” If I’m out there during daylight hours in my chair, I can often feel the bees buzzing against my arm.  Mason bees don’t really sting for the most part. 

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/calamintha-nepeta-2021-perennial-of-the-year

• Like 3

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

You like it? I might have to try it sometime.

Yeah, it was pretty good...Different...I'm not real big on ultra spicy stuff, but it at least had some flavor to go along with the heat...

Those people in Full Moon slathered everything with that stuff...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, it was pretty good...Different...I'm not real big on ultra spicy stuff, but it at least had some flavor to go along with the heat...

Those people in Full Moon slathered everything with that stuff...

Yeah...I like some heat in my chili/wings/salsa etc. but a good friend of mine eats the hottest hot wings and I just didn't get that. I could eat them but all I could taste was the heat...and I love lots of different kinds of peppers like pablanos and jalapenos. It's been years since I ate those ultra hot wings though...my stomach would probably explode now if I tried them ha.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, Reacher said:

Fertilized my lawn and tress / shrubs this weekend. 

My lawn was fertilized a couple of weeks ago and man did the grass take off! I had to get out the lawn mower yesterday for the first cut of the year, Didn't know if the mower would start or not, but it fired right up.

Love those Honda mowers.....

23 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My lawn was fertilized a couple of weeks ago and man did the grass take off! I had to get out the lawn mower yesterday for the first cut of the year, Didn't know if the mower would start or not, but it fired right up.

Ya really didn’t have to tell me that!  Now I am gonna have to mow.  Thanks. 👍

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My grass is really greening up. I did my first mow last weekend. The grass didn't really need it, it was more to clean up a lot of the dead leaves and debris. This weekend the grass will need cut.

My John Deere started right up. It has the EZ Change oil change system which is super convenient although pricey at $40.