Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Speaking of peppers... @Leathernecks success with peppers last year inspired me to grow more of them last year. We just grew green peppers last season. We have grown pablanos in the past...and I am thinking of adding some jalapenos this year as well.

I strongly recommend jalapeños, and making candied jalapeños. I'm still eating on my last jar from last year. They're so good. 

I have a couple different hotness jalapeños this year and will try to mix that up some. I have one variety of jalapeño that is no heat. Could be interesting candied.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I strongly recommend jalapeños, and making candied jalapeños. I'm still eating on my last jar from last year. They're so good. 

I have a couple different hotness jalapeños this year and will try to mix that up some. I have one variety of jalapeño that is no heat. Could be interesting candied.

Yeah I want to try 2-3 different pepper plants this year (besides green peppers). Your haul from last year looked amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah I want to try 2-3 different pepper plants this year (besides green peppers). Your haul from last year looked amazing.

Thanks! It was really fun to try. It was nice to be able to pickle, can, and dry a bunch of peppers to have during the winter. I never quite got my pepperoncini peppers right, so I need to try some new recipes this year.

Giving up on banana peppers. Just never use then for anything. Going to plant a couple different kinds of hot peppers that I can dry and make into a powder.

Last year was the first year I really got into growing peppers. Really enjoyed it!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks! It was really fun to try. It was nice to be able to pickle, can, and dry a bunch of peppers to have during the winter. I never quite got my pepperoncini peppers right, so I need to try some new recipes this year.

Giving up on banana peppers. Just never use then for anything. Going to plant a couple different kinds of hot peppers that I can dry and make into a powder.

Last year was the first year I really got into growing peppers. Really enjoyed it!

Pepperoncini peppers are great too. Can't wait to see how everyone does this year...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

You were the king of the peppers last year! I also remember that most of us had some ho hum yields on tomatoes and other veggies, hope that’s not the case this year. I switched up my slicer tomatoes b/c last year’s variety were pretty meh. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rico said:

@Leathernecksand the rest of you gardeners.  With that absolutely pitiful pepper crop I raised last year, you would have never have known I am a farm boy.  I need to get that sh*t straightened out this year or my Grandparents are gonna rise from their grave and want their house back.

Just blame it on their curse. 

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

Speaking of peppers... @Leathernecks success with peppers last year inspired me to grow more of them last year. We just grew green peppers last season. We have grown pablanos in the past...and I am thinking of adding some jalapenos this year as well.

I would recommend growing habanero peppers as well. They aren't as spicy as you would think and make great hot sauces. 

The thing about habaneros is you can pick them in three stages. Yellow,orange,red.  I usually pick the at a deep Orange color. Spicy and a little sweet but habaneros have a bit of a smokiness flavor too. 

Made a mango habanero wing sauce with maple syrup last year that is now a staple. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

You were the king of the peppers last year! I also remember that most of us had some ho hum yields on tomatoes and other veggies, hope that’s not the case this year. I switched up my slicer tomatoes b/c last year’s variety were pretty meh. 

I'm still waiting on my giant Syrian tomato seeds. Been 2 weeks. Ugh!  But it isnt even April and have some freezing nights in the forecast. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm still waiting on my giant Syrian tomato seeds. Been 2 weeks. Ugh!  But it isnt even April and have some freezing nights in the forecast. 

I forgot you ordered those! Am jealous. Hopefully you receive soon. I couldn’t find any starts of those and my adolescent cat would have a field day with seedlings if I tried to raise them in our window. 

19 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Didn't know that. Looked it up, and it apparently has to do with some disease they're an intermediary for. They can get it and easily transmit it to white pines.

Yeah, Tammy bought a couple bushes for me to plant.  It was marked right on the packing.  

Put another row of onions in the garden y-day as well as mowing my yard.  I am really thinking about planting some green beans...damned if I do, damned if I don't.

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Didn't know that. Looked it up, and it apparently has to do with some disease they're an intermediary for. They can get it and easily transmit it to white pines.

I planted a white pine last weekend in my back yard. Hope there aren't any gooseberries around!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The seedlings are coming along well! Might try to get them in their larger pots in the next week or two.

20210405_185513.jpg

My aunt is kind of my garden tour guide and we've had the seedlings going for a few weeks. She's bent on transferring around 4/25. She says that should be last frost chances. Last year I didn't get in until race weekend so if I get them in pots/ground anytime in month of April I'll be happy.

5 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah, Tammy bought a couple bushes for me to plant.  It was marked right on the packing.  

Put another row of onions in the garden y-day as well as mowing my yard.  I am really thinking about planting some green beans...damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I'm going to throw some seeds in the ground in the next couple days. Might get lucky and stay warm enough to get them to grow. A couple seeds are really cheap, so only out a few cents if it doesn't work. If it does work, I won't have to worry about transplanting as many things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My aunt is kind of my garden tour guide and we've had the seedlings going for a few weeks. She's bent on transferring around 4/25. She says that should be last frost chances. Last year I didn't get in until race weekend so if I get them in pots/ground anytime in month of April I'll be happy.

I was thinking the average last frost day was around the 25th, but I could be wrong.  I usually shoot for having things ready around April 20th.  That way if the extended forecast looks good, I can start transplanting.  If not, I can usually keep them in for another couple weeks and be alright.  I think I was about a week late on getting my seeds started this year.  I don't think they'll be ready by the 20th, but by the end of the month, mine should be ready to go.

Last year was rough.  I started to set my pots outside for a few hours in mid April, and then things got cold and I had to bring them all back in for a few weeks.  Really set my tomatoes and peppers back.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again this year.  I'm worried with things being so nice right now that it could get cold in a couple weeks.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Marijuana sprouts?  Hmmm

My stepdad always told me those gallon bags in the freezer was oregano.  

Funny story, I have always liked to cook. So one dinner, I was maybe 13-14 yrs old, I made spaghetti for the parents and my 2 sisters. What to use as a garnish? Oregano, so yeah I garnished my meal with freezer weed and probably got my family high. 

Not my fault.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone else do sprouts?  I have a couple of these sprouting jars I keep in rotation. So far have only done broccoli sprouts. Really good addition to salads. 

20210407_201746.jpg

I do them every once in a while.  I actually have that exact jar.  I traded up for a tiered setup that allows more varieties to be grown at once.  I would highly recommend it if you get more into doing different kinds of sprouts.  It is really fun to try different varieties and be able to mix them together.

• Like 1