Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

On 4/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, Leathernecks said:

I was thinking the average last frost day was around the 25th, but I could be wrong.  I usually shoot for having things ready around April 20th.  That way if the extended forecast looks good, I can start transplanting.  If not, I can usually keep them in for another couple weeks and be alright.  I think I was about a week late on getting my seeds started this year.  I don't think they'll be ready by the 20th, but by the end of the month, mine should be ready to go.

Last year was rough.  I started to set my pots outside for a few hours in mid April, and then things got cold and I had to bring them all back in for a few weeks.  Really set my tomatoes and peppers back.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again this year.  I'm worried with things being so nice right now that it could get cold in a couple weeks.

I took our all of our cacti outside today, we’ve got nothing but low 50s and high 40s in the forecast for next ten days, so I went ahead and moved them out. They are hardier than we give them credit for. I’ll wait another week or two to move tomatoes and peppers out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would recommend a medium/high setting. Don't scalp it ha.

If you had a rider I would recommend you come practice on my property a few times first so you don't mess up your yard. :coffee:

Haha okay I'll do a high setting. This is my first grass-cut at my new house, brand new mower, learning this stuff on the fly. Knew I'd find good input here. 💪😎🍻

Next step will be figuring out some landscaping stuff to do in the backyard. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Haha okay I'll do a high setting. This is my first grass-cut at my new house, brand new mower, learning this stuff on the fly. Knew I'd find good input here. 💪😎🍻

Next step will be figuring out some landscaping stuff to do in the backyard. 

My advice to you is to make you stay properly hydrated by drinking lots of beer while working outside. Safety first.

• Like 2

When I was in 6th grade I wanted my own computer.  So my stepdad said he would pay for my first ad in the paper and drive me around to mow yards using his stuff. By year 2 I had made enough to have all my own gear. At 16 I could drive and had a full blown business.  For 6 years I was making bank and got too busy so gave all my clients to a friend 70/30. He did the work and I got 30%  he was my best friend so gave hime a good deal. 

• Like 3

On 4/12/2021 at 6:57 PM, bronkonagurski said:

What grass cutting height do you all use for mowing? Bought my first mower over the weekend and will be doing my first cut of the season tomorrow. 

I mow shorter at the very beginning and end of the year. Higher setting during dry periods and very hot weather. I have mowed 4x this year and will now raise it a notch for my next mow since the grass is so thick and growing faster. Don't want to cut to short when hot and or dry as it will burn out. You want the sun to get through early in the year to help stimulate growth. For me, this generally means a range of 3-4" as marked by the settings on my tractor. You also don't want to chop off a large amount at once as it will stress the grass. Unfortunately, that means mowing up to every 3-4 days for a month during the spring when the grass is really growing. If I see rain coming in the next day in the summertime, I will lower a notch as I know it will not get burned. Once you get going, you should see what looks good and what works best for you. Good luck!

On 4/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, mrflynn03 said:

When I was in 6th grade I wanted my own computer.  So my stepdad said he would pay for my first ad in the paper and drive me around to mow yards using his stuff. By year 2 I had made enough to have all my own gear. At 16 I could drive and had a full blown business.  For 6 years I was making bank and got too busy so gave all my clients to a friend 70/30. He did the work and I got 30%  he was my best friend so gave hime a good deal. 

I made some good $ mowing and shoveling as a kid- especially when I was too young get a real job (stupid child protection laws) but never to the extent you did.

Heads up for people in Midwest. Tuesday night into Wednesday there is forecasted frost as well as possible snow too. Protect those plants that are sensitive. 

It's funny I mentioned this a couple ages ago. My aunt always holds off until 4/25 to get things in ground and avoid frost....looks like her predictor was on point this year.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Heads up for people in Midwest. Tuesday night into Wednesday there is forecasted frost as well as possible snow too. Protect those plants that are sensitive. 

It's funny I mentioned this a couple ages ago. My aunt always holds off until 4/25 to get things in ground and avoid frost....looks like her predictor was on point this year.

My wife found out the hard way. Lost a tomato plant. Have the rest covered during nights now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This kind of event makes me glad that we are planting in containers and pots. Easy to move inside if we get a frost/near frost event. So far in the clear on the East Coast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

This kind of event makes me glad that we are planting in containers and pots. Easy to move inside if we get a frost/near frost event. So far in the clear on the East Coast. 

It's going to be close for Indy area on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. I know the further North folks should expect snow. Of course it will be 60's 24 hours later. I'm with you on pots. Easy to maneuver during the early part of growing.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For any of our Texas brethren on here. Just saw this photo online. Is this real? Someone said East Texas or South of Dallas. 

bluebonnets.jpg

Probably...Might be "The Hill Country." Beautiful around there...Essentially west of Houston, south of Dallas, and North of San Antonio...My youngest lives in Kyle which is in that region. The drive over is very scenic...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Probably...Might be "The Hill Country." Beautiful around there...Essentially west of Houston, south of Dallas, and North of San Antonio...My youngest lives in Kyle which is in that region. The drive over is very scenic...

This is one of those photos where I have to eventually see it with my own eyes. My buddies moved to Dallas just before Covid hit...but I'm going to have to get down for a visit and see this stuff. Unreal to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is one of those photos where I have to eventually see it with my own eyes. My buddies moved to Dallas just before Covid hit...but I'm going to have to get down for a visit and see this stuff. Unreal to me.

If you get down there, along with being pretty country, it is rife will killer Texas BBQ places...Franklin's is the most famous, but there are plenty of them...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If you get down there, along with being pretty country, it is rife will killer Texas BBQ places...Franklin's is the most famous, but there are plenty of them...

My neighbors just got back from a two week trip to Texas. I had to bring him over a UPS package that we held for them until they got back yesterday and he was telling me about some BBQ place he went to that had the best he ever had. He also brought me back some sauce I will take a pic of and put it in the other thread when I have a chance...he said you can only get it at their location.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We ran a marathon in Austin and it was probably one of my favorite cities we’ve visited. I *think* it’s near Texas Hill Country, or at least it felt like it for a few big hills. That photo reminds me of the lavender fields in France. Crazy beautiful. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We ran a marathon in Austin and it was probably one of my favorite cities we’ve visited. I *think* it’s near Texas Hill Country, or at least it felt like it for a few big hills. That photo reminds me of the lavender fields in France. Crazy beautiful. 

Oh yeah, Austin is within The Hill Country on the very eastern edge...a lot of that great BBQ is between Austin and San Antonio...

Screenshot_20210418-183458.thumb.png.15987ebea43a14ba0587461489ad837c.png

• Like 1