Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok Gang. Is Basil as easy as it sounds? I just picked up a few and basically they said transfer plant into pot. When a flower appears pinch it so it continues to grow and when pruning you go 1/4 inch above what they call the node? Will it keep producing all summer?

Also...any hibiscus growers on here? Any advice or tips? 

Decided to hold off on transferring tomato/pepper plants until next weekend. 

we grow basil in a planter as well and it grows easy and fast. You shouldn't have any problems with it producing all season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

we grow basil in a planter as well and it grows easy and fast. You shouldn't have any problems with it producing all season.

Thanks! That's what it seems like. Watched a few pinching/pruning videos last night. Seems easy which are famous last words in the gardening game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! That's what it seems like. Watched a few pinching/pruning videos last night. Seems easy which are famous last words in the gardening game.

Basil grows so fast that it’s hard to keep in front of it. We grow in planters and it does well, but doesn’t last through the winter like rosemary does for us. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rico said:

Calling for frost the next couple of days in the Fort Wayne area.

Was all ready to transfer this weekend. Not doing it again until maybe later this week. Lows in the 39-42 range each of the next 4-5 days here in Indy. As much as I want to get them going I'm not risking killing the plants. Getting antsy though.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:03 AM, Seeking6 said:

Was all ready to transfer this weekend. Not doing it again until maybe later this week. Lows in the 39-42 range each of the next 4-5 days here in Indy. As much as I want to get them going I'm not risking killing the plants. Getting antsy though.

Frost on the ground here this morn...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

And lows the next 3 nights for me are 36, 34, and 37. Glad I didn't try to plant anything early this year.

Wow, nothing like that here yet. I’ve got everything outside already, so hoping we don’t have that later this week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Wow, nothing like that here yet. I’ve got everything outside already, so hoping we don’t have that later this week. 

Hell, they were showing snow falling north of me on the news this morning up closer to the Michigan state line.  But you better keep an eye on that front...it was heading your way.

On another note I might have to break down and buy a pull behind spreader.  I just got done spreading some weed and feed with my push one.  I am severely out of shape.  Sweating my arsz off in 40 degree weather pushing it around.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

And lows the next 3 nights for me are 36, 34, and 37. Glad I didn't try to plant anything early this year.

2nd coldest Mother's Day ever here in Indy. Looking at forecast I think we are good to go starting this Thursday/Friday. Long term temps jump to near 80 early next week so mine are going in this weekend.

Went a little crazy on the totally tomatoes website this year. Not sure how I'm going to have room for all of these.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2nd coldest Mother's Day ever here in Indy. Looking at forecast I think we are good to go starting this Thursday/Friday. Long term temps jump to near 80 early next week so mine are going in this weekend.

Went a little crazy on the totally tomatoes website this year. Not sure how I'm going to have room for all of these.

My only worry is soil temps.  I wonder if the soil is still going to be pretty cold this weekend.  I've never planted right after a cold stretch like this in May, so I'm really not sure if that would bother the plants at all or if they'd be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

Hell, they were showing snow falling north of me on the news this morning up closer to the Michigan state line.  But you better keep an eye on that front...it was heading your way.

On another note I might have to break down and buy a pull behind spreader.  I just got done spreading some weed and feed with my push one.  I am severely out of shape.  Sweating my arsz off in 40 degree weather pushing it around.  

I put down my fertilizer Sat am at 40 degress and worked up a good sweat as well. I used to have a tow behind and those are nice! #$ forecast for tonight and tomorrow and then we are good to go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

My only worry is soil temps.  I wonder if the soil is still going to be pretty cold this weekend.  I've never planted right after a cold stretch like this in May, so I'm really not sure if that would bother the plants at all or if they'd be fine.

We do our customary weird spring here in Indy. Stretches of 70's for a few weeks in late March early April....get all excited and we go back to this stretch of 60 and 40 that pisses everyone off. Soil should be warm...at least it is around here but certainly something to consider. Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rico said:

I feel like we usually get what you guys get about 4-7 days later. 

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

What did you plant? Inquiring minds want to know!

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Depending on what space you have to work with, I plant all my tomatoes in new bags of topsoil every year because my garden is contaminated with Ralstonia solanacearum which causes bacterial wilt in tomato plants. 

Have had good results.  I cut each side of the bag corner to corner, an X shape patter and fold the flaps under. Kinda like origami. Plant tomato. Takes up little space and soil is reusable.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

This cold weather isnt helping my giant Syrians. I have 3 starts about 3 inches tall. I'm hoping at least 1 takes off. Been relying on mother nature because I'm in the process of overhauling my house so no grow light. Been a learning experience though. 

I’ve found that they won’t grow much until the weather heats up, but as long as it’s not a bad cold snap they should be fine.  My Brandywine Pinks are about 2-3 feet tall already. Gets pretty hot where we have them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Have a long list of tomatoes, peppers.....but still waiting to plant until this weekend. Frost tonight so they are still inside. 

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Here's page 1...have another page too but this is where I'm starting at.

IMG_2518.jpg

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's page 1...have another page too but this is where I'm starting at.

IMG_2518.jpg

I dig your organization! I really need to start keeping track of what I plant and when. Our terrace is a constantly evolving thing, but I try to keep the tomatoes and peppers in check. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lostin76 said:

I dig your organization! I really need to start keeping track of what I plant and when. Our terrace is a constantly evolving thing, but I try to keep the tomatoes and peppers in check. 

First year for righting things down. Not sure if it's Covid brain or what but if I can right it down and organize the plants....it helps me. The rest is up to Mother Nature.