Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Just a reminder when planting tomatoes, plant them deep. You can plant them deep and only leave to top stems exposed.  

I usually plant 2-3 stems deep, about 6 inches, when I remember to. 

Great tip, I normally do that when I plant starts. And I always try to pinch off the lower leaves so they won’t get water from the soil splashed onto them. Also gives them some room to breathe down there!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My garden is almost complete.  Planted 5 tomato plants yesterday.  Just waiting on my tomatoes from seed to be ready to transplant.  Probably have 7 or 8 tomato plants this year. 

Seems like I plant too many or not enough...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Will be getting a new mailbox this year. I have too many projects right now so this is low on my list. Laugh all you want but it works. I may be a redneck.

20210520_180607.jpg

Ever think about putting a flower in the other hole of that block?

22 minutes ago, rico said:

Ever think about putting a flower in the other hole of that block?

Not a bad idea. 

I have about $10,000 worth of 2x4s, 2x6s and 4x4s hanging around.  You know lumber prices these days. Hell, may even put my deck up for sale. 

Surely could afford a flower after that.😁

And maybe a gallon of gas. LOL

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had to skip this year for my garden, so I'll have to just watch everybody else's progress. I'm already jealous! My seeds didn't do very well, and I've been needing to tear up and level my whole yard, so I figured I might as well just do it all this year.

My house is a former foreclosure that was literally a jungle, so I don't really have any grass growing. This will give me a chance to finally get some grass in there after 5 years of weeds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rico said:

No...we had a good soaker last Friday and another one yesterday.  But I was.

Just thought it looked a little dry and depending on when that picture was taken it may have been close.  

I have grass seed down from getting new concrete and have been chasing water hoses and rain showers all week.  Yesterday bought me 2 days.  

Edit.  Im trying to do some cardio.  That was a weird auto correct for looked a little dry 

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

All of this rain lately is turning our terrace into a jungle. My tomatoes seem like they are a bit ahead of schedule and peppers are doing okay. I like June, since a lot of the early summer flowers are starting to pop. 

It’s a good thing my wife and I are both pretty thin, b/c the path through to our east side seating area is already pretty small.

My wife wanted some sunflowers this year, so I threw out some seeds a couple of months ago. They are already three feet tall. 

F63387FF-ACF9-4582-B798-9A38A019BF26.jpeg

643062E6-7466-49C0-AF0A-B8E63CE701BD.jpeg

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

All of this rain lately is turning our terrace into a jungle. My tomatoes seem like they are a bit ahead of schedule and peppers are doing okay. I like June, since a lot of the early summer flowers are starting to pop. 

It’s a good thing my wife and I are both pretty thin, b/c the path through to our east side seating area is already pretty small.

My wife wanted some sunflowers this year, so I threw out some seeds a couple of months ago. They are already three feet tall. 

F63387FF-ACF9-4582-B798-9A38A019BF26.jpeg

643062E6-7466-49C0-AF0A-B8E63CE701BD.jpeg

Every time you show your garden I think of the saying...

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the boy…

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rico said:

Every time you show your garden I think of the saying...

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the boy…

That is 100% true, my friend. You put me in the biggest city in the US and I still gotta plant and grow stuff. It’s the reason, we won’t leave this tiny box apt, while we are here in Brooklyn. Tiny box to live in, but good south-facing outdoor space on the top floor. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, Leathernecks said:

I had to skip this year for my garden, so I'll have to just watch everybody else's progress. I'm already jealous! My seeds didn't do very well, and I've been needing to tear up and level my whole yard, so I figured I might as well just do it all this year.

My house is a former foreclosure that was literally a jungle, so I don't really have any grass growing. This will give me a chance to finally get some grass in there after 5 years of weeds.

Don't feel too bad...I am right there with you. It is disappointing, but I will have to live vicariously through other HSN gardening members this season. We just have so much going on this spring/summer there is no way we can do it. Crazy times. Good luck leveling your yard...I still want to see pics of your completed basement house project once you are all done.

• Like 1

My aunt started seeds in her basement early this year. She gave me two what she calls 4th of July tomato plants. I transferred into pots and must admit she might be right. 18 inches already and with the heat/humidity coming there is a very good chance I'll have them by the 4th.

Putting in a few more cherry tomato plants today. First round of basil harvest tonight for pesto.

My biggest problem right now is my hibiscus. Apparently I'm not threading the needle of water/sun. Yellow leaves starting to pop up which means more than enough water/sun or not enough. Not sure which side of that problem I'm on. 

PS for the Central Indiana folks on here. I don't know how they do it but My Dad's Sweet Corn should be good to go by July 1st as well. 

• Like 1