Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can I still do zucchini? This acid reflux stuff is killing me (zucchine/squash is great for it) and with what I just spent for 4 zucchini's at the store I'd like to know if I can still grow on my own?

Winter squash should be good to go. Just getting ready to plant butternut squash seeds here. 

If you have a Kroger close by check them out for plants. Was in Bloomington yesterday and Kroger had tons of plants still. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Winter squash should be good to go. Just getting ready to plant butternut squash seeds here. 

If you have a Kroger close by check them out for plants. Was in Bloomington yesterday and Kroger had tons of plants still. 

Thanks. Going to give them a go. Didn't know they were only 50-60 days start to finish. Plenty of time to get those in. 

• Like 1

I’ll have to snap some pics tomorrow, but I never appreciated how hard it is to grow grass. And no, not kind. 

We moved into a new house in December, and the builder had the great idea to seed/straw the yard in friggin November. And our lot has a pretty good slope to it. Yep, you can imagine how that turned out. 

So far this spring, I’ve installed downspouts on all the gutters that make their way into about 150’ of French drains, brought in 30 cubic yards of fill dirt to go halfway level things out, tilled the entire yard and put down new seed. 

Oh and at the wife’s behest, planted a bunch of flowers and $&!&. Because apparently that stuff is important. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, rico said:

What all ya got in there Jax?

3 Tomatoe plants,several different types of pepper plants,zucchini, califlower,cucumbers,cantaloupe, honey dew,watermelon, sweet corn, red and yellow potatoes  and a partridge in a pear tree!

Edited by HoosierJax
  • Like 4

On 6/11/2021 at 10:22 PM, Zlinedavid said:

I’ll have to snap some pics tomorrow, but I never appreciated how hard it is to grow grass. And no, not kind. 

We moved into a new house in December, and the builder had the great idea to seed/straw the yard in friggin November. And our lot has a pretty good slope to it. Yep, you can imagine how that turned out. 

So far this spring, I’ve installed downspouts on all the gutters that make their way into about 150’ of French drains, brought in 30 cubic yards of fill dirt to go halfway level things out, tilled the entire yard and put down new seed. 

Oh and at the wife’s behest, planted a bunch of flowers and $&!&. Because apparently that stuff is important. 🤣

Grass is getting there. Still extremely patchy, hence the seed mats. 

Nothing of what you see yard wise was there in March. The builders landscaping was crap and half dead, and only in the front. Maybe 10% of the yard was grass. 

Built the small retaining wall, added the lighting, dug in all the beds in the back of the house, used enough mulch to equal a small African nations GDP. 

I’ve got a bunch of sprinklers running on two 2 zone timers. Thinking about biting the bullet and doing an irrigation system next year, especially since I already have  the 1/2” hose and fittings.

54C319AD-9895-44AF-8BB4-52FDAF6C6025.jpeg

03A0D62E-F4CB-4FE8-87C3-D8225506651E.jpeg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Grass is getting there. Still extremely patchy, hence the seed mats. 

Nothing of what you see yard wise was there in March. The builders landscaping was crap and half dead, and only in the front. Maybe 10% of the yard was grass. 

Built the small retaining wall, added the lighting, dug in all the beds in the back of the house, used enough mulch to equal a small African nations GDP. 

I’ve got a bunch of sprinklers running on two 2 zone timers. Thinking about biting the bullet and doing an irrigation system next year, especially since I already have  the 1/2” hose and fittings.

54C319AD-9895-44AF-8BB4-52FDAF6C6025.jpeg

03A0D62E-F4CB-4FE8-87C3-D8225506651E.jpeg

If you want green grass, a sprinkler system is a must. Had one at my last house. New house doesn't and now I'm moving sprinklers around in a losing battle. I'd be happy keeping the front green and letting the back go dormant. Wife wants every last corner green. 

I like your backyard patio. Ever think about painting your concrete walls? You could even hang some pictures or mount (temporary or permanently) a TV there. There is also something you can mount under your deck so you don't get dripped on as much- https://plasticinehouse.com/under-deck-drainage-system/

8 hours ago, Reacher said:

If you want green grass, a sprinkler system is a must. Had one at my last house. New house doesn't and now I'm moving sprinklers around in a losing battle. I'd be happy keeping the front green and letting the back go dormant. Wife wants every last corner green. 

I like your backyard patio. Ever think about painting your concrete walls? You could even hang some pictures or mount (temporary or permanently) a TV there. There is also something you can mount under your deck so you don't get dripped on as much- https://plasticinehouse.com/under-deck-drainage-system/

Thanks! The builder only put a small bit of concrete at the base of the stairs and outside the door. We had the entire area under the deck poured and the retaining wall built. Some of the only stuff I haven’t done myself…lol. 

Actually, I have two gallons of concrete paint awaiting use. And thought about a TV, but to be honest, it’d never get turned on. The last time I turned a TV on was to watch the 500, and I think the time before that was the Super Bowl. 99% of the time a TV is on anywhere in our house, it’s likely the kids playing video games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've got a U-pick your own berries place about 20 mins from the house. 

Got these today. Blueberries, black and red raspberries.

They have blackberries too but still a week or 2 out. 

20210622_184450.jpg

We need a pic of your lips, just to keep you honest ! There wasn't any red'ish stain on them while picking was there? :)

Done some gardening this afternoon.  Most early stuff is out. Planted a butternut squash and muskmellon(new one for me).  Got my Giant Syrians in. Since I have alot more time this year, will keep a rotation of greens,carrots and beets going. Probably my best garden year yet.

Resized952021062395182131(1).jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Done some gardening this afternoon.  Most early stuff is out. Planted a butternut squash and muskmellon(new one for me).  Got my Giant Syrians in. Since I have alot more time this year, will keep a rotation of greens,carrots and beets going. Probably my best garden year yet.

Resized952021062395182131(1).jpg

Looks great! For some reason my seeds to pots are doing phenomenal this year. I've got about 40 blossoms on tomato and peppers already with around 10 green tomatoes forming. Decided to try zucchini this year as well. Still waiting for them to take form.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Looks great! For some reason my seeds to pots are doing phenomenal this year. I've got about 40 blossoms on tomato and peppers already with around 10 green tomatoes forming. Decided to try zucchini this year as well. Still waiting for them to take form.

Good deal!  I plan on planting a couple more peppers tomorrow since I have the space. Was at Home Depot today and they still have alot of plants, either flowering or producing fruit. 

Alot of what I did today was plant seeds in rows I already harvested.  Having 4 days off a week gives me time to be a part time farmer!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good deal!  I plan on planting a couple more peppers tomorrow since I have the space. Was at Home Depot today and they still have alot of plants, either flowering or producing fruit. 

Alot of what I did today was plant seeds in rows I already harvested.  Having 4 days off a week gives me time to be a part time farmer!

Awesome hobby and part time gig too! Haha. Really good stuff. My 2 $1 basil plants have made about 9 salads so far this year. Amazing if pruned correctly how much they keep coming back every 3-4 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome hobby and part time gig too! Haha. Really good stuff. My 2 $1 basil plants have made about 9 salads so far this year. Amazing if pruned correctly how much they keep coming back every 3-4 weeks. 

Our early harvest produced so much that my wife gave a couple gallon bags of lettuce and salad toppings to a client that is having a family reunion.  So we provided salads for about 16 people and we will be eating fresh for the next week or two. Feels good. 

• Like 2