Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

3 hours ago, rico said:

Well things were going pretty good.  Ate my first mess of green beans.  Have eaten a few cherry tomatoes.  Even had a green pepper.  Then from Friday until this morning I have received 4.7" of rain.  Didn't need it all at once.

No produce yet but this rain and heat have my plants going in overdrive. I've got 2 plants with clusters of green tomatoes just need them to turn red! Peppers are forming but I'm thinking at least another 10 days. Only thing I can't keep up with is my basil plants. Who knew $1 plants at Walmart would produce so much basil every 3 weeks!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No produce yet but this rain and heat have my plants going in overdrive. I've got 2 plants with clusters of green tomatoes just need them to turn red! Peppers are forming but I'm thinking at least another 10 days. Only thing I can't keep up with is my basil plants. Who knew $1 plants at Walmart would produce so much basil every 3 weeks!

Any time I've planted a garden in the past, it seems like one particular plant just goes gangbusters and takes over half the garden.  Had it happen 2 years ago with yellow squash and 3 years ago with lettuce.  And some of those squash grew to the size of footballs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rico said:

I apologize. haven't been taking any pics.

My garden is doing good sans tomatoes...always got to be one that sucks.  Or is that just my luck?

My phone went bust a couple weeks ago. Still waiting on my order. So no pics either. I usually plant 4-5 and have a couple underperform.  This year planted 7. All are doing great. My sun sugar is about 6ft right now. My giant syrians I did from seed are taking off. 

One interesting observation.  My tomatoes that spend most of their time in the shade during the day are growing much faster than the ones the get full sun. When I get s chance I will share a pic. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rico said:

I apologize. haven't been taking any pics.

My garden is doing good sans tomatoes...always got to be one that sucks.  Or is that just my luck?

My Brandywine Pinks are getting some blossom end rot on several of the tomatoes. Really discouraging. I’ve been fertilizing, but hasn’t seemed to help. 

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My phone went bust a couple weeks ago. Still waiting on my order. So no pics either. I usually plant 4-5 and have a couple underperform.  This year planted 7. All are doing great. My sun sugar is about 6ft right now. My giant syrians I did from seed are taking off. 

One interesting observation.  My tomatoes that spend most of their time in the shade during the day are growing much faster than the ones the get full sun. When I get s chance I will share a pic. 

If you see a bearded hipster with a man bun rooting around in your Giant Syrians, it will be me! Hope those continue to do well for you. The best tasting tomatoes I’ve had in ages. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

My Brandywine Pinks are getting some blossom end rot on several of the tomatoes. Really discouraging. I’ve been fertilizing, but hasn’t seemed to help. 

If you see a bearded hipster with a man bun rooting around in your Giant Syrians, it will be me! Hope those continue to do well for you. The best tasting tomatoes I’ve had in ages. 

I think the end rot is low calcium. Get some lime dust, maybe even make a lime dust water solution for faster absorption. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think the end rot is low calcium. Get some lime dust, maybe even make a lime dust water solution for faster absorption. 

Yeah, it’s most likely calcium deficiency (instead of watering issues) and I’ve noticed it’s only on one of the three plants, which is kind of weird. I think I’ll try some lime dust on it to see if I can save some of the late bloomers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, it’s most likely calcium deficiency (instead of watering issues) and I’ve noticed it’s only on one of the three plants, which is kind of weird. I think I’ll try some lime dust on it to see if I can save some of the late bloomers. 

I had that a couple years ago, and found a "recipe" that was crushed up eggshells put in vinegar overnight to break down the calcium in the eggshells.  Watered with that a couple times, and it took care of the issue.  Now I put eggshells under my tomatoes and peppers before I plant them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

That be a big negative there Dave...vinegar.

I believe he's referring to the Andy Griffith episode where we find out the one thing Aunt Bee can't do in the kitchen...jar pickles...

"Taste like kerosene" 

Edited by IUFLA

I know this will sound  weird, but.... It's me so just go with it.

I've got 4 tomato plants, in 2 - 5 gal buckets of (pure Horse) compost. I held out and didn't transplant until 10Jun, they were 5" tall then.

This morning they looked awesome, there are 9 total tomato's starting on them, I spent my "bonding time" with admiring their quick growth. I've got a boring life.

It's rained here, 3 times a day (ish) about everyday, for the last week it seems. Walked out this afternoon, wilted about 6", looked pitiful. I mean bad enough I wondered if I spilled roundup on them.

Gave a quick water job, 45 min later, back to normal, maybe even grew 1-2 ".. Damn I didn't think plants could rebound that fast. 

• Like 1

All my peppers are coming into form...bells, jalapenos, banana,etc.....I'd say another week until I eat routinely. What has me confused is my tomatoes. I literally have about 50+ green tomatoes (7 5 gallon potted plants) between normal, beefmaster, and cherry....but zero have turned red.

Anyone have an idea for this or just need more patience? I check on them each day but have felt like they are just staying green.