Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All my peppers are coming into form...bells, jalapenos, banana,etc.....I'd say another week until I eat routinely. What has me confused is my tomatoes. I literally have about 50+ green tomatoes (7 5 gallon potted plants) between normal, beefmaster, and cherry....but zero have turned red.

Anyone have an idea for this or just need more patience? I check on them each day but have felt like they are just staying green. 

IMG_3485.thumb.jpg.c5f7f5f28e397bd5c0f64f18f135d5e1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

All my peppers are coming into form...bells, jalapenos, banana,etc.....I'd say another week until I eat routinely. What has me confused is my tomatoes. I literally have about 50+ green tomatoes (7 5 gallon potted plants) between normal, beefmaster, and cherry....but zero have turned red.

Anyone have an idea for this or just need more patience? I check on them each day but have felt like they are just staying green. 

Show them this, they probably just need proper motivation..

Fried Green Tomatoes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

With "fruit" that big? :)

Well, if you know what you want I can find it. Wont be as good as Hindu Kush, more of the Hillbilly Southern variety.

I dont grow it, or smoke it, but I know where it is.

Im talkining about Tomatoes BTW. 

So many delicious options. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We had some friends from Philly staying at our place while we were in Italy and they were supposed to water our plants. I made a video for them showing how much water the tomatoes needed and directions for the other plants. It also seemed like NYC had a lot of rain while we were gone, so I felt pretty good about our plants. Buut we came back to brown and dying tomato plants and probably 30% of our flowers and herbs were toast. 

I spent the morning ripping out four completely fried tomato plants and pulled about seven containers of dead flowers and herbs. I have no idea how often they watered, but would be shocked if it was more than once. 

I need to set up a an irrigation system for our terrace for the future. You live an learn. At least our two cats were still alive!

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We had some friends from Philly staying at our place while we were in Italy and they were supposed to water our plants. I made a video for them showing how much water the tomatoes needed and directions for the other plants. It also seemed like NYC had a lot of rain while we were gone, so I felt pretty good about our plants. Buut we came back to brown and dying tomato plants and probably 30% of our flowers and herbs were toast. 

I spent the morning ripping out four completely fried tomato plants and pulled about seven containers of dead flowers and herbs. I have no idea how often they watered, but would be shocked if it was more than once. 

I need to set up a an irrigation system for our terrace for the future. You live an learn. At least our two cats were still alive!

Do you happen to have a spigot for a garden hose?

26 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Do you happen to have a spigot for a garden hose?

I do have one on our terrace. There seems to be dozens of popular irrigation systems, do you have experience with any you would recommend? I’ve always just done it by hand (with a hose of course) each morning. 

Edited by Lostin76

I think a pvc setup would work well in a small space like that.  You could get a small garden hose and a pvc fitting that would attach the hose to the pipe. Drill holes in the pvc. I would start small maybe 1/64th or 1/32 and set up a misting situation since you have so much. You can always make the holes bigger as needed. 

Would have to customize for you space but this is a good video. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Do you still have friends from Philly?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, rico said:

Do you still have friends from Philly?

Good question. I’m not thrilled with them, but realize it may have been a bit overwhelming to them. There are a lot of plants. I’m definitely doing a drip irrigation on a timer next year. Will be really nice not to have to worry about our plants when we want to go out of town. 

20 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Good question. I’m not thrilled with them, but realize it may have been a bit overwhelming to them. There are a lot of plants. I’m definitely doing a drip irrigation on a timer next year. Will be really nice not to have to worry about our plants when we want to go out of town. 

If only you'd had a cheese steak plant...

😉

• Haha 1